Cowboys Salary Cap Crunch News

textaz03

1 hour ago, D82 said:

this was my exact point that i made when i first heard that they were going to franchise TP.  i thought that it was a dumb move, especially for an injured RB.  DUMB!  Can the Boys still override this by signing a long term deal?  i am not totally cap savvy, but hopefully they can lower his yearly salary.

Edited by chumpy

33 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Cowboys currently have the 6th most cap space in the league according to OTC at $22.8M, and I’m not sure if that includes Zekes $10M or not. 

No it does not, his salary savings won’t be included until after June 1st since he was designated a post June 1st cut. 

40 minutes ago, chumpy said:

this was my exact point that i made when i first heard that they were going to franchise TP.  i thought that it was a dumb move, especially for an injured RB.  DUMB!  Can the Boys still override this by signing a long term deal?  i am not totally cap savvy, but hopefully they can lower his yearly salary.

Yes, a new contract can be worked out to lower the CAP charge. There is a deadline for that though, July 14th is the deadline to sign Franchise Players to a long term contract, if not, they will play at the Tag price. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Yes, a new contract can be worked out to lower the CAP charge. There is a deadline for that though, July 14th is the deadline to sign Franchise Players to a long term contract, if not, they will play at the Tag price. 

I wouldn’t do that. Just let him play on the damn tag. Who cares if it 60 % over what other RBs got in FA. It’s still only $10M. It isn’t going to break us. We have more cap space than most teams. Why would you want to sign another RB to a long term deal? Especially when we don’t even know what he’s going to be like after his ankle surgery. I would have preferred to let him hit FA but we didn’t do that, so let’s not make the situation worse by signing him to a long term contract. 

28 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I wouldn’t do that. Just let him play on the damn tag. Who cares if it 60 % over what other RBs got in FA. It’s still only $10M. It isn’t going to break us. We have more cap space than most teams. Why would you want to sign another RB to a long term deal? Especially when we don’t even know what he’s going to be like after his ankle surgery. I would have preferred to let him hit FA but we didn’t do that, so let’s not make the situation worse by signing him to a long term contract. 

Because Jerry and Steven like “Our Guys” so it’s gonna happen one way or another 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

No it does not, his salary savings won’t be included until after June 1st since he was designated a post June 1st cut. 

So in a way I am mixed.  28M is a nice number and I imagine almost half that will be carry over to help next year and it costs what 7 M for rooks.  That leaves 10 M easy peasy to still spend on WR if they want