Buyer Beware! Who are the players you have concerns about in the draft?

brownie man

I have 3 specifically 

1. Will Levis - I don’t think he has it. Isn’t a great decision maker and isn’t consistently accurate. I wouldn’t take him first round. He’s not as athletic as he is hyped to be and is an older player too at 24. Some team is going to reach on him because he looks the part but I see another Blaine Gabbert  in Levis. Watch out  

2. Tyree Wilson - Dont love the film. The thought there’s talk of him going above Carter or Anderson is ridiculous to me. I don’t see the bend that outside rushers need. I don’t see great pass rush moves. He’s big and have strength, but I don’t see the explosiveness or bend that top tier players have. I don’t see a number 1 pass rusher at all. No way I’m taking him about Myles Murphy. If you want to take Wilson late first I can understand but top half and you’ll miss out on better players. 

3. Quentin Johnston - Great athlete for sure. No doubt. And I get he had the WR 1 size, but to me he’s not a natural pass catcher. He makes some great catches for sure, but I don’t think he has those natural hands great receivers have. He’s also not a great route runner with is common from Big 12 players. 

People want him to be Drake London, as a big number 1 guy, but hes not that. He doesn’t have those natural grab the ball out of the air hands. I get Kevin White vibes. I do think he’ll have a better career and will actually be a player, but I don’t see a fluid natural pass catcher.  I see him as an early second rounder WR 2. 

4. Keion White - another guy who I don’t think has the bend or natural pass rush moves. Maybe he turns out to be great, but I don’t think I see it. He’s an athlete but I don’t think he’s going to be able to beat top tier tackles consistently. He is a good athlete with a good motor though I’ll give him that. 

5. Andre Carter - I think he’s a 34 end not at 43 outside pass rusher. I don’t see the bend or explosiveness which is understandable at his size. I get William Gholston vibes when I watch him. I’d rather build him up with his stoutness rather than try to develop him on the outside based on what I’ve seen. 

So these are some of the guys I’d be aware of based off what I’ve seen. I’ll had more as I watch more tape. I’ve pretty much been heavy on d line and receivers based on the Browns needs. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 2

I have real concerns about Bryce Young.  I know he's Kyler Murray sized but Kyler Murray is a world class athlete when it comes to "running away from people" and Young is not.  I can't get past seeing how Tua at 6'0" 217 and Herbert at 6'6" 236 have taken approximately the same number of hits, but the smaller guy is facing retirement due to accumulated concussions whereas Herbert is dealing with mostly Ribs and stuff that doesn't have long-term worries.

He's a good quarterback, but I don't know if he can hold up to the hits NFL QBs take at that size.

• Like 5

Kalijah Kancey. Just a small frame with 30.5" arms, fantastic athlete but will get overwhelmed.

Aaron Donald is significantly longer. I am a big believer that arm length is overblown but he is probably below threshold where it gets harder at the nfl level.

• Like 1

All the Rd 1 projected QBs, but Bryce Young in particular. History has been very unkind to QBs of his stature. I personally wouldn’t touch him in rd 1. Not sure about rd 2 either.

Darnell Washington - He’s going to be a decent OT at some point. Not so much as a TE.

I'm glad @brownie manmentioned Tyree Wilson. I just don't see it at all. He looks like a third rounder to me. I see no explosion, bend, ability to jump the snap or sift through lanes with any sort of urgency. I'm go as far as saying I don't think I even see a long-term NFL starter and yet folks are talking top-10

TL;DR He Clellen

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

It's alarming that everyone in this draft is quick to point out the flaws in the other 3 QBs (Bryce, Richardson, Levis) but are completely ignoring CJ Stroud's flaws. He has bust written all over him to me.

Stroud more or less has questions about athleticism and whether or not he's a byproduct of a great OT tandem with elite weapons around him. I personally think he's also got the highest floor given he ran a pro style system/route tree and has shown success in his reads and ball placement. His accuracy and downfield ability is outstanding.

The questions about his lack of athleticism are legitimate, and if you don't buy them you buy into the Georgia tape, and if you do buy into them, you see him getting sacked a lot in 2021 against UM and really not taking advantage of some clear running lanes/making off platform throws during his tenure at OSU.

Some say that OSU couldn't afford to get him hurt so chose not to run him until the playoff vs. Georgia when they "had to". Hard to say IMO.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Stroud more or less has questions about athleticism and whether or not he's a byproduct of a great OT tandem with elite weapons around him. I personally think he's also got the highest floor given he ran a pro style system/route tree and has shown success in his reads and ball placement. His accuracy and downfield ability is outstanding.

The questions about his lack of athleticism are legitimate, and if you don't buy them you buy into the Georgia tape, and if you do buy into them, you see him getting sacked a lot in 2021 against UM and really not taking advantage of some clear running lanes/making off platform throws during his tenure at OSU.

Some say that OSU couldn't afford to get him hurt so chose not to run him until the playoff vs. Georgia when they "had to". Hard to say IMO.

I just don't see it with Stroud. I'll admit the Georgia game was extremely impressive. Aside from that game tho he was not good under pressure whatsoever. I think a lot of QB's can thrive with a clean pocket throwing to legit superstar NFL WRs. His WR group in 2021 was so unbelievably stacked that Jameson Williams had to transfer because he couldn't even get on the field. Prior to the Georgia game he did not use his legs either whatsoever. When Bryce Young gets pressured he can escape the pocket but is always keeping his eyes downfield. He just has a much better feel for the game IMO.

1 minute ago, Greene N White said:

I just don't see it with Stroud. I'll admit the Georgia game was extremely impressive. Aside from that game tho he was not good under pressure whatsoever.

A fair criticism

1 minute ago, Greene N White said:

I think a lot of QB's can thrive with a clean pocket throwing to legit superstar NFL WRs. His WR group in 2021 was so unbelievably stacked that Jameson Williams had to transfer because he couldn't even get on the field. Prior to the Georgia game he did not use his legs either whatsoever. When Bryce Young gets pressured he can escape the pocket but is always keeping his eyes downfield. He just has a much better feel for the game IMO.

He always keeps his eyes downfield? Eh, I don't agree with that AT ALL. Dude stares guys down, is way too eager to escape the pocket, which oftentimes is a clean one, and respectfully has been surrounded by about as much talent at Alabama as Stroud has.

Here's what's funny about this hot take, to agree with my guy Blue:

On 3/4/2023 at 12:27 PM, Blue said:

But Young's eyes are visibly plastered to his right the entire time he's in the pocket, clearly staring down a receiver and waiting for him to come open. This play doesn't break down because the receiver can't get open or the line can't block, it's that he just stands there for ages looking for a single read until it devolves into backyard ball. And yes, Young is very good when the play breaks down. But you can't build an offense around that, and while he might be athletic enough to make the DL miss in space in college, the NFL is different.

If you're going to fairly criticize Stroud for the athleticism and pressure metrics, then I think it's more than warranted to criticize Young for the physical question marks and the fact that he's not nearly as athletic as he's been made out to be at his very small stature.

• Like 1