Career Year. It's gonna be HUUUGE!

SteelKing728

A motivated Jordan Phillips, second DT for Miami, has a shot in his third year to stay on the field for a majority of snaps. His peak play last year looked great, but his effort was inconsistent. With only Suh ahead of him, he needs to produce to keep the young guys behind him off the field.

Sticking with my own team, since that's who I know best, I think the primary candidate would be Jimmie Ward. He was a pretty solid cornerback, but he was a safety in college, and most people felt he would make a far better ranging free safety than cornerback, and we have finally moved him to safety. 

Arik Armstead has been very good on an efficiency basis with regards to pass rushing, but now he's moving to a new position where he's not exactly the most natural fit, so there are some questions there, so I can't really pick him. 

On offense, there isn't much. Vance McDonald would have an outside shot, I suppose, but I'm not even 100% certain he makes the team. I don't love Hyde's fit int he scheme, and the addition of a guy like Williams should suck out some of the upside there. And there's Hyde's constant injuries. It would take quite a bit to get a career year from Garcon, who's had a nice career, and I don't think that Hoyer throws deep enough to make Goodwin super useful. On offense, the guy who may be most likely to have a career year is Hoyer, though it doesn't really say much and "career year" may just mean he doesn't finish as a bottom 5 starting quarterback in the NFL. If you want to go deep sleeper, Trent Brown at Right Tackle could have a great year, but that's not exactly a sexy statistical position. 

For Atlanta:

DT Grady Jarrett. I'm thinking he gets 6-8 sacks this year in the regular season playing between Poe and Beasley

TE Austin Hooper. He's taking that next step.

For other teams:

WR Michael Thomas. Dude is a manimal.

EDIT - Just read no 2nd year guys. OK, CJ Fidorowitz. He showed glimpses of being a big, fast presence down the seam who could make some tough grabs in big moments. Doubt he'll ever crack top 10 status at TE, but he can earn a nice 2nd contract with a good enough season.

Defensively, Kevin Johnson was supposed to have the year that AJ Bouye had last season, emerging as the #1 CB on the team. Johnson has the traits to be a stellar cover CB, just needs to stay healthy.

Hmm.. that is tough for the Vikings. A lot of players have performed well before.

Andrew Sendejo, to see him step up and have a bigger impact than he's had before.

But I guess according to the first post, Trae Waynes would be the choice, but he didn't play that much as a rookie, so I don't know that it would be a career year for him in his third year.

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Hmm.. that is tough for the Vikings. A lot of players have performed well before.

Andrew Sendejo, to see him step up and have a bigger impact than he's had before.

But I guess according to the first post, Trae Waynes would be the choice, but he didn't play that much as a rookie, so I don't know that it would be a career year for him in his third year.

Danielle Hunter is the easy choice.

And I think Stefon Diggs is the other if he can stay healthy. He was great to start the season until he picked up a bunch of nagging injuries on the year.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Tavon Austin.  Austin has been fairly disappointing so far in his career, but he has played on really weak offensive teams and has suffered through poor coaching staffs.  I think all that changes this up-coming season.  I believe Sean McVay will utilize Tavon Austin summarily to how he used DeSean Jackson with the Redskins.  I am also high on Jared Goff.  Goff is going to reinvigorate the entire Rams offense this year, along with their improved offensive line and their running game led by Todd Gurley.  Austin is a tremendous playmaker and now that the offensive talent around him is has been improved, I believe we will see a drastic improvement in Austin's production.  

Tavon Austin prediction:  65 receptions, 1,138 receiving yards and 9 combined touchdowns.

He had a bit of a breakout last year but I feel like Derrick Morgan is going to have his first ever double digit sack season.This is year 4 at OLB under D!ck Lebeau, so he should come into the season extremely confident(especially after having a career high in sacks last year). I believe he also was among the league leaders in pressure last season. With what (hopefully) should be an improved secondary, those pressures should become sacks for him this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he was a pro bowler this upcoming season.

14 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Danielle Hunter is the easy choice.

And I think Stefon Diggs is the other if he can stay healthy. He was great to start the season until he picked up a bunch of nagging injuries on the year.

Yeah, Hunter would be a solid choice, however, with Zimmer's defensive rotation along the line, I wonder if he'll see that big a bump in stats.

Diggs is also a solid choice, didn't think about him as he's had a couple of solid years already, but if he does even better it still a career year, so here's hoping for that. I guess I was thinking of players who hadn't really even had a very good year yet as both Hunter and Diggs have had good years.

Ted Ginn Jr.  After moving Brandon Cooks to make Michael Thomas the #1 guy, they brought in Ted Ginn Jr to be the deep threat and our #2 WR.  He'll be playing with the best QB of his career and in a system that will give him plenty of opportunities to shine.

Archived