Career Year. It's gonna be HUUUGE!

SteelKing728

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Ted Ginn Jr.  After moving Brandon Cooks to make Michael Thomas the #1 guy, they brought in Ted Ginn Jr to be the deep threat and our #2 WR.  He'll be playing with the best QB of his career and in a system that will give him plenty of opportunities to shine.

I was just about to mention Cooks - you know Belly has some tricks up his hoodie sleeve to get Cooks the ball in space, and with that existing compliment of pass catchers around him, he'll get chances to make plays in space.

21 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

EDIT - Just read no 2nd year guys. OK, CJ Fidorowitz. He showed glimpses of being a big, fast presence down the seam who could make some tough grabs in big moments. Doubt he'll ever crack top 10 status at TE, but he can earn a nice 2nd contract with a good enough season.

Defensively, Kevin Johnson was supposed to have the year that AJ Bouye had last season, emerging as the #1 CB on the team. Johnson has the traits to be a stellar cover CB, just needs to stay healthy.

Is this going to slow become a "thing"? 

Texans CB/S has a career year and immediately hits FA. 

AJ Bouye, Glover Quin Jr, now Johnson? 

11 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Is this going to slow become a "thing"? 

Texans CB/S has a career year and immediately hits FA. 

AJ Bouye, Glover Quin Jr, now Johnson? 

Johnson will be re-upped, I think. He's still got the team 5th year option, and he's coming up as you're reaching the end of Jonathan Joseph's tenure. Smart money says if - and that is a big IF - Johnson stays healthy, you pick up his 5th year and use the savings on Joseph to create his extension. 

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Johnson will be re-upped, I think. He's still got the team 5th year option, and he's coming up as you're reaching the end of Jonathan Joseph's tenure. Smart money says if - and that is a big IF - Johnson stays healthy, you pick up his 5th year and use the savings on Joseph to create his extension. 

Ah I'm getting ahead of myself, thought he was into his 4th year. 

Yeah hopefully we make it work out. JJoe is on his last legs. 

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Ah I'm getting ahead of myself, thought he was into his 4th year. 

Yeah hopefully we make it work out. JJoe is on his last legs. 

It's a concern nonetheless. His health has been an issue, and he's going to be due a new deal right around the time we just doled out money for Jadevion Clowney and Bernardrick McKinney. McKinney will probably get the money saved on releasing Brian Cushing, but Clowney can potentially set the bar for defensive players - we're going to have to find a bit of change to make this all work. Wouldn't be shocked if CB/S Kareem Jackson is on the cutting block to make some of that room as well. 

If RT works itself out in the form of Davenport, I absolutely see CB being a big need going into the 2018 draft. Hopefully there's a few guys that last to the 3rd...

12 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

It's a concern nonetheless. His health has been an issue, and he's going to be due a new deal right around the time we just doled out money for Jadevion Clowney and Bernardrick McKinney. McKinney will probably get the money saved on releasing Brian Cushing, but Clowney can potentially set the bar for defensive players - we're going to have to find a bit of change to make this all work. Wouldn't be shocked if CB/S Kareem Jackson is on the cutting block to make some of that room as well. 

If RT works itself out in the form of Davenport, I absolutely see CB being a big need going into the 2018 draft. Hopefully there's a few guys that last to the 3rd...

Isn't CB an eternal need to the Texans xD.

But I agree with your points here. Hopefully Rick Smith can make it work (the cap seems to be the only thing he's good at) 

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, Hunter would be a solid choice, however, with Zimmer's defensive rotation along the line, I wonder if he'll see that big a bump in stats.

Diggs is also a solid choice, didn't think about him as he's had a couple of solid years already, but if he does even better it still a career year, so here's hoping for that. I guess I was thinking of players who hadn't really even had a very good year yet as both Hunter and Diggs have had good years.

Well my example was the LB from Buffalo who went from a nobody to having a great year, but in general, I'm just looking for career years for players who aren't rookies or 2nd year players.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:44 AM, scar988 said:

For other teams:

WR Michael Thomas. Dude is a manimal.

colbert-nation-fingers-crossed_zpsc10bbb

I think Willie Snead is a longshot to upstage him, his route running improves almost weekly. If he keeps building on what he did last year he might really be special too, especially if Thomas demands extra attention.

If the Saints plans with the run game works out and teams have to step up to defend the run, they might both have great years. But we all know how much Payton likes to run the ball.

3 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

colbert-nation-fingers-crossed_zpsc10bbb

I think Willie Snead is a longshot to upstage him, his route running improves almost weekly. If he keeps building on what he did last year he might really be special too, especially if Thomas demands extra attention.

If their plans with the run game work out and teams have to step up to defend the run, they might both have great years. But we all know how much Payton likes to run the ball.

NAw man. Snead is solid. But Thomas is the next top 5 WR from the division. He's taking a step to Julio, Mike Evans level this year.

4 minutes ago, scar988 said:

NAw man. Snead is solid. But Thomas is the next top 5 WR from the division. He's taking a step to Julio, Mike Evans level this year.

I mean if he's at that level and is demanding the coverage, Brees will just feed it to Snead over and over. Not that I think Snead is the better receiver, just that I think he's underestimated and could thrive opposite Thomas.

and yes, we're all expecting big things this year despite your attempt to jinx it.

10 hours ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

For the Packers - Ty Montgomery (if he can stay healthy) and Davon House. 

Ty is a good one. He seems very committed to the position change and he definitely flashed the skill set last year. Really looking forward to seeing what Monty does with a full off season at the position. 

Archived