Career Year. It's gonna be HUUUGE!

SteelKing728

I'll stick with the homer theme and go Mariota. 3rd year QB going into his second year in the system. Has a good OL in front of him, arguably the top RB duo in the league, a top 5 TE, and a receiving core that went from Rishard Matthews, Tajae Sharpe, and Kendall Wright to Rishard Matthews, Corey Davis, and Eric Decker as the top 3 WRs on the team. That's a huge difference in talent. All 3 can play multiple spots on the field unlike the previous 3. If the OL continues to play like last year and everyone stays relatively healthy, I expect a huge year for Mariota. It's still going to be a predominantly running team but I expect a lot more explosive plays from the receivers with more work down the field.

31 minutes ago, coors said:

I don't know what the Texans depth chart looks like but I just have a gut feeling that Braxton Miller is going to light things up this year.

I have a similar feeling as well. He's the #3 behind Hopkins and Fuller, but he'll be playing that slot WR spot that's reserved for Julian Edelman and Wes Welker in the Bill O'Brien New England offshoot offense.

Welker is now a WR coach for Houston, and Miller has been picking his brain non stop, apparently.

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I have a similar feeling as well. He's the #3 behind Hopkins and Fuller, but he'll be playing that slot WR spot that's reserved for Julian Edelman and Wes Welker in the Bill O'Brien New England offshoot offense.

Welker is now a WR coach for Houston, and Miller has been picking his brain non stop, apparently.

Sounds like a perfect situation for Miller. I'll be taking him in fantasy this year.

On 7/27/2017 at 4:28 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Martavis Bryant - If he stays out of trouble.

Ryan Shazier - If he stays healthy.

Bud Dupree - If he can improve his hand technique.

Non Steelers 

Breshad Perriman  - Tools are there...

Jadaveon Clowney - I think we start to see the sacks this year.

Shaq Thompson -  I like how he fits in the Panthers D.

Terrelle Pryor -  See what he can do now with a real QB.

Trey Flowers - Because Patriots.

Davante Parker -   Again, tools are there.

Bud's been working with Chuck Smith in Atlanta this offseason. Went to watch him and a few other guys there. Dude has his hands in great shape.

For the 49ers, the three candidates would be: 

• Marquise Goodwin - If any fantasy football players want a guy on the 49ers most likely to have a breakout season, it would appear to be Goodwin. He is using a more advanced route tree in San Francisco and has been the star of camp (60-yard TDs each practice). Kyle Shanahan is known for getting the most out of his skill position players, and we seem intent on pushing the ball downfield to the point where Goodwin would have a breakout year. There are a number of caveats here, however. By "breakout season" - I would expect his production to increase significantly over his previous best (last year), which would only land him around the 700 yard/5-6 TD range as our #2 WR. Also, his excellent play could be a result of our top 3 safeties being out with minor injuries. So...grain of salt. Still, on offense, he's about the only player that qualifies outside of Carlos Hyde, and I would not expect Hyde to stay healthy long enough to reach the 1,000 yard mark (which he almost did last year).
  • Arik Armstead - Third-year player, so close to the cut-off stated in the original post. Armstead was on the verge of having this breakout season last year before suffering an injured shoulder. He dropped about 15 pounds in order to gain extra speed, and is moving outside to our version of the LEO. If he remains as unblockable as he has been in camp, he could be our best version of a pass-rushing force. Again - that's not to expect anything extravagant in those numbers. I'd expect something in the 6-10 range for sacks with all-around solid play in year 3. 
  • Jimmie Ward - Drafted as a FS, and then played a lot of CB so he could see the field. Now the two former first round picks at safety (Eric Reid being the other) are both playing their natural position, which means Ward will finally get his chance at the roaming FS spot. Ward has played very well when healthy (a potential issue), but I could see easily see him excelling in the Earl Thomas-role on our defense. Certainly not suggesting he'll excel at Earl Thomas's level, but that he'll break-out compared to his relatively unknown status league-wide currently. 

Keep in mind that we don't expect the team to be very good this year in 49erland, so break-out for us will be muted by an otherwise poor team. These are players that could play their best this year and then increase production as the team (hopefully) gets better in the coming seasons.

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

For the 49ers, the three candidates would be: 

• Marquise Goodwin - If any fantasy football players want a guy on the 49ers most likely to have a breakout season, it would appear to be Goodwin. He is using a more advanced route tree in San Francisco and has been the star of camp (60-yard TDs each practice). Kyle Shanahan is known for getting the most out of his skill position players, and we seem intent on pushing the ball downfield to the point where Goodwin would have a breakout year. There are a number of caveats here, however. By "breakout season" - I would expect his production to increase significantly over his previous best (last year), which would only land him around the 700 yard/5-6 TD range as our #2 WR. Also, his excellent play could be a result of our top 3 safeties being out with minor injuries. So...grain of salt. Still, on offense, he's about the only player that qualifies outside of Carlos Hyde, and I would not expect Hyde to stay healthy long enough to reach the 1,000 yard mark (which he almost did last year).
  • Arik Armstead - Third-year player, so close to the cut-off stated in the original post. Armstead was on the verge of having this breakout season last year before suffering an injured shoulder. He dropped about 15 pounds in order to gain extra speed, and is moving outside to our version of the LEO. If he remains as unblockable as he has been in camp, he could be our best version of a pass-rushing force. Again - that's not to expect anything extravagant in those numbers. I'd expect something in the 6-10 range for sacks with all-around solid play in year 3. 
  • Jimmie Ward - Drafted as a FS, and then played a lot of CB so he could see the field. Now the two former first round picks at safety (Eric Reid being the other) are both playing their natural position, which means Ward will finally get his chance at the roaming FS spot. Ward has played very well when healthy (a potential issue), but I could see easily see him excelling in the Earl Thomas-role on our defense. Certainly not suggesting he'll excel at Earl Thomas's level, but that he'll break-out compared to his relatively unknown status league-wide currently. 

Keep in mind that we don't expect the team to be very good this year in 49erland, so break-out for us will be muted by an otherwise poor team. These are players that could play their best this year and then increase production as the team (hopefully) gets better in the coming seasons.

Agree with this for the most part. I'm a little worried about Ward, but based on early reports, I Think goodwin and armstead certainly have to be the favorites. ARmstead has always been very good on a per play basis, he just hasn't gotten much on the field time his first two years. Hopefully this year he stays on the field and keeps up the effectiveness. Dropping 15 pounds into the mid 270's and letting the athleticism fly. I can't wait to see him from the LEO in game. 

Goodwin just seems to be taking to Shanny's system and you almost never hear a bad thing about him in camp. IT's crazy. Not sure if this is just camp nonsense or what given his lack of production in Buffalo, but he's been having his way with the secondary. I'd say he has the #2 spot locked down, and if that's the case, I'd almost guarantee a career year from him as well, though I'm not sure exactly how good that will be. 

Archived