Vikings no longer hooked on a Thielen

swede700

So Kendricks out, Thielen out and possibly Z. Smith and Dalvin Cook....

What do they gain by this?  Sign Garrett Bradbury long term?  That would be a big bourns!

Hopefully something good can come out of this.  Now with that 1st round pick at the moment CB, WR, ILB and C are all still on the table along with soon to be RB potentially.  Honestly I would rather have kept Thielen than keeping Dalvin Cook but maybe they get rid of him as well.

Out of these guys who could all be around in the 1st round, who is the better most elite level player.  I would go Bijan all day if Cook is cut.  Quentin did ok at the combine, disappointed he did not run the 40 though, did not really standout in the field drills either.  Bijan was awesome, would love the upgrade of him over Cook.

Bijan Robinson Texas JR RB
Quentin Johnston TCU JR WR
Zay Flowers Boston College SR WR
Jalin Hyatt Tennessee JR WR
Jahmyr Gibbs Alabama JR RB

I don't think they're resigning Bradbury either.  What do they gain?  Cap flexibility for 2024.  They truly have sufficient WRs to get by in 2023...they may bring in a cheaper veteran and potentially draft one or add UDFAs, but Thielen wasn't going to be here long-term and cost a lot of money...so for his sake (as he won't have to take a significant pay cut in the FA market) and theirs, it was best to let him go.     

• Like 2

With that 3rd round Vikings pick all these guys could be around at WR so that is nice.  Maybe address DL with free agency and get a cheap WR like a rookie and all of them have potential to be solid pros.  

Josh Downs UNC JR WR
Nathaniel Dell Houston RS JR WR
Kayshon Boutte LSU JR WR
Cedric Tillman Tennessee SR WR
Jayden Reed Michigan State RS SR WR
Jonathan Mingo Ole Miss SR WR
Parker Washington Penn State JR WR

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think they're resigning Bradbury either.  What do they gain?  Cap flexibility for 2024.  They truly have sufficient WRs to get by in 2023...they may bring in a cheaper veteran and potentially draft one or add UDFAs, but Thielen wasn't going to be here long-term and cost a lot of money...so for his sake (as he won't have to take a significant pay cut in the FA market) and theirs, it was best to let him go.     

That would be wonderful if they do not resign Bradbury.  I would hate if they did because he is a clear weak link and not work that type of cash in my opinion.  Clearly they need money to sign Jefferson but it will be interesting what they do with all these new cash they have on had and how they use it.  I do not view Osborn as a 2nd WR and behind him is nothing much either so they will probably address that WR spot in the draft.

A team will probably sign Thielen but if not he could easily get a job at NFL Network and work his way up....he is good on camera.  

Edited by Ozzy

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Nathaniel Dell Houston RS JR WR
Kayshon Boutte LSU JR WR
Cedric Tillman Tennessee SR WR
Jayden Reed Michigan State RS SR WR
Jonathan Mingo Ole Miss SR WR
Parker Washington Penn State JR WR

what are your thoughts on Boutte. Just flat out, horrible, bad combine. Is he really that unathletic? If not, how do you rate him basically just tanking the most important job interview of his life?

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

what are your thoughts on Boutte. Just flat out, horrible, bad combine. Is he really that unathletic? If not, how do you rate him basically just tanking the most important job interview of his life?

Sure he did not run great and really standout but a 4.5 40 is not that bad, not like he ran a 4.8 or something.  His physical size I am sure will remind many of Deebo with that thick build but not sure he is as tough after the catch but teams will like his built for sure.  

Right now I have the Vikings getting Jonathan Mingo, big dude something the Vikings do not have at 6-2 220 and he had a fine combine with great numbers for a big guy at 4.46 40, 39.5" vertical, 22 reps at 225.  He could be a great 3rd rounder.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Hey guys -  there's a draft thread for this kind of stuff. Can we talk about Adam Thielen here?

True, he is one of the best stories in the NFL, and in terms of the state someone like him might never come along again.  To be that productive and successful as a UDFA out of a D2 school, super impressive.  But hard to not think about ok what are they thinking and what do they do from here?  Sure gain money to sign Jefferson long term but it sure does seem like a ton of moves and guys being cut.  And I say again I would rather cut Cook than Thielen who I think is great for the locker room and still can play.  I thought the same about Kyle Rudolph and his play has really dropped off the past two years, not sure that will happen with Thielen but we will see.  He could retire now though and be plenty happy I am sure and financially rock solid.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure he did not run great and really standout but a 4.5 40 is not that bad, not like he ran a 4.8 or something.  His physical size I am sure will remind many of Deebo with that thick build but not sure he is as tough after the catch but teams will like his built for sure.  

it wasnt just the 40 time.

28 inch vet which is below 1 percentile for position.

9'10 broad which is 45th percentile for the position.

Only with a shuttle of 4.25 which is just average. 

It was incredibly rough. the 4.5 40 was the best thing he did and that is just a bit above average.

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

it wasnt just the 40 time.

28 inch vet which is below 1 percentile for position.

9'10 broad which is 45th percentile for the position.

Only with a shuttle of 4.25 which is just average. 

It was incredibly rough. the 4.5 40 was the best thing he did and that is just a bit above average.

• Like 2

Bummer of a move and a needed one.

Find it interesting that it wasn't for the greater cap savings with 6/1 date. 

But from the Thielen side of things, he will make more money on the market than he would have with the Vikings. The WR market is thin and the Vikings are tight on cap. I wonder how many more moves will get made today.

• Like 1