Vikings no longer hooked on a Thielen

swede700

6 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

Bit surprised that this is a pre-June 1st cut.

I'm not that surprised. Clean books to start 2024 seems like a clear objective for Kwesi and Co.

I wonder what his new deal will look like. I'm guessing he'll pul ~12m/yr AAV over 3 years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

Some shade from Thielen's wife earlier today on instagram...not sure how you could say Thielen wasn't given opportunity here. He also had 107 targets last year which is fairly good for a WR2

Ha! He only had 1 more target in 2020 when he caught 14 TD passes.

Thielen ranks third in team history in receptions (534) and receiving touchdowns (55) and fourth in receiving yards (6,682).

Those numbers, along with his humble career origin story, elevated Thielen to folk hero status around the state, resonating from Lake Superior's North Shore to Southwest Minnesota and his Detroit Lakes hometown in Northwest Minnesota down to Bluff Country by the Mississippi River.

The legacy added another chapter in 2022 when Thielen was named Vikings Community Man of the Year for his work through Thielen Foundation, which he launched in 2018.

vikings.com

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

Some shade from Thielen's wife earlier today on instagram...not sure how you could say Thielen wasn't given opportunity here. He also had 107 targets last year which is fairly good for a WR2

It must be hard, she helps run his foundation which is clearly locally based, "blogs" raises their three kids and now is about to move or be without a husband over half of the week if not for months potentially.  Sucks that in pro sports, there is zero loyalty anymore, players come and go constantly and no player plays with one team anymore it seems.  Kind of sucks but sure helps the NFL off season with all the player movement, they took a page from the NBA, constant player movement all the time means constant headlines and in the news/sports talk.  

Zero loyalty anymore though, used to have a big in college sports but now with the transfer portal that is out the window as well.  Once a player ages and production dips they are out, especially in the NFL.  

Of course Thielen can still play but is it worth moving the entire family for a year or two somewhere else?  It would suck but I guess that is why they get the big bucks obviously.

Thielen-Foundation-Family.jpg

Adam+wife+cari.jpg

But really Thielen is one of the lucky ones, and I am sure would be fine retiring if need be.

"The median salary for all NFL players is $860,000. Not a shabby income, but still far below the $2 million that gets more publicity. For perspective, a starting one-year rookie has a minimum income of $435,000. Most of the attention from the press is on the stunningly high incomes of top quarterbacks. A few of them have contracts paying upward of $25 to $30 million per year. The average salary for all quarterbacks is $5,766,000, but the median income is $1,100,000. Defensive ends come in after the quarterbacks with high salary contracts. Defensive ends have an average income of $2,625,000 and a median salary of $847,300."

"The National Collegiate Athletics Association estimates that the total number of players in college football is slightly over 73,000. The NFL took 253 players in its last draft. This means the odds of playing football in college and making it to the NFL is 1.6 percent. The likelihood of a high school football player getting to the NFL is only 0.2 percent."

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Of course Thielen can still play but is it worth moving the entire family for a year or two somewhere else?  It would suck but I guess that is why they get the big bucks obviously.

They've been out of Minny for a while now. they live in Florida now.

• Like 1

Just now, battle2heaven said:

They've been out of Minny for a while now. they live in Florida now.

I thought that was in addition to their Minnesota home?  I guess maybe he already knew about their intensions awhile back.  Joe Burrow bought up farm land in Iowa, that does not mean he is moving to Iowa.  Investing in property is always a good idea, especially farm land which there is less and less of.  And buying some fancy house in Florida is not a bad idea either, Air BNB that thing and pay the mortgage that way as an income property over half the year.  

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, they probably live there in the winter..I think they still have the house in Woodbury....at least they still own it.   

Wow, their house is only a few miles from my house.  The houses on that street are fairly new construction, so they must have purchased it recently.

Sad day. 

I think if Thielen really wanted to stay in Minnesota, he could have at a reduced cost.  He thinks he'll have more opportunities elsewhere to earn money and be a bigger part of an offense which is fine. 

He's never been a free agent before and I don't think he has ever been on a team outside of Minnesota so he might be looking forward to seeing what else is out there

• Like 1

Adam Thielen made a Hallmark movie-esque career out of proving doubters wrong.

But a decade after it started, Thielen's career with the Vikings ended on Friday. The coldest, most factual explanation for the Vikings' decision: the doubters might finally be right about Thielen.

Last season there were 40 receivers who were targeted at least 93 times. Among those 40 most targeted receivers, Thielen ranked dead last in receiving yards per route run at 1.08, per Pro Football Focus.

One other comparison: Thielen averaged just 2.7 yards of separation from his defender in 2022, down from 3.1 yards in 2021. If you're not as open — perhaps as a result of having lost a step through age, injury or both — you aren't going to have the ball thrown your way as much.

https://www.startribune.com/adam-thielen-vikings-numbers-didnt-add-up-release-randball/600257843/

This situation brings to mind the issue that many people had about Spielman, that he would hang onto players a year too late.  It appears that this new regime doesn't seem to have that same tendency.  While it may not be a "year early" like Belichick has long professed, but this particular case appears to be right on time. 

• Like 2