2023 Off-season Thread

tyler735

Glad to have Juwan back. Hopefully he can build on last season and become a reliable threat for us in the passing game.

I'm expecting the Michael Thomas and David Onyemata extensions to happen soon as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Yep Michael Thomas definitely sounds like he wants to be back with the Saint and seems very hungry to make an impact on the field again. 

The moment he started chirping at Nick Underhill on Twitter I figured he was returning. Hopefully it's a heavily incentivized deal and he earns every dollar of it. 

• Like 1

Glad both of them are getting paid.  Now it's time for:

#40 + 2024 1st for #18 and #81 of Detroit

#18-Calijah Kancey, DT Pittsburgh

#29-Mazi Smith, DT Michigan

Boom our IDL is actually better than Tuttle/Onyemata and cheaper.

3 hours ago, whodatOL said:

Onyemata and Tuttle are getting paid. Huge numbers for both of the IMO. IDL is such a huge need, hope we get someone cheap as a veteran presence there.

Way way more than I though they would get.

2 hours ago, Raves said:

Glad both of them are getting paid.  Now it's time for:

#40 + 2024 1st for #18 and #81 of Detroit

#18-Calijah Kancey, DT Pittsburgh

#29-Mazi Smith, DT Michigan

Boom our IDL is actually better than Tuttle/Onyemata and cheaper.

With how much IDL is getting paid, double dipping in the draft feels like a must. 

The good news is that there are still several quality options available in free agency at DT/DE. We also have shown patience to not overpay in free agency in recent years (. I don't think we need to trade up or "double dip" in the draft. I think we will create enough cap space to come away with 1 or 2 free agent signings on the DL and probably use a high draft pick on one as well. A list of top DL still available below.

DE:

Yannick Ngakoue

Jadeveon Clowney

Arden Key

Leonard Floyd

Calais Campbell

Melvin Ingram

Samson Ebukam

Frank Clark

Justin Houston

DT:

Poona Ford

Fletcher Cox

Sheldon Rankins

A'Shawn Robinson

Greg Gaines

Larry Ogunjobi

Not saying all of those guys are perfect scheme fits, but there is plenty of talent available at DL. If some of these guys make it a few more days (highly likely) past the first couple big waves of free agency spending, it's much more likely we can work out some good deals. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tyler735 said:

The good news is that there are still several quality options available in free agency at DT/DE. We also have shown patience to not overpay in free agency in recent years (. I don't think we need to trade up or "double dip" in the draft. I think we will create enough cap space to come away with 1 or 2 free agent signings on the DL and probably use a high draft pick on one as well. A list of top DL still available below.

DE:

Yannick Ngakoue

Jadeveon Clowney

Arden Key

Leonard Floyd

Calais Campbell

Melvin Ingram

Samson Ebukam

Frank Clark

Justin Houston

DT:

Poona Ford

Fletcher Cox

Sheldon Rankins

A'Shawn Robinson

Greg Gaines

Larry Ogunjobi

Not saying all of those guys are perfect scheme fits, but there is plenty of talent available at DL. If some of these guys make it a few more days (highly likely) past the first couple big waves of free agency spending, it's much more likely we can work out some good deals. 

We need to sign at least 1 or 2 vets before the draft. I don't want us to feel forced into drafting a player and reach as a result, especially in the 1st if the best DT prospects are gone.

47 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

We need to sign at least 1 or 2 vets before the draft. I don't want us to feel forced into drafting a player and reach as a result, especially in the 1st if the best DT prospects are gone.

I agree and think the front office is on that now that they got the cap situation worked out and got Carr/Thomas figured out.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:41 AM, whodatOL said:

Onyemata and Tuttle are getting paid. Huge numbers for both of the IMO. IDL is such a huge need, hope we get someone cheap as a veteran presence there.

Yep one of those things where they weren’t bad players by any means and now we have holes there…. But both were overpays and I’m glad they aren’t here for that price.