2023 Off-season Thread

tyler735

And just like that our DL is looking much better today with the additions of Saunders and Shepherd. I’m sure we will still add at least one more DL in the draft/free agency, but now we can truly take BPA with our early draft picks.

I must say I’m really excited about this Khalen Saunders signing. He turns 27 right before the seasons starts and should be just entering his prime. He’s coming off his best season last year with the Super Bowl champs. He made some real impact plays in the Chiefs playoff run. He’s very athletic for a guy that is 320+lbs. There are several examples of him in pursuit to the sideline keeping containment. Should be an asset both as a pass rusher creating pressure up the middle and helping in the run game.

• Like 1

Yeah on Reddit Chiefs fans can't stop gushing about Saunders.  Sounds like a guy hindered by injuries for years and finally was healthy and put together a good season.  Apparently both are more run stuffers than guys to get after the QB.  I think this is all more about just getting proven players, even just solid/good rotation players, to have the veteran presence at DT there for the likely 1+ rookies we draft.  I think with them both being more of the run stuffers this would really give us the opportunity to move up for Kancey in the draft and not feel a need to get a run stuffing rookie next to him.

Also since Carter apparently did poorly on his pro day, I'm assuming his legal issues has been causing him a lot of stress without football providing him a way to release it, he might end up slipping further than expected.  He's someone I'd probably be willing to give up quite a bit to move up for and snag.  Once his legal issues are over and he's able to get back into focusing on football like he did at Georgia he'll be back to the potential #1 overall pick we expected.

RB isn't really a need anymore. I would still like for us to take a flyer on one in the 4th or 5th for depth purposes, but we no longer have to commit a higher pick for one with the Williams signing.

We're setting ourselves up nicely to go BPA at every pick.

Edited by JMG5

We have had a great start to free agency so far. Brought in some solid players without overspending. Probably won’t need to draft a RB until day 3 unless a top RB is still there in the 3rd round. Otherwise get me Mohamed Ibrahim on day 3 and I will be thrilled with our current stable of RB’s.

4 hours ago, Raves said:

Ummm so our needs are now... penetrating DT, replacing Peat, getting an inline big TE that can catch to pair with Juwan, and getting younger at DE, LB, and safety?

Pretty much that, but maybe a WR instead of a TE. Can't put all of our eggs in the Michael Thomas basket.

7 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Pretty much that, but maybe a WR instead of a TE. Can't put all of our eggs in the Michael Thomas basket.

Well I was thinking someone like Jonathan Mingo in the 5th or Matt Landers if he falls to the 7th...

On 3/16/2023 at 8:28 AM, Raves said:

Well I was thinking someone like Jonathan Mingo in the 5th or Matt Landers if he falls to the 7th...

I think you need to take another WR pretty high. The WR corps is average if MT misses a bunch of games again. Olave and Shaheed is probably a bottom 10 duo unless Olave becomes a top 10 guy.

Looks like we re-signed Malcolm Roach. Our DT situation continues to look more promising this offseason.

Looks like we also signed former 1st round pick Safety Johnathan Abram who could be a nice role player for us. He’s not good in coverage, but is an absolute thumper in the run game. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 11:22 PM, SWATcha said:

Cool video from Baldinger on Rashid Shaheed. Glad the Saints extended him. Looking forward to seeing if he can build on last season. (Hopefully Carr can hit him on those deep routes!)

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/31/nfl-analyst-brian-baldinger-rashid-shaheed-saints-highlights/

I'm a big fan of Baldi, and his breakdowns are fun. We're lucky to have Shaheed, and he's another feather in the cap of our Scouting crew.

The kid is fun to watch!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those keeping track, the Saints have done the following this offseason:

Signed - 1 D-End, 2 Safeties, 2 D-Backs, 2 D-Tackles, 1 LB, 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, and 1 O-Tackle (12 total)
Re-signed - 2 D-Backs, 1 LB, 1 D-Tackle, 1 TE, and 1 Punter (6 total)
Total of 18 signed/re-signed players.

Left the Saints: 1 O-Lineman, 1 QB, 2 WRs, 1 Safety, 1 D-End, 1 LB, 2 D-Tackles 
Total of 9 left.

Yet to re-sign: 3 RBs, 1 WR, 1 O-Lineman, 2 D-Lineman, 1 LB, 3 D-Backs
Total of 11 players. Most of whom underperformed or are aging.

When I have more time, I can get specific with the list, I just thought I'd throw out what's been going on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...