2023 Off-season Thread

tyler735

15 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Saints brought John Gruden in to help implement the offense they will be running with Carr?

thanks. I'm in England and enjoy reading and have come to relish people's incite and opinions in the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 2:10 AM, jcvoodoo said:

thanks. I'm in England and enjoy reading and have come to relish people's incite and opinions in the forum.

The offseason hasn't been too crazy for us, and we've landed a few really good FA's to the mix with Carr and Williams (RB).

There's some slight chatter that support us looking into Dalvin Cook, which could be interesting considering the unknown future of Kamara (who will undoubtedly be suspended and possibly serve time).

Michael Thomas appears to be healthy, and has a fire burning in him. He is loving working with Carr so far, and spirits seem high.

We do look like the clear front runner to with the NFC South. Lots and lots of changes to this team this year.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 4:54 PM, Mid Iowa said:

The offseason hasn't been too crazy for us, and we've landed a few really good FA's to the mix with Carr and Williams (RB).

There's some slight chatter that support us looking into Dalvin Cook, which could be interesting considering the unknown future of Kamara (who will undoubtedly be suspended and possibly serve time).

Michael Thomas appears to be healthy, and has a fire burning in him. He is loving working with Carr so far, and spirits seem high.

We do look like the clear front runner to with the NFC South. Lots and lots of changes to this team this year.

thanks Mid ;)

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 8:54 AM, Mid Iowa said:

I saw the Cook chatter, thought it was interesting. Very similar skill set to Kamara, but with actual breakaway speed. I watched quite a few Vikings games last year, and Cook seemed cooked at times. Other times dude seemed his usual stud self.

If Kamara is set to miss a lengthy period of time, Cook could be a serviceable replacement. Still all depends on Pete's ability to run an offense, and use his personnel to their fullest potential. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Still all depends on Pete's ability to run an offense, and use his personnel to their fullest potential. 

Here are my thoughts on Pete:

He was working with "scab" QB's. It could have been (total speculation here) that he kinda threw his hands up and said "what the h*ll, let's give this a try".
We have to consider that Pete has also been coordinator and/or coaching with Brees for a long, long time. . Brees/Pete also had the luxury of McAlister and Bush, so when Pete took the official Coordinator position in 2009, they were melded, and they won the Big One.

So, I'm hoping Pete can use some of that mojo with DA/Carr, a somewhat known language, and gain better production.

Our RB corps is better this year. Our WR corps could be off the f'ing hook if Thomas is healthy (signs are showing that he is), and if our line holds, the O is gonna be fun.

We already know what our D is capable of, and where it's weak. If they've plugged some holes, we're in for a special season.

So, Pete may be playing with house money again, rather than trying to work with a 52 card pickup game with only 25 seconds to get it right.

I'd love to know your thoughts here, because sometimes I read things totally wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Here are my thoughts on Pete:

He was working with "scab" QB's. It could have been (total speculation here) that he kinda threw his hands up and said "what the h*ll, let's give this a try".........so when Pete took the official Coordinator position in 2009, they were melded, and they won the Big One.

I'm not totally following what you're laying down here. Give what a try, exactly? Sucking? Mission accomplished! Lol. Regardless of who was at QB, it was his job to get the most he could out of that offense. He failed miserably. 

They won the big one with Payton calling plays and running the offense. That was only the 3rd or 4th year of his tenure. regardless of Pete's title, Payton was still 100% driving that boat. 

I think Pete's career has been buoyed by Payton. There's a reason he's never gone anywhere else or received offers. Some guys will always be great #2 guys. They shine by being the guy, behind THE guy. I think that's Pete, and probably Allen as well. I mean, obviously I hope I'm wrong here and the Saints offense is high octane again, but I'm skeptical. Pete showed 0 creativity last year. You have to be able to cook with the ingredients you're given....

• Like 2

I think Pete's career has been buoyed by Payton. There's a reason he's never gone anywhere else or received offers. Some guys will always be great #2 guys. They shine by being the guy, behind THE guy. I think that's Pete, and probably Allen as well. I mean, obviously I hope I'm wrong here and the Saints offense is high octane again, but I'm skeptical. Pete showed 0 creativity last year. You have to be able to cook with the ingredients you're given....

I'm not intending to argue, just trying to piece it all together.

We could say Payton needed Carmichael, too. We haven't seen Payton do anything without him, so it might be the ole Rocket Fuel scenario. That said, our sample size from Pete is 1 season, and with a pieced together, injury riddled offense.

And, both Payton & Carmichael had Brees. We've seen what Bill B. has accomplished before and after Brady (not much). Where teams went after Peyton Manning left/retired etc...

I agree with your last paragraph, for sure. And, I'm anxious to see if the lightbulb went on during this offseason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm not intending to argue, just trying to piece it all together.

We could say Payton needed Carmichael, too. We haven't seen Payton do anything without him, so it might be the ole Rocket Fuel scenario. That said, our sample size from Pete is 1 season, and with a pieced together, injury riddled offense.

And, both Payton & Carmichael had Brees. We've seen what Bill B. has accomplished before and after Brady (not much). Where teams went after Peyton Manning left/retired etc...

I agree with your last paragraph, for sure. And, I'm anxious to see if the lightbulb went on during this offseason.

No arguments here brother. We're rooting for the same team! I always want the Saints to do great. Watching the offense last year took me back to the yesteryears though. After being the Aints for so many years, we were spoiled with that Brees/Payton combo. I keep flashing back to the Kamara usage last year, and how unaggressive Allen was, so I'm just skeptical. 

• Like 2

No arguments here brother. We're rooting for the same team! I always want the Saints to do great. Watching the offense last year took me back to the yesteryears though. After being the Aints for so many years, we were spoiled with that Brees/Payton combo. I keep flashing back to the Kamara usage last year, and how unaggressive Allen was, so I'm just skeptical. 

Right on. I'm skeptical, too. I think I'm just trying to float it out into the universe that we're going to be okay.

Last year WAS uninspired football.

Cheers, SWATcha!

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, jcvoodoo said:

What's the story with Kamara? How's Miller's injury? What do folks think about the return of Jimmy?

Kamara was convicted of a misdemeanor “Breach of Peace”, the other charges have been thrown out and the civil suit is over… now we wait to hear about a suspension, which should be a minor one given the lack of serious conviction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dome said:

Kamara was convicted of a misdemeanor “Breach of Peace”, the other charges have been thrown out and the civil suit is over… now we wait to hear about a suspension, which should be a minor one given the lack of serious conviction.

much appreciated

On 7/29/2023 at 6:49 PM, Scoundrel said:

Miller is healthy and looks quick out there

thanks. I am also excited to see ATP