DaRon Payne signed for 4year/90 mil 60 guaranteed

ARTMONK HOF

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Maybe they were really afraid he would go to Dallas at some point... This is just baffling both in a positive and negative way. Love resigning him, hate the cost. It also makes the staff look even more incompetent with their roster decisions. Why draft Mathis in the 2nd last year if your plan is for him to not get significant playing time? Are they viewing 2nd rounders as a non-prime pick? Especially given the fact that Mathis is only one year younger than Payne. 

I just don't get this at all.

Payne obviously outplayed what they thought he would last season & Mathis got hurt thus not showing he could be a definite replacement for Payne if they traded him away or didn’t re-sign him.

The selection of Mathis still made sense at the time bc they lost Settle & were thinking of cutting Ioannidis after trading for Wentz.

The front office can not control how that played out last season w/ Payne playing like one of the top DTs in the NFL & with Mathis getting hurt.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Yes and no. I've sort of moved away from the giant contracts we used to hand out but I think those mid-tier free agents are where its at. Irv Smith Jr., Devin Bush, Shaquille Griffin/Ronald Darby etc. The only guy I would spend on is Mike McGlinchey. McGlinchey frees you up to move Cosmi to to OG and then if you can get John Michael Schmitz in the second that really improves the OL. I'd also go out on a limb and say Chris Paul is going to be given a chance to win one of the guard spots. 

So for me, with our remaining cap space I'd sign:

Irv Smith Jr

Mike McGlinchey

Devin Bush

Greedy Williams/Ronald Darby/Shaquille Griffin

Irv Smith? He’s been nearly as injured as Chase Roullier. Irv Smith can’t stay healthy. He’s missed 12 games over the last two years. No thanks to that. 

And I know you’re going to bring up Logan Thomas’s injury history the last two years. The difference is that Logan is already in house and has chemistry with the other players on this team.

For corner we need a slot guy so that puts Darby out. I’m not sure if Griffin or Greedy played in the slot, I’ll have to look around about that.

16 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Honestly, I’d probably keep Leno at LT and pop Brown over to RT until I was ready to let Leno go. Would love to see if you could create a really dominant right side with Cosmi inside of Brown. 

Would be sort of hilarious if they just went obsessively all-in on the OL and did that, and then took Torrence and Schmitz in the draft. I’m only half-kidding actually: Leno - Torrence - Schmitz - Cosmi - Zeus from left to right. Is that potentially the best OL in the league a year from now? I have to think maybe it would be.

Will Brown agree to play RT? He wanted out of Baltimore bc they wanted to keep him at RT. 

Maybe he won’t have a choice, but it seems to me that if he isn’t playing LT he’ll be a malcontent.

Personally, I’d rather just draft a RT in R1 or R2 rather than spending huge $ on a guy like Brown who doesn’t want to play RT anyway.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

It’s too much money, and pretty obviously so. I wouldn’t mind so much if it also wasn’t mostly guaranteed, but I find that part concerning on multiple levels. It’s one thing to give a guy a contract that looks huge on paper but is actually a lot of funny money in the back end — but this isn’t that. It can’t be, if $60M of it is guaranteed.

Assuming the reported numbers are accurate, that means no bailing out if he drops off (or gets seriously injured), and it also means it gets much tougher to re-work the deal. Can’t convert money to “guaranteed” for cap savings when it’s already guaranteed, and there’s not a ton of incentive for him to restructure when most of his money is coming to him regardless. 

At the same time, as @lavar703 said, who else are they really going to spend the money on? Hard to be too mad at them giving money to a good player and seemingly good dude who has been with us from jump. Would I have given that contract to Orlando Brown over Payne? Probably, but he may get even more than that, and he’s no great bet to age well. 

It depends how the guarantees are structured. Also, Payne earned this, I have no problem with paying him. I’d rather pay Payne than another teams FA who probably won’t be worth the $ we spend on him like usual.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Will Brown agree to play RT? He wanted out of Baltimore bc they wanted to keep him at RT. 

Maybe he won’t have a choice, but it seems to me that if he isn’t playing LT he’ll be a malcontent.

Personally, I’d rather just draft a RT in R1 or R2 rather than spending huge $ on a guy like Brown who doesn’t want to play RT anyway.

I think the LT vs RT thing was more about him not wanting to get pigeonholed as a “RT-only” player prior to FA, which would have cost him a ton of money in the long run. 

In this situation, we’d be paying him like an LT, which is what he always wanted. We’d just be using him at RT initially, because we have a pretty decent LT already and Zeus’s superpower of mauling and pile-driving plays so naturally on the right side. 

In any event, it’s a moot point now. I think they’re more likely to shop for OL in the mid-tier store — either a good guard (Nate Davis?) or a middling RT (Jawaan Taylor?), I’d wager.

Payne previously had a cap number of $18.937 million. The $28 million signing bonus, spread over four years, and the base salary of $2.51 million dropped the cap number to $9.51 million.

The deal pushes the Commanders well over $20 million in cap space as the new league year approaches.

The Commanders, we’re told, were motivated to get the deal done now, making a “strong” offer to close it today. So maybe they have a plan in mind for using the excess cap space on Wednesday, when the new league year begins — and when new contracts given to newly-acquired players hit the cap.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Irv Smith? He’s been nearly as injured as Chase Roullier. Irv Smith can’t stay healthy. He’s missed 12 games over the last two years. No thanks to that. 

And I know you’re going to bring up Logan Thomas’s injury history the last two years. The difference is that Logan is already in house and has chemistry with the other players on this team.

For corner we need a slot guy so that puts Darby out. I’m not sure if Griffin or Greedy played in the slot, I’ll have to look around about that.

Irv Smith is 24-years old. Logan Thomas is 32. There’s a big difference. 

40 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Payne previously had a cap number of $18.937 million. The $28 million signing bonus, spread over four years, and the base salary of $2.51 million dropped the cap number to $9.51 million.

The deal pushes the Commanders well over $20 million in cap space as the new league year approaches.

The Commanders, we’re told, were motivated to get the deal done now, making a “strong” offer to close it today. So maybe they have a plan in mind for using the excess cap space on Wednesday, when the new league year begins — and when new contracts given to newly-acquired players hit the cap.

Hopefully it involves Kam Curl getting a new deal. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Bro, you can't keep holding onto this thought of they can't spend money. They literally just handed out 60M guaranteed to Payne. This team HAS to improve and they will sign people. They aren't losing Scherff again this year so they won't be afraid to sign anyone.

In Carolina, only two players in Rivera’s entire tenure, which spanned three GMs so that should tell you who was really in charge there, received over $20 million in free agency.  

Rivera does not believe in big forays.  He also got bit hard by William Jackson III, so don’t expect them to go to the well there.  

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Maybe they were really afraid he would go to Dallas at some point... This is just baffling both in a positive and negative way. Love resigning him, hate the cost. It also makes the staff look even more incompetent with their roster decisions. Why draft Mathis in the 2nd last year if your plan is for him to not get significant playing time? Are they viewing 2nd rounders as a non-prime pick? Especially given the fact that Mathis is only one year younger than Payne. 

I just don't get this at all.

We let Settle and Ioannidas go. They were our DT depth. Perhaps Mathis can be that quality depth as well? Just looking at the silver lining here.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In Carolina, only two players in Rivera’s entire tenure, which spanned three GMs so that should tell you who was really in charge there, received over $20 million in free agency.  

Rivera does not believe in big forays.  He also got bit hard by William Jackson III, so don’t expect them to go to the well there.  

And he just keeps "giving". Because the Steelers just cut him without playing him, the trade terms are null and void. We traded him and a 2025 7th rounder for a 2025 6th rounder IIRC. That's off the table now. I mean, no big deal as it is only a 6th vs a 7th, but it's one more screw you from WJ3

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

We let Settle and Ioannidas go. They were our DT depth. Perhaps Mathis can be that quality depth as well? Just looking at the silver lining here.

Ioannidis and Settle both did absolutely on their new teams as well. Just saying.

Super happy he is staying.  In his last year of this contract, he will only be 29 years old.  I hope him and Allen anchor the dline for years to come.

A bit perplexed at the contract.  The average annual in line with waiting until you have to franchise, but not sure why we kicked the can so much on it.  Incredibly lopsided.  It will look ridiculously expensive in a couple years because of that, but maybe they are just planning on restructuring although seems like they could have paid him at least 5M more of cap space this year.   

Also...Cap went up 22% in two years if you want to compare to Allen's contract...

Edited by offbyone