DaRon Payne signed for 4year/90 mil 60 guaranteed

ARTMONK HOF

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, is there any concern about the fact that Snyder wrote the $60 million check for guaranteed money?  That does not sound like someone who has an imminent sale planned. 

Meh, if the new owner is taking over any ... long term liabilities? ... then I'm not too worried. 

31 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Usually teams do not add anything like this to the ledger if a sale is imminent.  Less long-term liabilities for the new owner.  

I agree in terms of normal business transactions. I just feel NFL teams have so many “yes but”

14 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Deal creates over $9 million in cap space 

Feels like they’re going to make a big move in FA then. Or a couple of moves. Doesn’t really seem to make sense that they would have backloaded the deal so much otherwise. If year one of this deal is checking in at roughly $10M against the cap, that leaves about $80M to be accounted for over the last 3 seasons. 

Annual breakdown looks like

2023: $10M

2024: $23M

2025: $27.5M

2026: $29.5M

Based on the guarantees, he’s pretty close to 100% going to be here for the next 3 years, so we’re looking at what amounts to a guaranteee 3/$60M, with a $7M “buyout” (in terms of cap space) in 2026. That last year is definitely a “cut or restructure” year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So we gave him $20 mil more guaranteed than Hargrave got on the open market.

According to everyone in NFL News, it's because Payne is younger. Lol.

The contract was too rich and we know we overpaid. Glad to have a talented Dline, wish we traded him for capital though.

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

According to everyone in NFL News, it's because Payne is younger. Lol.

The contract was too rich and we know we overpaid. Glad to have a talented Dline, wish we traded him for capital though.

Hmmm.  He is a full 4 years younger, so we will definitely be getting his peak throughout the entire contract. Also many people have been calling Payne a one year wonder but Hargrave had never broken double digit sacks until last year either.  It will be interesting to see how these contracts play out.  Right now I'd say we probably overpaid a little in guaranteed money but it wasn't an egregious amount. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Hmmm.  He is a full 4 years younger, so we will definitely be getting his peak throughout the entire contract. Also many people have been calling Payne a one year wonder but Hargrave had never broken double digit sacks until last year either.  It will be interesting to see how these contracts play out.  Right now I'd say we probably overpaid a little in guaranteed money but it wasn't an egregious amount. 

I'm never going to feel that he should have more gtd money than Allen. Honestly if they had offered him the same contract as Allen, I would still think it was too rich. The concept that people are saying we "saved" money by extending him drives me crazy as well. Trading him would have saved 18.937M because he wouldn't be getting ANY money from us and we could use the assets gained for positions of need.

Oh well

I'm never going to feel that he should have more gtd money than Allen. Honestly if they had offered him the same contract as Allen, I would still think it was too rich.

I think that is a valid argument, I too believe Allen is the superior player.  The only counter is that contracts go up every year. 

The concept that people are saying we "saved" money by extending him drives me crazy as well. Trading him would have saved 18.937M because he wouldn't be getting ANY money from us and we could use the assets gained for positions of need.

Oh well

Right.  In a vacuum I probably would have traded him as well and just banked on Mathis taking over for him.  I get why they did this though, he really stepped up his game last year and the guy they drafted to replace him literally didn't make it out of Week 1. Also, everyone is saying we can't pay everyone on the Dline, but so far we have paid the two players who have played the best on the Dline, so hard to argument that it is a bad strategy at this point.  Also if we continue to go the rookie QB route (I expect Howell to fail and for us to draft a QB next year) we will have a cheap QB contract for the next half decade.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s too much money, and pretty obviously so. I wouldn’t mind so much if it also wasn’t mostly guaranteed, but I find that part concerning on multiple levels. It’s one thing to give a guy a contract that looks huge on paper but is actually a lot of funny money in the back end — but this isn’t that. It can’t be, if $60M of it is guaranteed.

Assuming the reported numbers are accurate, that means no bailing out if he drops off (or gets seriously injured), and it also means it gets much tougher to re-work the deal. Can’t convert money to “guaranteed” for cap savings when it’s already guaranteed, and there’s not a ton of incentive for him to restructure when most of his money is coming to him regardless. 

At the same time, as @lavar703 said, who else are they really going to spend the money on? Hard to be too mad at them giving money to a good player and seemingly good dude who has been with us from jump. Would I have given that contract to Orlando Brown over Payne? Probably, but he may get even more than that, and he’s no great bet to age well. 

I thought this was an interesting point about not having the ability to restructure later because of all of the gauranteed money, but then I saw today that the Browns restructured Watsons deal that is fully guaranteed so now I’m questioning what even the rules are for the restructures anymore.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

To put it in better context, Hargrave is older Today than Payne will be when Payne's full 4 year contract ends.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I thought this was an interesting point about not having the ability to restructure later because of all of the gauranteed money, but then I saw today that the Browns restructured Watsons deal that is fully guaranteed so now I’m questioning what even the rules are for the restructures anymore.

Had the exact same thought when I read about that.

But I guess you could still convert future guaranteed base salary into a “signing bonus,” give him that money right away, and spread the money over future years.   That’s how most restructurings work, and I guess it doesn’t really make a difference whether that money is guaranteed or not. It’s not the “guaranteed” part that gets the cap hit spread out over the course of the contract, it’s the “paid up front” part. So I’m guessing that’s what they did?

One thing to do that with a QB, but that’s a ton of risk to take on with a DL who isn’t among the ultra-elite.