For Those Who Want to Keep Rodgers: Chart Me a Path to a SB Win?

AlexGreen#20

Basically the title says it all. 

If you're one of the people who thinks we should be keeping Rodgers, what series of offseason moves puts this team in a place where it's SB caliber?

I don't see a path forward. The quality of the surrounding talent seems pretty much capped out, and we weren't even close this year. 

Where would you go?

I don’t want to keep Rodgers.

But the only way is for Watson to take the beat second year leap possible.

Rodgers has to take a MASSIVE paycut.

Barry had to have a scandal so big McDonalds wouldn’t hire him.

15th overall has to be an ELITE defensive back in year one.

Tonyan has to be 100%.

Wyatt needs to have the best possible second year leap.

Rodgers has to utilize the middle of the field.

Our second round pick needs to be OROY.

The Niners have to all die and be replaced by Keanu Reeves at QB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you're one of the people who thinks we should be keeping Rodgers, what series of offseason moves puts this team in a place where it's SB caliber?

I don't see a path forward. The quality of the surrounding talent seems pretty much capped out, and we weren't even close this year. 

Where would you go?

I don't disagree with you at all, BUT would you have pegged the Eagles as the far and away SB contender of the NFC on March 12 of 2022?

It's 17 games, it's random. 

That said, I'm still ready to start the Love era.

completely appreciate the post- and it's why I think the Packers need to move on-they can't win a championship with this roster.

There is no piece/pieces you could add that puts them in the mix.  And the cap situation dictates that a quick turnaround isn't likely. The most recent best chances got derailed by less than stellar coaching (see : Tampa Bay, SF special teams) and less than ideal QB play-among other things-

That said, it's important to view this in the context of winning championships-I think a lot of the Packers FO, board, etc are happy with being a contender-the fans are engaged, the team is on national TV, sponsors are happy, money rolls in-and no kidding, I love going into the year thinking the team will be competitive (I was born in the mid 60s-too young to really know the Lombardi era, but plenty enough of the 70s 80s).  It's okay to want more than that.

and to Packer Ray's post-it is random, but the Eagles had good trenches, a developing QB, and added offensive punch- who did you like last spring?

every NFC team had doubts...the Packers should have been the favorite coming off 13 win seasons

TB-Brady's age, Bowles as HC

LA Rams- approach led to depth issues

Vikings- Really? new coaching staff, same roster

Dallas-did you think Jerry/Coach Mac were going to fix a team reliant on a decent QB, paying a RB top dollar and with a defense that was ??

I'm probably missing a team, but all the rest seemed like they were at least a year away -DET?, NYG?, AZ?-or longer...

anyway, in the immortal words of Kevin Greene...it is time

we can't be sure the what the future will be, but the status quo isn't it.

It's borderline impossible with our cap situation and current roster. Watson will take a solid jump next year and be on the cusp of a legit number one wr if he stays healthy. I think Doubs could be reliable in the 3rd wr role if he can catch the ball consistently. We'd have to hit on a cheap vet signing while getting production from toure or a rookie. 

TE would most likely need to be drafted as  we don't have much room to sign free agents. Give me Kincaid late first / early second to immediately step in as TE1 while being our best red zone option. The guy is a first down machine that catches everything. 

I believe Kincaid/Mayer or the Georgia TE would be ideal for Love. I want Gute to get to decide who the best TE is and pair him with Love. I'm over him trying to take the best of what's left over as it's been really bad thus far. A legitimate TE makes this offense significantly better right out the gate.

Upgrade the trenches as best we can through the draft, fa period and hope all these draft picks of late start playing up to their draft pick -stokes, Savage, Myers have shown flashes but have been underwhelming thus far. I think stokes will still be a good one. 

Wyatt, Walker are clearly young and talented but can they be real impact players that were worth taking in the first of an "all in year"? Ryhan stepping up and improving the interior of the line? Gary stay healthy? Can the defense not shoot itself in the foot from the coordinator and get consistent pressure on the QB?

We'd need to improve drastically from 3rd worst in drops and Rodgers would need to play like an all pro which is also very unlikely at this point. 

Moral of the story is our hand has been forced. We are lucky if decides to get traded as at least we get a few draft picks for the money we're giving Rodgers to freebase DMT for the next few years.

Edited by PackFan13

Anyone who says the NFL, especially Super Bowl winners, is random doesn’t really understand football.

There has never been a random Super Bowl winner. The closest to a random Super Bowl winner has been a team with a significantly underrated OL/DL.

You can’t win 10 regular season games and a minimum of three straight against quality teams without one of the year’s best combination of OL/DL.

• Like 2

Rather get picks because I am also unable to see how we suddenly reach #1 based on the needle we’d have to thread. There is some of this on every team, but we’re definitely middle of pack for Super Bowl odds as is.

But here’s what I see what have to happen to win it all rated with the NFL’s injury listings.

Rodgers returns to near MVP form-(Questionable)

Packers get a real WR1 + TE1 that fits MLFs Offense. (Doubtful)

Gary and Stokes return to form by December. (Questionable)

Safety position gets solved. (Questionable)

Special Teams picks up where it left off. (Probable)

Be the healthy team come the playoffs. (Questionable for everyone)

Above average growth from 2nd and 3rd year players such as Wyatt, Walker, etc. (Questionable)

NFL is hard.

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Where would you go?

Change out the front office.  We won't win a SB with Gute running things.  Doesn't matter who the QB is.  He threw away the last window and hasn't drafted well enough to create another window.  Obviously, he needs to move Rodgers now, but really blew it last year.

His last chance to position us for a win was lost last year when he gave Rodgers a ridiculous contract rather than taking the haul that Seattle got for Russell Wilson.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Anyone who says the NFL, especially Super Bowl winners, is random doesn’t really understand football.

There has never been a random Super Bowl winner. The closest to a random Super Bowl winner has been a team with a significantly underrated OL/DL.

You can’t win 10 regular season games and a minimum of three straight against quality teams without one of the year’s best combination of OL/DL.

The random part is players who emerge. Did anyone predict Rasul Douglas to be the CB he was the year we signed him off PS? Or Nixon being the returner that he is last season? Of course not or 31 other teams would have signed him.

There is some luck to the draft as well, as projecting a player to the pro level has a lot of unpredictable elements to it.

Edited by VegasDan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

The random part is players who emerge. Did anyone predict Rasul Douglas to be the CB he was the year we signed him off PS? Or Nixon being the returner that he is last season? Of course not or 31 other teams would have signed him.

There is some luck to the draft as well, as projecting a player to the pro level has a lot of unpredictable elements to it.

That I can agree with, but the actual winners… No.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Giants twice, Ravens.  Rams were a fluke.  

• Like 1