Signings or Re-Signings

soflbillsfan

He had one good year where his bad instincts and constant overpursuit stopped being an overwhelming detriment to the run game which cancelled out his solid pass coverage ability. I like Edmunds, but lets not beat around the bush about what he was, or that he was in any way worth damn near $20M a year on a roster that needs to accept that this core didn't win, reboot and try again with a new core of guys. It's time for the refresh. 

Anyway Beane just cleared $36M in cap, so a move is coming.

7 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He had one good year where his bad instincts and constant overpursuit stopped being an overwhelming detriment to the run game which cancelled out his solid pass coverage ability. I like Edmunds, but lets not beat around the bush about what he was, or that he was in any way worth damn near $20M a year on a roster that needs to accept that this core didn't win, reboot and try again with a new core of guys. It's time for the refresh. 

Anyway Beane just cleared $36M in cap, so a move is coming.

I have watched plenty of film of Edmunds and this take is laughably overstated. Does he make poor reads at times? Yes, he does. But what I saw more often was our defensive tackles not being effective and allowing blockers to get to 2nd level and swallowed up Edmunds. This year changed with Jones in the fold and surprise surprise he had a good season.

11 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I have watched plenty of film of Edmunds and this take is laughably overstated. Does he make poor reads at times? Yes, he does. But what I saw more often was our defensive tackles not being effective and allowing blockers to get to 2nd level and swallowed up Edmunds. This year changed with Jones in the fold and surprise surprise he had a good season.

Saying that take is laughably overstated is something I disagree with. With Edmunds, the contract he received does not match the production he has put out there. I believe most of the money he received was due to still being so young and potential being there, just like when he came in via the draft. He had one good season as a coverage LB out of 5. The games he missed, you couldn't really tell the difference because he just wasn't that much of a force on defense. When Milano was out, you could tell as our pass coverage was noticeably worse. Edmunds just isn't a guy who can create turnovers or make big plays for the type of money he got. He does have bad instincts more often than not and does over pursuit on a lot of plays.

39 minutes ago, DER10N92 said:

Saying that take is laughably overstated is something I disagree with. With Edmunds, the contract he received does not match the production he has put out there. I believe most of the money he received was due to still being so young and potential being there, just like when he came in via the draft. He had one good season as a coverage LB out of 5. The games he missed, you couldn't really tell the difference because he just wasn't that much of a force on defense. When Milano was out, you could tell as our pass coverage was noticeably worse. Edmunds just isn't a guy who can create turnovers or make big plays for the type of money he got. He does have bad instincts more often than not and does over pursuit on a lot of plays.

The 2nd half he was out of the Vikings game showed how important he was to this defense. At this point we shall see. I think things are starting to click for him and he is entering his prime. Fans tend to discount players that leave their team for some reason and overvalue free agent signings. I understand from a salary impact that letting him walk may have made sense, but I think his impact will be sorely missed this season. The question now is who would you like to see Beane sign in FA or draft? I think Lavonte David would be a good stop gap.

9 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Bears trading away Roquan Smith and signing Edmunds to big money is 🤯.