The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Its kind of crazy how bad the entire NL Wild Card has been lately, that we havent really lost any ground (still 4.5 out) 

But I will say, I think this scenario is the issue with not only a large majority of the Cardinals fanbase (not calling you specifically out) but more detrimental, the mindset of the Ownership of the team. That "hey we've done it before, theres still a chance!" idea because thats how we won 2 titles. Which results in the highest draft pick weve had since like 2010 is #18/19. That means we cant draft cornerstones at the top of the draft.

And I dont think this will change until A) we win another World Series, or B) Bill DeWitt is no longer the owner of the team.

But you are right, we need to miss the playoffs (for only the 5th time in 13 years, most of them by Matheny) To get ourselves out of this mess

Stop blaming DeWitt.  The Cardinals have consistently had a top 10 payroll in baseball.  They're 9th this year, 10th in 2020, and 6th in 2019.  I really don't see how DeWitt doesn't come out smelling like roses in this situation.  In terms of blame, he's damn near the bottom.  We've acquired two franchise players in the last 3 years.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I expected to come in here this morning and see atleast one of you defending Schildt from last night...

Wonder if its more that you all are seeing he isnt fit for this, or youre just so apathetic with this team that you didnt watch that colossal screw up

I just accepted the fact a while ago that the team isn’t very good but apparently I’m just a downer and only post negative stuff but whatever. Both Shildt and Mozeliak should both be out the damn door this offseason. Hell, Jeff Albert should’ve been gone already. Need to completely start over and resigning Yadi was just so dumb and clearly not about winning but yet making the casual fans happy.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think anyone thinks he's anything more than an average manager.  Which ironically seems to be the fact that we're on pace for a .500 year.  But you can second guess every decision, but not every decision is going to be made correctly.  The Cardinals have some work to be done this offseason.

But it's not just second guessing. I know it's a part of sports to criticize the manager of your team sometimes, but this guy makes decisions that someone who has never watched a game would do. It's one thing to not focus on stealing in a game when the back up catcher is playing, but it's another to leave a guy in for 6 back to back hits. He doesn't even how to perform a double switch correctly. It seems like every game my dad is calling out his mistakes before they even pay off. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Stop blaming DeWitt.  The Cardinals have consistently had a top 10 payroll in baseball.  They're 9th this year, 10th in 2020, and 6th in 2019.  I really don't see how DeWitt doesn't come out smelling like roses in this situation.  In terms of blame, he's damn near the bottom.  We've acquired two franchise players in the last 3 years.

Agreed, the team itself isn't the problem. Yes we've had some bad injuries in the pitching staff, but this is a talented team and should still be better than 2 games over .500. Shildt has cost us more games this year than he has won for us, probably by a wide margin. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What did I blame DeWitt for? other than pointing out that in his advanced age that he wants to win another title? Which leaves us in a Catch 22 situation almost every trade deadline. Where we dont have a good enough team that we will be just one more piece away from solidifying ourselves as favorites, but still good enough, especially looking forward, that we cant blow it up for one trade deadline.

There is no blame being laid. I dont mind not completely tanking. But punting one one of the past 3 seasons at the deadline probably would have helped us more in the long run. Not sure how you cant agree with that.

I dont blame DeWitt at all, and I honestly dont really blame Mo all that much like some do. We've just under preformed, and have the wrong manager. That can be corrected. Now if they dont, and we wallow in mediocrity next year as well (and potentially lose Nolan because of it) that would be the first unforgivable to me. Although Carp's extension is very close

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Incase your Lane Thomas trackers went dark across all the social media’s at the start of this week like mine did; he’s gone 1-13 in his last 4 games and is plummeting down the Nationals lineup. Funny how that happens

I don’t think any sensible person thought Lane Thomas was actually a thing. 

Juan Yepez is having a really good season. Seems like he’s a guy who you don’t really hear a lot about. 

Total stats between AA (19 games) and AAA (71 games)….…

.271 BA, .377 OBP, 22 HR, 21 Doubles, 18% K-Rate, 12% walk-rate, 150 wRC+ 

I hope He gets a real chance here. Either next year or in 2023. Loving those K and walk rates. He had a really good 2019 as well, but this is the first year he’s shown this kind of power.  And I understand the DH likely has to make its way to the NL for Yepez to have a future in St. Louis. 

22 hours ago, JonStark said:

Agreed, the team itself isn't the problem. Yes we've had some bad injuries in the pitching staff, but this is a talented team and should still be better than 2 games over .500. Shildt has cost us more games this year than he has won for us, probably by a wide margin. 

We were at least 1 SP short coming into the season.  Maybe even 2.  We've got nearly $50M wasted in Matt Carpenter, Miles Mikolas, and Andrew Miller for a combined 0.1 WAR.  Miller is fortunately off the books this offseason.  Spotrac has Carpenter as his contract vesting, but I'm not sure how.

21 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

What did I blame DeWitt for? other than pointing out that in his advanced age that he wants to win another title? Which leaves us in a Catch 22 situation almost every trade deadline. Where we dont have a good enough team that we will be just one more piece away from solidifying ourselves as favorites, but still good enough, especially looking forward, that we cant blow it up for one trade deadline.

There is no blame being laid. I dont mind not completely tanking. But punting one one of the past 3 seasons at the deadline probably would have helped us more in the long run. Not sure how you cant agree with that.

I dont blame DeWitt at all, and I honestly dont really blame Mo all that much like some do. We've just under preformed, and have the wrong manager. That can be corrected. Now if they dont, and we wallow in mediocrity next year as well (and potentially lose Nolan because of it) that would be the first unforgivable to me. Although Carp's extension is very close

It certainly appeared that way.  My apologies if I misrepresented what you said.

There's plenty of blame to go around.  We were clearly a SP short to begin the season.  We were probably 2 RP short to begin the season as well.  We rolled with a pretty much set IF, and played some of our youngsters in the OF.  That's probably the only thing that really went well is that our young OF played reasonably well.  Looks like we might be looking at our OF core of TON, Bader, and Carlson for the foreseeable future.  DeJong got off to a torrid start to his career, but his bat has tailed off significantly.  We're not getting much offensive production from behind the plate either.  Edman is at best a league-average 2B who is pressed into duty because of a lack of another viable option.  Don't even get me started on the pitching.

• Like 2

There’s your former manager of the year (that’s what the StL media always falls back on when you criticize him right?) yet again leaving a BP arm out there to die and give up a win, in the heat of a WC race to a .360 w% team…

It’s just inexcusable at this point. And I’m sure he’ll be salty when someone asks a legitimate question, and everyone will back off because they are scared. 

Yes this is also on Reyes, who let up the walks and runs. But he hasn’t been comfortable in that Closer spot for a month now, and that is again on the manager to see and make adjustments. And even today, when he isn’t able to find the strike zone, we just keep him out there…

I loathe the idea of a set closer, it makes you lazy. Just like today Gallegos threw 5 pitches today, FIVE! All for strikes, for all 3 outs in the 8th. Why the hell can’t he go back out in the 9th inning to finish out the game???

Oh I’ll tell you why, other than the obvious lame answer of we only ever pitch our relievers for one inning at a time (except he let 2 other relievers pitch in 2 separate innings in this very game) and that “Reyes is the the closer” it’s because he Double Switched the pitcher into the #7 spot during the SIXTH INNING!! So that spot is absolutely guaranteed to come up to the plate during the rest of the game. And he is then “forced” to pitch hit Nootbar and to remove Gallegos, who would have never come up to the plate if he leaves the pitcher in the 9 spot. 

But again that’s beside the point. He brought in DeJong for Sosa… please someone tell me why that happened? Not only is Sosa the superior defensive player in the field, during a close game, but is also one of our hottest hitters, and far and away better that DeJong right now.

It’s absolutely mind boggling right now. And if he is not replaced this off-season, it is an absolute sham, and confirmed that they truly only want a yes man in that spot, not someone who can contribute to winning

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

He brought in DeJong for Sosa… please someone tell me why that happened?

He does so many things that I literally can't figure out the reasoning behind. I criticize coaches enough, but at least I can usually figure out what they were going for. In Shildt's case, most of the time I can't come up with a logical reasoning behind some of his moves. It's almost like he picks them out of a hat or something.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, ttitansfan4life said:

I just accepted the fact a while ago that the team isn’t very good but apparently I’m just a downer and only post negative stuff but whatever. Both Shildt and Mozeliak should both be out the damn door this offseason. Hell, Jeff Albert should’ve been gone already. Need to completely start over and resigning Yadi was just so dumb and clearly not about winning but yet making the casual fans happy.

LMAO, I think you just proved your own view of yourself here.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?