The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What did he say? I can't remember.

“I don't think we’ve necessarily done the greatest job of making a game plan for how guys are going to throw us day-by-day and working on things pre-game that are specifically tailored to prepare ourselves for that,” Edman said. “So I think we’re going to kind of start to implement a few more of those things into our pre-game routines and hopefully that helps us out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Kevin Acee - Beat writer for them who's pretty plugged in. He said they're investigating exactly why he was let go, but that they like the fact that he was respected in the clubhouse.

Big reason why they let Tingler go. 

Still never seen him ever state that Shildt is a favorite in SD, just that they are going to interview.

Also he said that yesterday, Id be surprised if the interview or especially the "investigation" are complete

How are you guys feeling about Nootbar going forward? Do you actually like him? Do you think he is in the teams plans?

I bring him up as he is clearly the 4th OF at best, and more important to this question, a Lefty bat.

With moving on from Carpenter and Fowler after '20/'21 we are only really left with Carlson and Edman as Switch Hitters. Gorman as a Lefty in the pipeline is nice, but counting on him as a bat in 2022 isnt something I would be doing yet. 

So are we confident enough in Lars as the Lefty bat bench? Or should we be looking for a cheap Vet to fill that role?

8 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

So are we confident enough in Lars as the Lefty bat bench? Or should we be looking for a cheap Vet to fill that role?

Are you going to find a better bat for a similar price?  Probably not.  Which means he's likely your 4th OFer.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:19 AM, CWood21 said:

Are you going to find a better bat for a similar price?  Probably not.  Which means he's likely your 4th OFer.

Well I don’t see our payroll as limited as you do for 2022, so $2m for a bench bat isn’t all that much to me. The question is, would that be better than Nootbar? Is a Brett Gardener type worth it? Or more importantly, even an upgrade at this point?

13 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Well I don’t see our payroll as limited as you do for 2022, so $2m for a bench bat isn’t all that much to me. The question is, would that be better than Nootbar? Is a Brett Gardener type worth it? Or more importantly, even an upgrade at this point?

It's not even that I think we're limited, I just don't see a TON of space to operate after the Molina/Wainwright extensions.  VEB did a pretty good write-up here, and that's what I've been saying.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/10/20/22734512/2022-payroll-projected-budget

You're looking at roughly $30M to spend.  Give or take a few million.  If you're wanting to spend big on a SS, then there's less money to spend elsewhere.  That means you're rolling into 2022 with a rotation of Jack Flaherty, Adam Wainwright, Dakota Hudson, and Miles Mikolas.  SP5 is probably a place holder until Matt Liberatore clears S2 status.  That means you're piecing together your bullpen.  I just think that spending more money on a 4th OFer seems like a waste of resources.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's not even that I think we're limited, I just don't see a TON of space to operate after the Molina/Wainwright extensions.

And as I’ve said, I don’t agree. I think Bill DeWitt will loosen the purse strings more than normal, as he knows he has a cash cow on his hands with the final summer in the sun with those two (plus possibly Pujols) and will be trying to go for it with possibly the best talent on the team since the MV3 days, where he can sort of ride off into the sunset as well. But those dollars only continue to roll in as long as this team stays competitive  

Not saying that he will Go for broke and we will be throwing $200m around for ‘22, but saying we only have $30m to play with is also disingenuous, that is likely the Minimum we are working with, and that’s before my prediction that he will push the budget higher. 

not to mention, if we get a SS, that’s likely another $6m coming off by trading DeJong. And as pointed out in this article you are using (regardless if it’s a SS or SP) they will likely be deferring some money, and it’s not like year one can’t be a lower salary with escalating in later years. Especially with a Guaranteed nearly $30m off the books next year for Waino/Molina. 

With a 5 year deal for a $25m AAV player, you drop year one down to $19m, and that’s only and extra $1.5 per for the next 4 (26.5m each year) or you can dump it into years 2 & 3 if you’re worried about the end of the contract. This isn’t the NBA, it can all be worked out

15 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

And as I’ve said, I don’t agree. I think Bill DeWitt will loosen the purse strings more than normal, as he knows he has a cash cow on his hands with the final summer in the sun with those two (plus possibly Pujols) and will be trying to go for it with possibly the best talent on the team since the MV3 days, where he can sort of ride off into the sunset as well. But those dollars only continue to roll in as long as this team stays competitive  

Not saying that he will Go for broke and we will be throwing $200m around for ‘22, but saying we only have $30m to play with is also disingenuous, that is likely the Minimum we are working with, and that’s before my prediction that he will push the budget higher. 

There's nothing to suggest other then wishful thinking that the Cardinals are suddenly going to push up against the luxury tax.  Literally nothing.  DeWitt hasn't said anything about substantially increasing payroll.  The Cardinals made it a point to freeze payroll close to what we were pre-COVID, and the Cardinals have only had a full stadium for about a half a year now.  Between that and the impending CBA negotiations, there's too much uncertainty for  DeWitt to "loosen the purse strings" and make significant additions to payroll.  As I mentioned before, I think Opening Day payroll will be around $165M.  Given the Cardinals have about ~$134M in payroll committed, you're looking at roughly $30M to spend.  There's nothing to suggest the Cardinals are going to be pushing an all-time high in payroll.

not to mention, if we get a SS, that’s likely another $6m coming off by trading DeJong. And as pointed out in this article you are using (regardless if it’s a SS or SP) they will likely be deferring some money, and it’s not like year one can’t be a lower salary with escalating in later years. Especially with a Guaranteed nearly $30m off the books next year for Waino/Molina. 

That's assuming someone is willing to take DeJong as a pure salary dump.  Given how desperate some Cardinals fans seem to be getting rid of him, that's not exceedingly likely.  But we're still in need of half a bullpen, probably at least one more SP (if not two), and some bench players.  Plus, you have to be the highest spender in FA.  We have a history of coming in second on big ticket FAs.

With a 5 year deal for a $25m AAV player, you drop year one down to $19m, and that’s only and extra $1.5 per for the next 4 (26.5m each year) or you can dump it into years 2 & 3 if you’re worried about the end of the contract. This isn’t the NBA, it can all be worked out

If I'm underestimating the payroll projections, you're underestimating the AAV and years.  Correa is getting 8+ years.  Seager is going to be a Yankee.  Story and Semien are the only ones I think might only fetch a 5 year deal.

Not surprised they went with Marmol. The comments from Mo a few weeks ago that they wanted to have the manage in place by 'November' led most to believe it would be an internal promotion. 

Of all the internal candidates, Marmol was the best option IMO. He's definitely a more new school/analytic mind and fits the FO approach to the tee. At 35, he now becomes the youngest manager in the MLB. 

I believe we're keeping the majority of staff in place as well. 

I definitely like this hire than going out and hiring some of these old school re-tread/dinosaur managers that have been around the game for ever. Only external option that we were connected too that I had higher on my wish list was Shumaker.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?