The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm concerned with Genesis Cabrera. His velo is down almost 2 full points this year. Average FB is sitting tick under 96MPH vs. 98MPH last few years. He's dropped from 96 percentile in average FB speed in MLB to 88 percentile.

I think his overuse the last few years is catching up at the wrong time.  

Zach Thompson is gonna be a key LH reliever for us come playoffs, because Naughton isn't it. 

Most of the bullpen frightens me tbh. Outside of Pallante, Helsley, and Hicks(for just an inning), I’m not very confident. Thompson should be up as should Naile. Gio is inconsistent and Naughton is yikes. Also, use Woodford dammit.

I wonder if Flaherty gets back this season, he takes Daks spot, does that push Dak to the bullpen and would he do well in that role? He’s been pretty inconsistent this season but should be expected coming back from TJS. Although I thought he was better earlier in the year than lately.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm concerned with Genesis Cabrera. His velo is down almost 2 full points this year. Average FB is sitting tick under 96MPH vs. 98MPH last few years. He's dropped from 96 percentile in average FB speed in MLB to 88 percentile.

I think his overuse the last few years is catching up at the wrong time.  

Zach Thompson is gonna be a key LH reliever for us come playoffs, because Naughton isn't it. 

I actually Like what I’ve seen from Naughton most of the year. I feel Like he’s been way better than Cabrera. I agree on Thompson though, I think he Plays a big role in the BP come playoff time. Would love for both He and Hudson to strengthen the Pen. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

According to Katie Woo his FB Velo averaged just under 93.5 and topped out at 97 mph. 

When he's right, he sits around 94-95 and can reach back and get 97 when needed. 

He was sitting at 90-91 when he was first working his way back earlier this year. 

Good sign IMO that maybe it truly was dead arm. 

24 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I actually Like what I’ve seen from Naughton most of the year. I feel Like he’s been way better than Cabrera. I agree on Thompson though, I think he Plays a big role in the BP come playoff time. Would love for both He and Hudson to strengthen the Pen. 

I don't trust Naughton at all in a high leverage situation. Just like last night. He just doesn't have the stuff IMO for that role. He's fine a middle inning guy though, but come playoffs I want another high leverage LHP, especially with Cabrera  not looking like 2019-2021 year(s) Cabrera

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Most of the bullpen frightens me tbh. Outside of Pallante, Helsley, and Hicks(for just an inning), I’m not very confident. Thompson should be up as should Naile. Gio is inconsistent and Naughton is yikes. Also, use Woodford dammit.

I wonder if Flaherty gets back this season, he takes Daks spot, does that push Dak to the bullpen and would he do well in that role? He’s been pretty I consistent this season but should be expected coming back from TJS. Although I thought he was better earlier in the year than lately.

Dak was lights out last year in that role down the stretch, but he also wasn't walking guys like he is this year. Maybe being reduced to the 1 inning helps that though. 

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If Albert continues this torrid pace the next 1.5 months and ends up with like 694+ homeruns, does he come back next year to get 700? The competitor he is, I wonder if it eats at him not to get that mark. 

He's still absolutely destroying LHP. 

I think he was asked that the other day and he said 700 didn’t matter to him and this was definitely his last season. Hope he changes his mind

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

If Albert continues this torrid pace the next 1.5 months and ends up with like 694+ homeruns, does he come back next year to get 700? The competitor he is, I wonder if it eats at him not to get that mark. 

He's still absolutely destroying LHP. 

I think those type of numbers don’t really matter to a guy like him (sure fire HoF) like they do to fans. 

I think when he knows he is done, then he will walk away. And I think the one last trip with Yadi means more to him than any statistical mark

Waino on the other hand, has never actually said this is the end. He’s kept quiet to let Albert and Yadi have their shine. But I’ll be honest, I’m worried we’re nearing the end of the road so the him as well. You cant just pretend the Yankee game didn’t happen. And he seems to be having to put a whole lot more effort into pitching the last few months, even compare to the start of the season 

"Frankie Montas was torched for six runs over six innings on Thursday in a loss to the Blue Jays.

Yikes. Montas served up eight hits, including a gargantuan three-run homer to Vladimir Guerrero Jr. in the second inning. He finished with just two strikeouts and also issued one walk. The hard-throwing 29-year-old righty has allowed eight runs on 10 hits with a 6/5 K/BB ratio across eight innings (two starts) since being acquired at the trade deadline"

I think we made the right deadline deals for SP.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?