The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think we're just starting to come into that period with Grichuk. Plus, with the influx of OF's we have that are MLB ready, it's only going to be harder to justify him over others...

And I think there's a situation where you have to move Grichuk when you have the young players who are out of options and/or have proven that they are superior options.  But right now, it seems like the idea of trading Grichuk is trading him for the sake of trading him.

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think they got the top 10 right (I would have them in different order though)...

Agree, Garcia not even being in the top 30 is a miss on their part IMO. He's right outside the top ten for me, especially over a guy like Edmundo Sosa, who's fading IMO...

I'd have Jordan Hicks and Jonathan Machado  higher as well...

Nothing crazy about that list IMO.  The problem with Garcia is it's such a limited sample size with his production.  And it's not like he was putting up other wordly production either.  A 112 wRC+ at AA at an age-appropriate league isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.  If you want to argue him in the top 30 I'd agree, but there are other higher upside players I'd put above him.  Probably in that 16-25 range for me without doing any digging.  Edmundo Sosa on the other hand is moving closer to organizational depth.  Hits for almost no power and doesn't utilize his speed at all.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:53 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm glad Adams is doing well for ATL, but I'm still not sold he's completely figured it out. We saw him go thru stretches or even a half season where he hit like an all star [albeit never that much power] and then he'd loose it...

I'd like to believe Grichuk will turn the corner, he'll he probably will down the line. Problem is we don't have 3 more years for it to happen...

Maybe. But Adams' success against righties seems legit. Assuming he would have hit like that here (which seems doubtful), a platoon with him and Jose Martinez would've been productive at 1B.

.301 BABIP is lower than his career average. Contact slash of 13.4 %/44.3 %/42.3 % (soft/medium/hard) is impressive and close to his career norms. Pulling the ball as much as before. Nothing sticks out with his plate discipline either (O-Swing/O-Contact and Z-Swing/Z-Contact). Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like a change of scenery just made him better for no reason.

Edited by chris00cm

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And I think there's a situation where you have to move Grichuk when you have the young players who are out of options and/or have proven that they are superior options.  But right now, it seems like the idea of trading Grichuk is trading him for the sake of trading him.

Problem is he'd be blocking the playing time of guys like Bader, Sierra, etc...

The manager of this team is loyal to guys to a fault. Grichuk seems to be one of those guys. We've seen that when Grichuk is healthy, he's playing the majority of games...

I'm fine with keeping Grichuk. I don't want to trade him just to trade him. I'd like to get a good piece back for him, or if his value isn't there on the market I think he'd be a good 4 OF option (Can play all 3 OF spots) and provide thump off the bench. I've seen enough of him to pencil him in as an everyday starter. My biggest fear is that the manager continues to prioritize him over the young guys at the expense of them getting the AB's needed to take the next step. We've seen where the FO has had to step-in and move guys to take this option away...  

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?