The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

Didn't Mo say a few days ago that the team was "open for business"?

I think so, but that's not really a direction.  My guess is their sweep of the Rockies gave them the mindset that they'd be in play for the division.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think so, but that's not really a direction.  My guess is their sweep of the Rockies gave them the mindset that they'd be in play for the division.

Still shouldn't shy them away from moving him. We have enough young pitching to replace him.

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think we might just be holding out to see what happens with Gray or Darvish. If teams that miss out on them, only drives up Lynn's value. There is still 2 days left...

I think the team that lines up best with a possible deal is the Yankees. They've stated that they might be looking at a rental SP because they A's asking price for Gray is out of their comfort zone. 

Really don't like Cleveland from a trade standpoint.  Mejia is pretty much off-limits and I don't think they'd move Triston McKenzie in a deal for Grichuk or Pham.  And I've already said I'm not really a fan of Bobby Bradley.  The best singular piece the Cardinals could get from is Nolan Jones or Will Benson, and both are at least three years away from being ready.  They could make a deal for Greg Allen, but I don't think he really offers anything we don't already have in the farm system.  I wouldn't mind buying low on Brady Aiken though, although he's probably damaged goods at this point.

The Yankees on the other hand are a better fit.  They could get Lance Lynn and we'd get a package starting with Miguel Andujar.  I'd love to get him and Dillon Tate back in the same deal, but that seems unlikely.  Maybe something like Andujar, Nick Solak, and Nolan Martinez for Lance Lynn?

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Really don't like Cleveland from a trade standpoint.  Mejia is pretty much off-limits and I don't think they'd move Triston McKenzie in a deal for Grichuk or Pham.  And I've already said I'm not really a fan of Bobby Bradley.  The best singular piece the Cardinals could get from is Nolan Jones or Will Benson, and both are at least three years away from being ready.  They could make a deal for Greg Allen, but I don't think he really offers anything we don't already have in the farm system.  I wouldn't mind buying low on Brady Aiken though, although he's probably damaged goods at this point.

The Yankees on the other hand are a better fit.  They could get Lance Lynn and we'd get a package starting with Miguel Andujar.  I'd love to get him and Dillon Tate back in the same deal, but that seems unlikely.  Maybe something like Andujar, Nick Solak, and Nolan Martinez for Lance Lynn?

Is it just Bradley's high k-rate throughout his career that you don't like or do you see him more as a DH? I was looking at the Yankees top 30 earlier, I would love something like Andujar and Albert Abreu for Lynn. Or possibly Lynn for Justus Sheffield straight up. I think both are pretty fair. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Is it just Bradley's high k-rate throughout his career that you don't like or do you see him more as a DH? I was looking at the Yankees top 30 earlier, I would love something like Andujar and Albert Abreu for Lynn. Or possibly Lynn for Justus Sheffield straight up. I think both are pretty fair. 

Both.  He's got significant swing and miss issues, and defensively he has his issues.  Not to mention, if we're talking about moving Yadier Molina to 1B full time in a couple of years we probably don't want to get a prospect that is a 1B-only type unless they're an elite bat  And I'm not sure Bradley is.  I really do wish there was some way we could get Triston McKenzie, but that's a pipe dream.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Both.  He's got significant swing and miss issues, and defensively he has his issues.  Not to mention, if we're talking about moving Yadier Molina to 1B full time in a couple of years we probably don't want to get a prospect that is a 1B-only type unless they're an elite bat  And I'm not sure Bradley is.  I really do wish there was some way we could get Triston McKenzie, but that's a pipe dream.

Offer up Pham, Flaherty and another prospect....Only way I see McKenzie as a possibility. 

12 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Seeing what Marco got us, I wonder if there's a way we could package Lynn and Weaver together and get a decently ranked prospect for the two of them. Surely people have Weaver ranked ahead of Marco in our system. 

Isn't adding Weaver with Lynn redundant?  If we're shipping out Lance Lynn, we need to replace him and while Flaherty probably could hold up in the rotation ideally you'd like to give him more seasoning.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Isn't adding Weaver with Lynn redundant?  If we're shipping out Lance Lynn, we need to replace him and while Flaherty probably could hold up in the rotation ideally you'd like to give him more seasoning.

Meh, I'm sure we could find someone to fill it for 2 months. Hudson, Flaherty, Lyons...Eiither way, it's a mute point because there's a 0% chance they package the two together. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?