The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Bonus Pool Tracker

1.18 - Michael McGreevy [RHP; UC Stanta Barbara] ($3,481,300) - $2,750,000 (+$731,300)
2.54 - Joshua Baez [OF; Dexter High School (Mass.)] ($1,338,500) - $2,500,000 (-$1,161,500)
2.CB - Ryan Holgate [OF; Arizona] ($906,800) - Unsigned
3.90 - Austin Love [RHP; North Carolina] ($657,600) - Unsigned
4.120 - Zane Mills [RHP; Washington State] ($478,300) - $375,000 (+$178,300)
5.151 - Gordon Graceffo [RHP; Villanova] ($353,700) - $300,000 (+$53,700)
6.181 - Alfredo Ruiz [LHP; Long Beach State] ($270,300) - $50,000 (+$220,300)
7.211 - Alec Willis [RHP; Regis Jesuit HS (Co.)] ($211,500) - Unsigned
8.241 - Mike Antico [OF; Texas] ($171,200) - $20,000 (+$151,200)
9.271 - Trent Baker [RHP; Angelo State] ($153,300) - $75,000 (+$78,300)
10.301 - Osvaldo Tovalin [3B; Azusa Pacific University] ($144,600) - $50,000 (+94,600)

Cardinals Bonus Pool: $8,167,100
Cardinals Bonus Pool + 5%: $8,575,455
Money Spent: $6,120,000
Money Remaining: $2,455,455

Another update.  This time with Baez.  We've got $1,564,400 left in slot values for draft picks inside the top 5 plus Alec Willis.  Assuming that $1M numbers is indeed accurate with regards to signing Alec Willis, the Cardinals would need to save an additional $108,945.  I'd imagine Ryan Holgate and Austin Love come for a bit underslot.  And if there's any more savings they might try and throw some cash at Xavier Casserilla who is currently committed to Wichita State and is viewed as an unlikely sign.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:10 PM, CWood21 said:

Bonus Pool Tracker

1.18 - Michael McGreevy [RHP; UC Stanta Barbara] ($3,481,300) - $2,750,000 (+$731,300)
2.54 - Joshua Baez [OF; Dexter High School (Mass.)] ($1,338,500) - $2,250,000 (-$911,500)
2.CB - Ryan Holgate [OF; Arizona] ($906,800) - $875,000 (+$31,800)
3.90 - Austin Love [RHP; North Carolina] ($657,600) - $600,000 (+$57,600)
4.120 - Zane Mills [RHP; Washington State] ($478,300) - $375,000 (+$178,300)
5.151 - Gordon Graceffo [RHP; Villanova] ($353,700) - $300,000 (+$53,700)
6.181 - Alfredo Ruiz [LHP; Long Beach State] ($270,300) - $50,000 (+$220,300)
7.211 - Alec Willis [RHP; Regis Jesuit HS (Co.)] ($211,500) - Unsigned
8.241 - Mike Antico [OF; Texas] ($171,200) - $20,000 (+$151,200)
9.271 - Trent Baker [RHP; Angelo State] ($153,300) - $75,000 (+$78,300)
10.301 - Osvaldo Tovalin [3B; Azusa Pacific University] ($144,600) - $50,000 (+94,600)

Cardinals Bonus Pool: $8,167,100
Cardinals Bonus Pool + 5%: $8,575,455
Money Spent: $7,345,000
Money Remaining: $1,230,455

Let's get the worst case scenario out of the way.  IF the Cardinals are unable to sign Alec Willis away from his commitment to the University of Minnesota, the Cardinals could offer a signing bonus of just over 883k to Xavier Casserila to sign.  As it currently stands, the Cardinals can offer him up to $980,455 for him to sign which is pretty close to the $1M numbers that's been floated around.

EDIT: So apparently I used the wrong bonus for Josh Baez.  Seems like Willis will get his $1M bonus, and we might have a little left over to throw at Casserila who is unlikely to sign.

I’m putting this Blown save on Schildt. Didn’t make a single good move in the last 3 innings. Why did Helsley and Miller only pitch one inning? Both were pretty much rolling. 

Then he waits to get Reyes up in the middle of the at bat before he come in. When he probably should have never been brought in the game in the first place (was never a “save” type game)

and then he does the same thing, and doesn’t get anyone up until Reyes is in the middle of the at bat that he officially blows the save on. When he never had control in the first place 

bad job all around but he has to be better than that. To me leaning on your “closer” in games/situations when they were never expecting it is one of the most lazy things a manager can do

• Like 1

And don’t get me started on the completely pointless double switch  Why is Sosa coming in if you won’t even let him bat for himself?

They need to do an Allen Craig and just get rid of Carpenter so they are never tempted to use him. Such a bad at bat there

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Let's get the worst case scenario out of the way.  IF the Cardinals are unable to sign Alec Willis away from his commitment to the University of Minnesota, the Cardinals could offer a signing bonus of just over 883k to Xavier Casserila to sign.  As it currently stands, the Cardinals can offer him up to $980,455 for him to sign which is pretty close to the $1M numbers that's been floated around.

EDIT: So apparently I used the wrong bonus for Josh Baez.  Seems like Willis will get his $1M bonus, and we might have a little left over to throw at Casserila who is unlikely to sign.

Can we offer 1 million to Matt Carpenter to go away and never come back?

I don’t listen much at all anymore, but man 101espn has turned into a station with a bunch of dumb people trying to talk sports. 

Not sure if you saw the postgame interview with Shildt but Brandon Kiley is a moron and should apologize to Shildt for asking such a dumb question. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I don’t listen much at all anymore, but man 101espn has turned into a station with a bunch of dumb people trying to talk sports. 

101 has been a mess for awhile, and I include Bernie's time there

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Not sure if you saw the postgame interview with Shildt but Brandon Kiley is a moron and should apologize to Shildt for asking such a dumb question. 

But I very much disagree with this. he messed up a bit in the question, but his point behind asking it was sound. The Managers of the Cardinals have thought they were above the consequences for their actions for far too long. And he had no good/sound reason for his moves last night.

So getting mad at a question, when he screwed up last night, is just another tactic from the TLR/Cardinal Way playbook to distract from the real issue. This way people will talk about the dumb/bad media in St Louis, when in reality its one of the cushiest jobs in all of sports as the Media around here doesnt put nearly any pressure on anyone ever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

101 has been a mess for awhile, and I include Bernie's time there

But I very much disagree with this. he messed up a bit in the question, but his point behind asking it was sound. The Managers of the Cardinals have thought they were above the consequences for their actions for far too long. And he had no good/sound reason for his moves last night.

So getting mad at a question, when he screwed up last night, is just another tactic from the TLR/Cardinal Way playbook to distract from the real issue. This way people will talk about the dumb/bad media in St Louis, when in reality its one of the cushiest jobs in all of sports as the Media around here doesnt put nearly any pressure on anyone ever

What would you have done differently? 

5 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

What would you have done differently? 

All the problems started WAY before the 9th inning, Ill even let him have the quick hook on Oviedo (which should be questioned) but that means you then have to cover 4 more innings with your bullpen. And you have a multi run lead, so why are all these relievers just pitching one inning? ESPECIALLY if you are claiming that you are trying to save Reyes & Gallagos (I.e. not "burn them for tomorrow" which is a completely different gripe I have).

So fine, Cabrerra gets through that 6th, but he walked 2 guys in it so he probably needs to come out (although it was only 20 pitches) as he wasnt sharp, but his spot came up so you PH and Rondon hit a bomb. So good outcome there.

But after that, Helsley mows them down in the 6th, only throws 13 pitches, and for some reason he gets pulled. WHY? What is the point there? Helsley, who can be a starter, is being pulled after one inning when you are supposedly worried about you bullpen? (right after the ASB?) Put him back out there, let him ATLEAST start the inning. A guy like Helsley should be able to give you 3 innings at any time, especially when he is sharp like he was last night. 

So what is his plan after pulling Helsley? Bring in 2 guys who have barely played in the majors this year. What? But fine we bring in Justin Miller, and what happens? THE SAME EXACT THING!!! 13 pitches... 3 outs... no base runners... and he gets pulled again without his spot in the order coming up. Did he dominate them? No, but he got outs, so why not let him start the next inning? At this point we are just burning arms for no reason

I would have NEVER brought in Garcia (making his 3rd appearance this entire year) in a winning situation, that should have been reserved for when we are losing by a handful of runs until he has proven himself at the Major League level, because he isnt the guy he used to be (who wasnt all that great to begin with). But Shildt has painted himself into a corner at this point with all the quick hooks and planning rest days a week back from the ASB.

So he does get that strike out on the first batter, but that pitch was so bad you had to know he wasnt on tonight. Guys should be getting ready, atleast up and moving, nope. Then a bad break for him with Pauly, and now we are snowballing. He is in trouble and still not even a flinch in the BP. It wasnt until the middle of the 4 pitch walk that the announce team called out that Reyes was finally throwing. Thats too late, he isnt in save mode. 

Which comes to my next problem that I called out, you dont ALWAYS have to use your closer. That is such a lazy move to go there just because youve technically entered a save situation. Use your best pitchers when they are needed AND when they are ready. I can guarantee you that if not the moment Cabrera got out of the bases loaded 6th, definitely after the 2 solo shots in the bottom of the inning, Reyes Never expected to be in that game last night. We can say "always be ready" or whatever, but its human nature to kick your feet up at that point. 

So fine you do bring him in (and double switch, Ill get to that also) and he is in a bad spot from the jump with the Bases loaded. He never has control, he cant hit his spots, walks the first hitter, gets Contreras to chase for a strike out where he missed his spot on almost every pitch he threw, and is struggling on every single pitch. I know he has to face 3 batters, but again, NO ONE IS GETTING READY. Reyes has been great, but this isnt Mariano out there, he isnt infallible, you can pull him. These arent toddlers out there, when they dont have it they arent going to break mentally if you pull them. Then ANOTHER Walk (that should have been a 4 pitch walk) and still nothing. Hes in such a bad spot that he is now 3-1 on Baez and has to grove one. He just left him hanging out there to die, and we dont get anyone one up throwing until Happ is already in the box for his at bat. Why isnt Miller up and ready for Happ, to turn him around, as he is worse against Lefties?

If Reyes just gets got on one night, fine, he isnt going to get them all. But Shildt put this whole team in a bad spot starting in the 7th inning, it was a parade of bade decisions, and he wants to boil it down to like one at bat. Its not, thats a whole string of failures. And he has done this with the Bullpen for years now. He is terrible at managing it.

And the cherry on top is the Double switch of Sosa for DeJong, that Sosa doesnt even get his At Bat, that goes to Matt Carpenter? Who has another awful at bat. But even if he does get on, we dont have a pinch runner anymore for the slow Carpenter, because you just BURNED Sosa for absolutely no reason! I mean how do you even think about defending any of this?

• Like 1

And to be clear, Im not expecting this to be some World Series contending team right now (with all the injuries to the rotation) But I think its fair to expect us to be Average+ with all the talent we still do have active. And that means being atleast competent against teams similar to us, especially ones like the Cubs who have clearly already waived the White Flag. 

We just took 4 of 6 from the NL Leading Giants, so we are decent atleast. But we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot against the teams we should be racking up wins against

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?