The STL Cardinals Thread - Is It The Offseason Yet?

CWood21

34 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

They basically want a yes man. Mo is the problem 

That is a problem if he has that attitude about a coach, although I agree with him on the use of Reyes. It wasn't just one instance and cost us a bunch of games during the season. 

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

So far I've heard there was a rift on the way Schildt wanted to use/deploy Alex Reyes and the way the FO wanted him used. It spilled over when they recently met after the season to discuss how he should prepare for next year with him.

I seriously doubt a single player was the cause for an impasse between the FO and coaching staff.  It might have been one of the things that caused the breakup, but I'd imagine there's more then just that.

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

They basically want a yes man. Mo is the problem 

I don't think there's any one singular issue.  The Cardinals effectively froze their payroll from their 2019 season, but now with fans back in the seats I'd imagine that we're going to see them open up the purse a little bit.  Don't think we're going to see anything crazy, but I could see something in the neighborhood of $170M.  To me, that $180M that @kgarrett12486 suggested seems a bit optimistic for my liking.  $175M would be pushing it, especially when you have to account for in-season additions.  As much as DeWitt is an easy whipping boy for keyboard warriors, the Cardinals have historically been a top 12 payroll going back to 2000.  Could they open up the purse a bit more?  Sure, but that's also not my money being spent either.

The Cardinals have handed out some poor contracts as of late, but they've also managed to trade for Paul Goldschmidt and Nolan Arenado, two legitimate middle-of-the-order bats.  And even if I was skeptical of the deal, they dealt from a strength dealing Marco Gonzales for Tyler O'Neill who has emerged as MOTO bat as well.  The Cardinals have some serious money coming off the books this offseason, so saying this is a critical offseason could be an understatement.

We've discussed all the questionable decisions that Schildt made throughout the season, and I think that's the case for just about any manager.  But at the end of the day, I think you have to ask do you think he's a guy who can lead you to a championship?  I don't.  I think he's going to get the most out of a team who doesn't quite have an identity, but he's not going to win you a championship.

I don't mind a yes man for the FO if the FO proves to be successful. Roberts is a yes man for the Dodgers, as is the Rays coach. They're some of the most successful franchises around. I do kind of wonder if Mo is that tier. I've loved what he's done about acquiring talent, but the buck has to stop somewhere. I'm interested in who they bring in. My guess is Stubby. 

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I seriously doubt a single player was the cause for an impasse between the FO and coaching staff.  It might have been one of the things that caused the breakup, but I'd imagine there's more then just that.

No, I meant that Reyes was the tipping point. Sorry, poorly worded.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't mind a yes man for the FO if the FO proves to be successful. Roberts is a yes man for the Dodgers, as is the Rays coach. They're some of the most successful franchises around. I do kind of wonder if Mo is that tier. I've loved what he's done about acquiring talent, but the buck has to stop somewhere. I'm interested in who they bring in. My guess is Stubby. 

I don't necessarily think you need to have a "yes man" in place.  You just need to have a manager and the FO on the same page.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

👀👀👀

Not really sure what you are eye-bulging at? Thats just more remixed word salad of the very vague information that weve seen for days now.

It does seem that the riff came about due to Jeff Albert, which has been tossed out by many now, but the two things that really stand out to me is the fact that the Front Office wants to lean more into analytics, and if Schildt stood in the way of that he's got no leg to stand on as "his way" wasnt working. And more importantly, it sounds like many of the hitters (especially the younger and big name guys) started to lean on Albert, and his approach, which is what turned around their seasons in 2021, and lead to the winning streak, nothing that Schildt did.

While some players gave the nothing statements about being "surprised" at the move, not a single one seems to be bothered by it, much less outraged at it. Seems like it might have been brewing since mid season, and I wouldnt be shocked if Tommy Edman's (IIRC) comments were the signal flair to this ultimate ending. And then Schildts inability to learn/change his ways causing us to end the season abruptly with his usage of Reyes was just the final straw

Seems like Marmol or Clapp are going to get it, and I can understand why, but I wouldnt hate to see Skip take the spot either