The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I do agree that one more bat to that lineup would be ideal. And honestly, if we found a 1B bat we really want, we would go for it, and then deal either Carpenter or Wong. Im not sure Mo is attached to either one of them, and would probably be more willing to move Wong to a team that is looking for young/controlled talent.

Offensively, we really weren't that bad last year.  Not great, but not bad.  We were 13th in RS, which the only teams who were better than us that missed the playoffs were Miami and Texas.  They were 10th in wRC+, with only the Mariners and Athletics being better than the Cardinals and missing the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Offensively, we really weren't that bad last year.  Not great, but not bad.  We were 13th in RS, which the only teams who were better than us that missed the playoffs were Miami and Texas.  They were 10th in wRC+, with only the Mariners and Athletics being better than the Cardinals and missing the playoffs.

I understand thats where we ended up. but when you watched the team day to day, it left a whole lot to be desired. Not to mention we didnt have a single bat that actually scared you. You add Ozuna and Longoria, those are ones that are impact, and raise the surrounding hitters as well.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I understand thats where we ended up. but when you watched the team day to day, it left a whole lot to be desired. Not to mention we didnt have a single bat that actually scared you. You add Ozuna and Longoria, those are ones that are impact, and raise the surrounding hitters as well.

He had a 96 wRC+ in 2017.  He's not what the Cards are looking for.  (Shut up, hrubes) I mean.....He's EXACTLY what the Cards are looking for!

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

He had a 96 wRC+ in 2017.  He's not what the Cards are looking for.  (Shut up, hrubes) I mean.....He's EXACTLY what the Cards are looking for!

Its more about a consistent/reliable bat in the middle of the order. He isnt what he used to be, we all know that, but it is still an improvement on what we were running out there last year

21 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Its more about a consistent/reliable bat in the middle of the order. He isnt what he used to be, we all know that, but it is still an improvement on what we were running out there last year

If he returns closer to 2016 numbers, then yes he would be an upgrade, but if he's closer to 2017 he wouldn't be. Gyorko outperformed him in 2017...

Longoria and his contract would be the biggest gamble of anyone mentioned as part of a trade moving forward...

Stanton resolution can come as early as tomorrow. Saw a tweet from Crasnick today that said Dodgers interest has remained minimal at best throughout this whole process and that highly unlikely they would be able to pull it off financially. Doesn't see them exceeding luxury tax cap and it would take a lot of moves to clear enough space for them to add Stanton and stay under...

I'm not gonna lie guys, I think it's greater than 50% chance he stays in Miami to start the year and maybe they revisit trading him near the deadline...

17 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Stanton resolution can come as early as tomorrow. Saw a tweet from Crasnick today that said Dodgers interest has remained minimal at best throughout this whole process and that highly unlikely they would be able to pull it off financially. Doesn't see them exceeding luxury tax cap and it would take a lot of moves to clear enough space for them to add Stanton and stay under...

I'm not gonna lie guys, I think it's greater than 50% chance he stays in Miami to start the year and maybe they revisit trading him near the deadline...

Good, I'm done with waiting lol...The more time passes, the less and less I see him in a Cardinal uniform. But I'm just ready for them to move on. 

8 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Doesn't help that he had a 72 wRC+ away from Tropicana Field.  His career wRC+ away from Tropicana Field is 116.  I'm not saying he's going to be a world beater, but it should help our offense.

Craig Mish and Jim Bowden of SiriusXM are reporting that Giancarlo Stanton has indicated a preference for joining the Dodgers or Yankees in a trade.

Mish adds that Stanton is also interested in the Cubs and Astros. If Stanton wanted to play for the Giants or the Cardinals, one imagines a trade would have been finalized by now. Still, nothing has been officially rejected, and Stanton could still potentially accept one of the deals reportedly on the table if his preferred options don't step up to the plate. Both the Dodgers and Yankees are looking to get under the luxury-tax threshold, and taking on Stanton's deal would make that extremely difficult.

Unless one of these teams step up, which seems unlikely at this point, I think Stanton is going to stay in Miami. They could revisit talks near the deadline when maybe one of these teams comes looking...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?