The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Tim McKernan‏Verified account @tmckernan 49m49 minutes ago

From @CraigMish on #STLCards: In my heart of hearts, I believe that (in addition to #Stanton), the #Marlins are going to move Ozuna (not Yelich). And in order to get him, the Marlins are going to ask the team that gets Ozuna to take on one of the big contracts like Ziegler/Tazawa

Sounds like Plan B for STL might just be the same as Plan B (or more precisely, Step Two) for MIA.

Edited by tttmikeb

28 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Sounds like Plan B for STL might just be the same as Plan B (or more precisely, Step Two) for MIA.

Wouldn't mind taking either deal, as they're essentially the same Tazawa's deal (1 yr/$7 million) vs. Ziegler's (1 yr/$9 million) if it meant us getting Ozuna. it should also help us lessen the prospect return to MIA...

Keep this name in the back of your head as a potential BP addition. I think we'll focus on getting a closer first and foremost, but he would be a secondary arm we've explored after we find a closer...

Chris McCosky of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers are pursuing Japanese closer Yoshihisa Hirano.

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote of the Cardinals' interest in Hirano back in October and there are probably a number of other teams taking a look at him this winter. The 33-year-old right-hander posted a 2.67 ERA and 47/16 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 innings this past season for the Orix Buffaloes of Nippon Professional Baseball and boasts 156 career saves in Japan. He does not require a posting fee and is essentially an unrestricted free agent.

1 hour ago, tttmikeb said:

Not really surprised that the Marlins are more likely to move Ozuna than Yelich.  Yelich is locked up on a team-friendly deal.

44 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Wouldn't mind taking either deal, as they're essentially the same Tazawa's deal (1 yr/$7 million) vs. Ziegler's (1 yr/$9 million) if it meant us getting Ozuna. it should also help us lessen the prospect return to MIA...

I'd prefer Ziegler if I had to pick between the two.  Tazawa is damaged goods at this point.  His K/9 is down, his BB/9 is up, and his FB velocity is down 2 MPH from his later years in Boston.  At this point, he's a sunk cost.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd prefer Ziegler if I had to pick between the two.  Tazawa is damaged goods at this point.  His K/9 is down, his BB/9 is up, and his FB velocity is down 2 MPH from his later years in Boston.  At this point, he's a sunk cost.

Honestly, I wouldn't count on either one to actually make the team or be thrown into any type of leverage situation. Ziegler is coming off a pretty porous year (although he did pick it up in the 2nd half). He's heading into his age 38 year though and his stuff has diminished quickly...

The Cardinals have announced that they have been informed that Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stantonwill not waive his no-trade clause to approve a deal to St. Louis. 

Well we finally have our answer, so we can move on now. can't fault the FO at all on this, they did everything within their power to land him, including offering to eat more of the contract than anyone else and offering a better package.

Let's get the wheels turning on some moves now!

14 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't count on either one to actually make the team or be thrown into any type of leverage situation. Ziegler is coming off a pretty porous year (although he did pick it up in the 2nd half). He's heading into his age 38 year though and his stuff has diminished quickly...

At this point, I don't think either is going to change the complexion of our bullpen.  But I think Ziegler gives the Cardinals a different look out of their bullpen, something they haven't had had since Pat Neshek was pitching back in 2014.

9 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Well we finally have our answer, so we can move on now. can't fault the FO at all on this, they did everything within their power to land him, including offering to eat more of the contract than anyone else and offering a better package.

Let's get the wheels turning on some moves now!

I wish I shared your optimism.  I'm just tired of being the bridesmaid, and never the bride so to speak.  Fortunately, coming in 2nd has worked out for the Cardinals thus far given how Jason Heyward and David Price FA pursuits shook out.  But I'm tired of the "biggest" offseason move is signing a middling reliever.  I want to see tangible upgrades, not just marginal upgrades.  We're going to be a .500 team again this year unless we make a move one way or another.

9 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Stanton is an idiot. I hope he stays in Miami and rots. 

Honestly, he's pushing Kevin Durant in terms of my opinion of him.  I mean, I get wanting to play for a title contender but pretty much screwing over the team that invested everything into you in order to ensure you go to a World Series-bound team isn't exactly endearing.  I kinda hope that Miami holds onto him, and dismantles everything around him.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, he's pushing Kevin Durant in terms of my opinion of him.  I mean, I get wanting to play for a title contender but pretty much screwing over the team that invested everything into you in order to ensure you go to a World Series-bound team isn't exactly endearing.  I kinda hope that Miami holds onto him, and dismantles everything around him.

He's getting his wish guys, he played it right. Going to Yankees...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?