The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I really hope we can somehow get Colome and Archer. I wouldn't mind to give up some decent prospects for it either. We're crazy to think our rotation is set and can be a strength with the current makeup. A 1-2 punch of Archer and Martinez would remedy this. Giving up Kelly and Flaherty plus O'Neil/Bader/Mags would be fine. I'm not sure that would be enough, though.

If we were to get Archer, I would think that the package in return would START with Weaver & Kelly, plus a good amount more. I also think that if you are getting the deal that Archer's contract is, you probably have to take on the rest f Longoria's deal.

How about this Mega deal?

Cardinals receive

• Chris Archer - SP
  • Evan Longoria - 3B
  • Alex Colome - RP

Rays receive

• Luke Weaver - SP
  • Carson Kelly - C
  • Kolten Wong - 2B
  • Randall Grichuck - OF
  • Sandy Alcantara - SP
  • Tyler O'Neill - OF
  • Austin Gomber - SP

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Couple of updates today from WM on Ozuna:

-We're the 'favorites' to land him currently (as we should be given our already aligned dealings w/ the Marlins w/ Stanton fiasco), nothing imminent though yet.

-Apparently Marlins want team getting Ozuna to take Tazawa and his contract as well...

Maybe we can sweeten the deal a bit and take Ziegler instead. He may suck too but at least he has a cool delivery.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

If we were to get Archer, I would think that the package in return would START with Weaver & Kelly, plus a good amount more. I also think that if you are getting the deal that Archer's contract is, you probably have to take on the rest f Longoria's deal.

How about this Mega deal?

Cardinals receive

• Chris Archer - SP
  • Evan Longoria - 3B
  • Alex Colome - RP

Rays receive

• Luke Weaver - SP
  • Carson Kelly - C
  • Kolten Wong - 2B
  • Randall Grichuck - OF
  • Sandy Alcantara - SP
  • Tyler O'Neill - OF
  • Austin Gomber - SP

That would be a hell of a trade but we’d still be lacking a MOTO bat which is the biggest thing we needed this offseason. Longoria doesn’t really do it for me. He’d be a nice piece to have but only if we got a true MOTO as well.

Fwiw, Colome apparently said that he had gotten some nice messages from those accounts so he decided to give them a follow.  Maybe it's nothing, but it still seems like more than a coincidence that a Rays player would all of a sudden follow 4 Cardinals-related accounts.

1 hour ago, tttmikeb said:

Fwiw, Colome apparently said that he had gotten some nice messages from those accounts so he decided to give them a follow.  Maybe it's nothing, but it still seems like more than a coincidence that a Rays player would all of a sudden follow 4 Cardinals-related accounts.

Especially when he only follows 23 accounts period lol.

Where there's smoke there's fire (hopefully).

26 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if we'd still try to get Nicasio back if we get Colome? I'd be all for it but it seems unlikely. 

I think if we get Colome the Nicasio market has probably sailed for us, unless he's somehow still sitting there later into the off-season and he can be had reasonably cheap...

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think if we get Colome the Nicasio market has probably sailed for us, unless he's somehow still sitting there later into the off-season and he can be had reasonably cheap...

Agreed.  I certainly wouldn't mind bringing him back.  Gregerson > Nicasio > Colome would be really nice, but I sort of doubt we'll be investing that much money into the bullpen.  But like you said, if Nicasio's somehow still available late (which probably means cheaper), then I'd be all for it.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?