The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I think they've been trying since June to get Piscotty close to the Bay area to get him Closer to his Mom, who if you don't know by now, is dealing with ALS. I honestly don't think this trade has anything to do with how the Cardinals feel about Piscotty the player. 

That's pretty terrible. Hopefully its just a fair trade across the board for both sides.

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

Not sure when it was from, but Goold reported it. 

I saw someone mention it last night.  I don't the Cardinals are willing to match what the Orioles would want in return for him, and the Cardinals aren't about to overpay for a rental.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I saw someone mention it last night.  I don't the Cardinals are willing to match what the Orioles would want in return for him, and the Cardinals aren't about to overpay for a rental.

The only thing I saw was a brief note in one of Goold's articles that they met with BAL to see if they could meet BAL's asking price.  Sounds to me like a preliminary discussion - not anything of substance.  I'm with you about overpaying for a rental.  They've explicitly said that a deal for a player with one year left is not their preference.  I think the odds that BAL's asking price being low enough for us to be comfortable with it are very low.

Just now, tttmikeb said:

The only thing I saw was a brief note in one of Goold's articles that they met with BAL to see if they could meet BAL's asking price.  Sounds to me like a preliminary discussion - not anything of substance.  I'm with you about overpaying for a rental.  They've explicitly said that a deal for a player with one year left is not their preference.  I think the odds that BAL's asking price being low enough for us to be comfortable with it are very low.

If they're going to deal for a rental, it's going to be Josh Donaldson.  But the Blue Jays seem to be resisting the idea of rebuilding and are going to try and make a contender in the AL East.

Now, I'm ok with trading for longoria. Before the Ozuna trade, I didn't want Longo to be the teams "big bat" they been talking about. But now, if we can add Longoria to this lineup and move Gyorko back to that super sub role...This team looks pretty impressive 

1. Matt Carpenter 1B 
2. Dexter Fowler LF
3. Tommy Pham CF 
4. Marcell Ozuna RF 
5. Paul Dejong SS 
6. Evan Longoria 3B
7. Yadier Molina C 
8. Kolton Wong 2B

Bench:
Jose Martinez
Carson Kelly
Randall Grichuk
Jed Gyorko
Greg Garcia

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If they're going to deal for a rental, it's going to be Josh Donaldson.  But the Blue Jays seem to be resisting the idea of rebuilding and are going to try and make a contender in the AL East.

Yeah, I think you're right.  I'd be very surprised if we ended up with either Donaldson or Machado.  I think they're both most likely to stay with their current club into next season, and I seriously doubt we'd be willing to give up enough to convince their teams to deal them to us.

2 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Now, I'm ok with trading for longoria. Before the Ozuna trade, I didn't want Longo to be the teams "big bat" they been talking about. But now, if we can add Longoria to this lineup and move Gyorko back to that super sub role...This team looks pretty impressive

I'm not sure anyone really "wanted" Longoria as the big bat, I think he was more the complimentary big bat.  If you added him with Ozuna, that makes our middle of the order significantly more impressive.  Not sure you have your lineup correct though.  Most likely would be:

1B Matt Carpenter
CF Tommy Pham
LF Marcel Ozuma
3B Evan Longoria
RF Dexter Fowler
SS Paul DeJong
C Yadier Molina
2B Kolten Wong

Although, I'd LOVE to figure out a way to get Manny Machado into that lineup.  Slot him in that 3rd hole and knock everyone else down one.  Just dreaming though.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?