The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm really not sure, as a giants fan, how I felt about that offer. I Think it would have depended largely on whether or not the team could have moved Belt. I think Martinez would end up being a net negative if he had to play defense in the outfield in SF. If we could play him more at first it wouldn't be ideal, but much more palatable than having him play the outfield. 

I would assume it meant they would end up dealing Belt.  Martinez is bad defensively no matter where you play him.  Playing in the OF in AT&T Park sounds like a recipe for disaster though.  But he actually graded out worse defensively at first than he did in the OF.

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Give me Justin Wilson instead. Hard throwing lefty with a real good K rate. He'd get a 2 yr deal max.

Avoid a 3+ year commitment to a RP...

Yeah, unless you're grabbing a closer I'm not sure I can go past 2 years for a reliever given how volatile they are.

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned it but I am very excited about our coaching staff. I've heard really good things about the analytical approach of our new hitting coach. We still have Budda as the assistant. Maddux is good with the pitchers. Plus, we still have Shildt and his analytics. I think we might be really good this year with a few little tweaks.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?