The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we'll be ok with the current offense too. Carp, Healthy Dejong, Goldy, and Ozuna can anchor the top of the lineup. O'Neil and Martinez are right there in case Ozuna or Fowler struggle. I'm expecting an improved Wong too. Yadi is solid. Bader is still fast and can get on base a little. I think we might go after a big bat at the deadline, but I'm kind of excited to see what we can do with our current roster. I'm not as confident about the offense as I am the pitchers and the defense, and I'd prefer to have a reliable #2 hitter, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

If youre already thinking about finding a bat at the deadline, then we clearly still need a bat. 

I cant believe (I know we are) we are going to go into the Season with Fowler as a top of the lineup hitter. It just seems outrageous to me.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

Do we need another Reliever? 

Do we need one?  No.  Would we better off with another one?  Probably.

CL - Andrew Miller
SU - Jordan Hicks
RP - Dakota Hudson
RP - John Brebbia
RP - Dominic Leone
RP - Connor Shreve (L)
RP - Brett Cecil (L)

That's probably our bullpen starting next year, and I don't think I'm missing anyone.  Recent reports on Luke Gregerson doesn't sound like we're going to get much of anything from him this year, so I'm not planning on it.  Sounds like a sunk cost at this point.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:07 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we'll be ok with the current offense too. Carp, Healthy Dejong, Goldy, and Ozuna can anchor the top of the lineup. O'Neil and Martinez are right there in case Ozuna or Fowler struggle. I'm expecting an improved Wong too. Yadi is solid. Bader is still fast and can get on base a little. I think we might go after a big bat at the deadline, but I'm kind of excited to see what we can do with our current roster. I'm not as confident about the offense as I am the pitchers and the defense, and I'd prefer to have a reliable #2 hitter, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Agreed.  Short of the Cardinals slow playing the whole Bryce Harper thing, we're done.  And I think Mozeliak's comments indicated that.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do we need one?  No.  Would we better off with another one?  Probably.

CL - Andrew Miller
SU - Jordan Hicks
RP - Dakota Hudson
RP - John Brebbia
RP - Dominic Leone
RP - Connor Shreve (L)
RP - Brett Cecil (L)

That's probably our bullpen starting next year, and I don't think I'm missing anyone.  Recent reports on Luke Gregerson doesn't sound like we're going to get much of anything from him this year, so I'm not planning on it.  Sounds like a sunk cost at this point.

They're talking up Genesis Cabrera a lot too. I could see him pulling a Hicks and making the team. 

On 1/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Does anyone think Bader could hit at the top of the lineup this year? If he improves is he a good candidate for the #2 hole? Anything in his makeup make this seem like a possibility?

Apparently reports are saying Goldy will hit in the 2nd spot and DeJong in the 3rd...

On 1/25/2019 at 3:03 PM, CWood21 said:

Were still not sure what they are going to do with Reyes

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Were still not sure what they are going to do with Reyes

Good point.  I think I read that he may not be ready for the beginning of the season.  And even if that's true, he could end up either in our bullpen or Memphis' rotation.  He'll be a valuable piece for us one way or another at some point this season.  Just hoping he can stay healthy.

What’s everyone’s take on Hudson? He was effective last year but it seemed sort of flukey. He needs to start striking people out. Does he ever get a shot at the rotation? Is the pen his destiny? Seems like he could go either way. If he never progresses he looks like a highly touted Seth Maness. If he hits his potential, Trevor Hoffman?

22 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What’s everyone’s take on Hudson? He was effective last year but it seemed sort of flukey. He needs to start striking people out. Does he ever get a shot at the rotation? Is the pen his destiny? Seems like he could go either way. If he never progresses he looks like a highly touted Seth Maness. If he hits his potential, Trevor Hoffman?

I think he needs to have better command of his pitches this year. And a better understanding of a big league strike zone. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?