The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Most likely. Smart though, keep him rather than sell him off for nothing...

From what I've gathered, there were some teams who were interested in giving a prospect-based package for Jose Martinez.  But the Cardinals want more MLB-ready pieces.  Depending on the prospects being dangled, they could probably re-route those prospects.

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

From what I've gathered, there were some teams who were interested in giving a prospect-based package for Jose Martinez.  But the Cardinals want more MLB-ready pieces.  Depending on the prospects being dangled, they could probably re-route those prospects.

Yah, Goold had a chat yesterday and talked that Houston and LA had the most productive talks with us, but ultimately weren't willing to part with anyone of our interest...

He eluded that if we did move Martinez, he thinks we'd be in play for Marwin Gonzalez...

16 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Doesn't sound like Chris Duncan is doing to good. He's taken a permanent leave from his radio show as he continues to battle his Brain Tumor. Praying for him and the entire Duncan family. 

Heard this too. Sadly, I know the effects of a cancerous brain tumor.

My aunt was one of healthiest people I knew. She was fitness model and trainer. She was diagnosed with one and went downhill quick. Died 1.7 years after it was found. She was 39.

Praying for the Duncans. 

34 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

If the White Sox offer for Machado is legit (7 years, $175)....Would you want the Cardinals to make a run at him?

The money part isn't legit. There are conflicting reports on it.

I've seen a couple insiders with ties to White Sox say their number in 'north of 200'.

Problem with us is, Manny doesn't have a true fit here. He's blocked at 3B and SS. You'd have to move DeJong off short and trade Wong. That's a lot of moving parts...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I've seen a couple insiders with ties to White Sox say their number in 'north of 200'.

Problem with us is, Manny doesn't have a true fit here. He's blocked at 3B and SS. You'd have to move DeJong off short and trade Wong. That's a lot of moving parts...

Agreed.  Not a true fit for the reason you stated, plus the whole "Johnny Hustle" comment.  I know that was somewhat overblown, but I don't know that his personality would fit very well either.  I'll pass.

8 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Let's look at this objectively, if Manny Machado was signing on the dotted line the Cardinals would move Wong or DeJong to make room for him.  I'm sure some team would take a rather cheap starting 2B.  That being said, I don't think the Cardinals want to add him to the roster anyways.  Between the Johnny Hustle and some of his other recent comments, I don't think the Cardinals want him in the clubhouse.

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited to see a full season of Shildt. I think the guys really responded well to him(and the departure of MM). I think he will do wonders for guys like Wong and Fowler. If Wong can keep making improvements at the plate and Fowler can get back to close to what he was, this team will do really well. Having Wong and Fowler on base really helps score runs. 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

We need another bat

I think we'll be ok with the current offense too. Carp, Healthy Dejong, Goldy, and Ozuna can anchor the top of the lineup. O'Neil and Martinez are right there in case Ozuna or Fowler struggle. I'm expecting an improved Wong too. Yadi is solid. Bader is still fast and can get on base a little. I think we might go after a big bat at the deadline, but I'm kind of excited to see what we can do with our current roster. I'm not as confident about the offense as I am the pitchers and the defense, and I'd prefer to have a reliable #2 hitter, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?