The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

7 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I do have a question about spacing.... how come when you don't finish a line of text and press enter to go to next line, it double spaces. 

For instance....

Space in between. Anyway to remove that or anyway around it? I'm on my phone so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

If you don't want that space, hit CTRL+Enter, and you won't get that double spacing look.

Like this
Now that

Webby made a poll a little while ago about whether or not to make the switch and it passed overwhelmingly, but when he went to make the changed it screwed up the formatting on the post that were already made.  So he flipped it back.  We're just going to have to get used to it.  I haven't played with mobile, but I'd assume it's the same way.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That quote about the Cardinals being less incentivized to offer Lynn the QO makes little to no sense unless they're worried he's going to accept the QO.  Teams no longer lose their 1st round pick and the bonus pool associated with it, so it in theory should allow teams more flexibility to go after those FA with draft picks tied to them.  Not to mention, the Cardinals aren't hurting in terms of salary and I believe the new TV contract kicks in this year.

Agreed, that quote is scary. Why the hell would you not make the qualifying offer to Lynn? Even if he takes it (he won't, he'll get a multi-year deal in excess of $50 million-the QO baseline for compensatory pick) you're getting a workhorse to eat innings at a decent price ($18 million). With guys like Wacha, Weaver, Reyes, etc. why would you not want this insurance...

If they're truly not going to offer QO, they better move him at the deadline. Letting him walk for absolutely nothing would be a HUGE mistake IMO...

5 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed, that quote is scary. Why the hell would you not make the qualifying offer to Lynn? Even if he takes it (he won't, he'll get a multi-year deal in excess of $50 million-the QO baseline for compensatory pick) you're getting a workhorse to eat innings at a decent price ($18 million). With guys like Wacha, Weaver, Reyes, etc. why would you not want this insurance...

If they're truly not going to offer QO, they better move him at the deadline. Letting him walk for absolutely nothing would be a HUGE mistake IMO...

It's mind boggling to me.  The Cardinals offered the QO to John Lackey a couple of years ago when it was even more clear they didn't really plan on keeping him around longterm, I can't imagine that the FO would let Lynn walk without getting anything in compensation.  Lance Lynn has been pretty reliable a 3 WAR SP pre-TJS, so at the cost $8M/WAR they're getting $24M worth of value and only paying him $18M.  That's $6M in surplus value.  Even if you're ready to insert young players (i.e. Luke Weaver, Alex Reyes, Jack Flaherty, etc.) into the rotation, there's no reason not to offer the QO to him.  I know MLBTR didn't even list him as a top 10 FA, instead opting for Michael Pineda.  Lynn has over his career been a better pitcher than Michael Pineda, and the injury to Pineda blows that one open.

The Los Angeles Dodgers and Cleveland had scouts present Thursday night at Busch and have tailed the Cardinals recently. The Cardinals have had at least one scout present at a recent Yankees’ minor-league game. The Dodgers could also be looking for lefthanded relief help, of which the Cardinals have four in their bullpen. Cleveland is more likely to be reviewing the Cardinals’ outfielders, with Tommy Pham and Randal Grichuk garnering interest this month.

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Jon Heyman said this morning that talks between the Yankees and A's have completely stalled, as Yankee's refuse to give up Torres or Frazier. He said Yankees may now turn full attention to Lance Lynn or Jaime Garcia who they've already checked in on availability...

Explains why we've been in their minors...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Saw this as well. Wonder what we could pull from them if it was a package of Rosie and Pham?

You can cross Victor Robles off the list of possibilities, they're not trading him.  And given that Erick Fedde recently got the promotion to the big leagues, they're probably not moving him either.  Maybe the best package would be headlined by Juan Soto, but probably looking at a package headlined by Carter Kieboom instead.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You can cross Victor Robles off the list of possibilities, they're not trading him.  And given that Erick Fedde recently got the promotion to the big leagues, they're probably not moving him either.  Maybe the best package would be headlined by Juan Soto, but probably looking at a package headlined by Carter Kieboom instead.

Cardinals trade:
Tommy Pham OF
Trevor Rosenthal P 

Nationals trade:
Carter Kieboom 3B 
Yasel Antuna SS/3B 
McKenzie Mills P 

Fair?

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?