Jump to content

The STL Cardinals Thread - Come On Down Steven Matz


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

How we feeling boys?

Wednesday can’t come soon enough. Hopefully Waino is on his A game. 

We've got our work cut out for us.  The sooner you get Scherzer out of the game, the better our chances will be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty worried about tonight. Scherzer is going to come out like a bulldog. We need to scratch out a couple runs early on him. That's typically how you score runs against an Ace like him. Gotta get them before they settle in. Pulling for a vintage Waino start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the big leagues Juan, what a game to debut in potentially.

 

Cardinals purchased the contract of INF/OF Juan Yepez from Triple-A Memphis.

Yepez could make his MLB debut at some point during Wednesday night's NL Wild Card Game at Dodger Stadium. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t blame it all on Shildt when the heart of our order went 2-19 but it is quite concerning that he can’t learn from his prior mistakes. 

Ill say it again… Reyes is not a reliever, he does not have the mentality and can not handle coming into a game mid inning with runners on. (because he’s a starter) so of course we bring him in for that exact situation in the do or die game of the year

hes going to keep costing us games as the manager

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Need some big changes this offseason if they actually want to get out of the WC round. SS and SP need to be addressed big time. 

As much as I think EVERYONE would love to have a game changing SS, it's not going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As much as I think EVERYONE would love to have a game changing SS, it's not going to happen.

Well they better get used to WC round exits and missing the playoffs because what they have now isn’t winning a WS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Well they better get used to WC round exits and missing the playoffs because what they have now isn’t winning a WS.

Missing our true ace (Jack Flaherty) and 3/5ths of the rotation for majority of the year.  Give me halfway decent SP, and the Brewers would have been the ones playing the Dodgers in the WC round.  The problem isn't the SS position.  It was our lack of SP.  19th in FIP, 21st in WAR, and 10th in IP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

You keep saying this but have yet to provide any reasons why

Let's go through it shall we?  We're at $108M in guaranteed salaries via Cot's.  That doesn't include any arbitration raises, but it does include the Cardinals very likely declining their player options on Carlos Martinez ($0.5M) and Matt Carpenter ($2M).  If we're lazy and we assume ZERO raises for arbitration eligible players, that's another ~$10M.  Realistically, you probably going to need to double that because Jack Flaherty is going to get a pretty sizeable pay bump.  Let's use $20M as the total for arbitration raises for simplicity's sake, that puts the Cardinals at $128M.  The Cardinals payroll was pretty close to their 2019 number $163M/$164M, and their payroll in 2018 was $160M.  So let's use $170M as the number for their payroll.  Can you squeeze a $25M+ shortstop that doesn't end in a situation where the rotation is a HUGE liability again?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CWood21 said:

Let's go through it shall we?  We're at $108M in guaranteed salaries via Cot's.  That doesn't include any arbitration raises, but it does include the Cardinals very likely declining their player options on Carlos Martinez ($0.5M) and Matt Carpenter ($2M).  If we're lazy and we assume ZERO raises for arbitration eligible players, that's another ~$10M.  Realistically, you probably going to need to double that because Jack Flaherty is going to get a pretty sizeable pay bump.  Let's use $20M as the total for arbitration raises for simplicity's sake, that puts the Cardinals at $128M.  The Cardinals payroll was pretty close to their 2019 number $163M/$164M, and their payroll in 2018 was $160M.  So let's use $170M as the number for their payroll.  Can you squeeze a $25M+ shortstop that doesn't end in a situation where the rotation is a HUGE liability again?

And for the record, I think it's only a matter of time before Matt Liberatore ends up in the St. Louis Cardinals' rotation next year.  But that would likely be in a situation where he's got someone holding his place until he clears Super 2 status.  That's someone like a Jon Lester or J.A. Happ.  Or until Miles Mikolas breaks down again.  So you've got right now Adam Wainwright, Jack Flaherty, and Miles Mikolas your SP next year.  Who else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - Come On Down Steven Matz

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...