The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Cardinals are among the 10+ teams with interest in Nick Martinez.

He's pitched the last couple years overseas in Japan and posted strong numbers. We're literally looking to capture Miles Mikolas 2.0. He even originally comes from the Rangers organization, just like Mikolas did. 

What's his mustache situation? Lizards eaten per 9?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Mike Schildt is one of the (3) finalists for NL manager of the year lol. How ironic would it be if he won. 

All this shows is that the National voters dont actually pay attention, just look at standings and headlines (i.e. winning streak) Because his actual managing was atrocious for 95% pf the season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Cardinals are among the 10+ teams with interest in Nick Martinez.

He's pitched the last couple years overseas in Japan and posted strong numbers. We're literally looking to capture Miles Mikolas 2.0. He even originally comes from the Rangers organization, just like Mikolas did. 

His numbers from his previous MLB stint are atrocious.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's disappointing.

Its already been reported that we arent out on him. Obviously he going to be looking at all option, and likely wants to look for somewhere that hes go a path to the majors. But it keeps him out of the Rule 5 draft, and lets him make his own decision on his future

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

His numbers from his previous MLB stint are atrocious.

TBF, that's how pretty much all these guys are that are younger when they go over to Japan. They're all guys who flamed out early, or never made it. Some guys need that 2nd chance later.

The hard thing is being able to identify the guys that can make the successful transition back due to changes they've implemented. Clearly, with him having lots of interest, teams think he's that guy. 

Jon Heyman of MLB.com reports that the Athletics are willing to listen to trade offers on their veterans, including Frankie Montas, Chris Bassitt, and Sean Manaea. It's no surprise at this point. Going beyond the starting pitchers, the Athletics also figure to field offers on the likes of Matt Chapman and Matt Olson. Manaea projects to be the most expensive of the A's starting pitchers in 2022, but all three are due raises in arbitration. While that might not work for the A's at this point, interest should be vast for this entire group of players. 

Sign me up for Manea. He'd be a great fit for our staff. Has 1 year left and is arbitration eligible, so can't image he would cost too much compensation wise. 

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Jon Heyman of MLB.com reports that the Athletics are willing to listen to trade offers on their veterans, including Frankie Montas, Chris Bassitt, and Sean Manaea. It's no surprise at this point. Going beyond the starting pitchers, the Athletics also figure to field offers on the likes of Matt Chapman and Matt Olson. Manaea projects to be the most expensive of the A's starting pitchers in 2022, but all three are due raises in arbitration. While that might not work for the A's at this point, interest should be vast for this entire group of players. 

Sign me up for Manea. He'd be a great fit for our staff. Has 1 year left and is arbitration eligible, so can't image he would cost too much compensation wise. 

I disagree.  He's not going to come cheap.

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I disagree.  He's not going to come cheap.

I'm not saying he'll be cheap, but I don't think it's going to cost as much as some think if the reports are true that A's are 'desperate' to shed almost $40-50M in payroll.

Olson and Chapman are their premier guys that will bring back the big hauls. With Manaea's shoulder injury history, it dampens his market IMO. 

On 11/7/2021 at 12:06 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

I’m sure we’ll be interested in every big FA SS(as we should be). Whether we actually sign one is a different story.

As much as I hate sounding like a Debbie downer, it doesn't appear the Cardinals are going to be big players in the FA market for shortstops.  Seems their priority is securing the bullpen and grabbing one more starter.  I think Marcus Stroman is gonna be a top target.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

As much as I hate sounding like a Debbie downer, it doesn't appear the Cardinals are going to be big players in the FA market for shortstops.  Seems their priority is securing the bullpen and grabbing one more starter.  I think Marcus Stroman is gonna be a top target.

Would love Stroman but I cant See us signing someone who is as outspoken as him.  

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?