The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

There has to be better pitcher in the Memphis better than Leake. Get this bum off the team. One of the worse FA signings this team has ever made.

I guess it's convenient to just forget how good he was for the first half of the year 

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Very much the truth.  He had a 3.12 ERA in the first half, and post-All Star break it's north of 7.

I feel like this goes back to what someone mentioned earlier. We have not taken advantage of that 10 day DL this year. Something is nagging Leake, you dont have that switch without an outside factor. Should have sat him down for one start, clear his head, and see if that helps, or if the injury manifests itself if you jolt him out of his routine.

He is a guy who for good or bad, will be a big part of this teams future. With that NTC for the next 3 seasons 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I feel like this goes back to what someone mentioned earlier. We have not taken advantage of that 10 day DL this year. Something is nagging Leake, you dont have that switch without an outside factor. Should have sat him down for one start, clear his head, and see if that helps, or if the injury manifests itself if you jolt him out of his routine.

He is a guy who for good or bad, will be a big part of this teams future. With that NTC for the next 3 seasons 

I totally agree.  With the DL only being 10 days, if they have an off day in that 10-day stretch, Leake (or whoever) could miss only one start (with someone like Weaver getting a start) and you wouldn't have to alter the rotation order at all.  It's frustrating that we're missing the opportunity to take advantage of something that seems so simple.

1 hour ago, tttmikeb said:

I totally agree.  With the DL only being 10 days, if they have an off day in that 10-day stretch, Leake (or whoever) could miss only one start (with someone like Weaver getting a start) and you wouldn't have to alter the rotation order at all.  It's frustrating that we're missing the opportunity to take advantage of something that seems so simple.

Especially since it has been used quite frequently by other teams in the league.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Especially since it has been used quite frequently by other teams in the league.

Exactly, 

As I've stated before when I first brought this up. We're missing opportunities to keep our roster at peak by not manipulating this new rule...

It's not a coincidence the Dodgers have been pretty much the fore font of using the 10 day DL to the max this year and they're like 50 games over .500 (I know it's not they only reason, but It's sure helped them navigate some injuries and they're likely about to do it again w/ Alex Wood)...

21 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Exactly, 

As I've stated before when I first brought this up. We're missing opportunities to keep our roster at peak by not manipulating this new rule...

It's not a coincidence the Dodgers have been pretty much the fore font of using the 10 day DL to the max this year and they're like 50 games over .500 (I know it's not they only reason, but It's sure helped them navigate some injuries and they're likely about to do it again w/ Alex Wood)...

The question is...why aren't they doing it?  I mean, they're smart enough to figure out how to do it.  They have to be aware of other teams doing it.  Is it a product of Matheny's reluctance to tell the players that they need a break?  That seems the most likely to me.  Although, we've also seem Mo make moves in the past to force Matheny's hand in how he handles the roster.  

3 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

The question is...why aren't they doing it?  I mean, they're smart enough to figure out how to do it.  They have to be aware of other teams doing it.  Is it a product of Matheny's reluctance to tell the players that they need a break?  That seems the most likely to me.  Although, we've also seem Mo make moves in the past to force Matheny's hand in how he handles the roster.  

I'm not sure there's any one reason.  I do think Matheny struggles to keep ahold of the clubhouse.  But I also think that Mo doesn't want to be too hands on with his manager.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?