Jump to content

The STL Cardinals Thread - Come On Down Steven Matz


Recommended Posts

On 11/29/2021 at 3:57 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m seeing internet people talking about moving Edman to SS. I question that fit. Has anyone seen anything about that?

I think the only way you'd see Edman go to SS if they found a 2B-only type.  And I think it'd be more in the situation that Nolan Gorman broke ST with the big league club, which seems unlikely.  Gorman seems destined to start the year at Memphis until he clears S2 status.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Carlson RF
Goldy 1B
O'Neil LF
Arenado 3B
Edman/DeJong SS
Yepez DH
Yadi C
Gorman 2B
Bader CF

That's my ideal lineup in July of next year. That is, of course, with the CBA getting figured out and the DH being implemented. Without the DH, I'd slide Yadi, Gorman, and Bader up a slot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Not that he's some ultimate authority, but Buster Onley droped his Top 10 at each position, and its interesting to see where each Cardinal landed;

Arenado and Goldschmidt both ended up as the #3 3B and 1B respectively. A 40 year old Yadi snuck onto the list at #9 for Catchers. And Tommy Edman got a nod as the final Honorable Mention at 2B. As expected, no mention of a SS.

The Outfield is alittle more interesting if you ask me.

Right Field is absolutely stacked, Acuna, Soto, Harper, Judge and Betts is a stupid good Top 5. But it is interesting to see Carlson be his second Honorable Mention. Nice to see as he continues to put things together.

Even more surprising though is Center Field, behind anther stacked list (including Trout, Springer, Robert, Bellinger and Buxton) is the first Honorable Mention of Harrison Bader. I guess a 30%+ drop in Strikeouts and a Gold Glove will do that for you. 

And while I championed him for a few years, even I would say, the most surprising is in Left Field, where Tyler O'Neill is lister as the NUMBER ONE player on his list. Thats over Benintendi, Ozuna, Christian Yelich, and even every BFIB's favorite Randy. 

Again, not saying these are the definitive rankings in any way what-so-ever, its just a crazy long way from where we were with these 3 guys going into last years Spring Training time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The opening of the '21/'22 IFA signing period has started and the Cardinals have signed a few interesting FA.  The Cardinals have recently opted to spread their IFA bonus money over multiple players, and this appears no different this year.  The Cardinals signed SS Jonathan Mejia (#14 IFA prospect) and C Luis Rodriguez (#26 IFA prospect) as top 30 IFA.  Mejia is a switch-hitting SS who models his game after Javier Baez while Luis Rodriguez is a power-hitting catcher with developing defensive skills.  The most interesting might be Won-Bin Cho from South Korea who is a 5 tool CF who passed up on being drafted in the KBO to go to the MLB.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The opening of the '21/'22 IFA signing period has started and the Cardinals have signed a few interesting FA.  The Cardinals have recently opted to spread their IFA bonus money over multiple players, and this appears no different this year.  The Cardinals signed SS Jonathan Mejia (#14 IFA prospect) and C Luis Rodriguez (#26 IFA prospect) as top 30 IFA.  Mejia is a switch-hitting SS who models his game after Javier Baez while Luis Rodriguez is a power-hitting catcher with developing defensive skills.  The most interesting might be Won-Bin Cho from South Korea who is a 5 tool CF who passed up on being drafted in the KBO to go to the MLB.

We’ve built a great relationship with South Korea. We’ve got a pipeline. Cho looks exciting, but he’s very young. It’s exciting to get these guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We’ve built a great relationship with South Korea. We’ve got a pipeline. Cho looks exciting, but he’s very young. It’s exciting to get these guys.

Don't think any of them crack our top 10 prospects, but it's always nice to get some more young talent in the pipeline.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Don't think any of them crack our top 10 prospects, but it's always nice to get some more young talent in the pipeline.

IDK, I think Cho could on the back end of the top ten. Apparently he was a hot commodity and the scouting site guys live him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

IDK, I think Cho could on the back end of the top ten. Apparently he was a hot commodity and the scouting site guys live him.

He reportedly got a 500k bonus to sign, so I'd have to imagine that if he was that valuable that he would have signed for a bigger bonus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He reportedly got a 500k bonus to sign, so I'd have to imagine that if he was that valuable that he would have signed for a bigger bonus.

He opted out of the KBO draft. Not many Asian amateurs, especially from the KBO have had enough talent to do that and score a deal.

The Latin players are always the focus in the international draft.

He had more than a handful of teams making offers apparently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...