The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Sandy Alcantara has been moved to the BP over the last few days, was starting prior to this. Don't think it's just a coincidence this happened right after the Rosenthal news was learned...

I don't think he'll come up here and be thrust into the closer role, but he could pitch some late innings as a possible September call-up (if we're still in it)...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Sandy Alcantara has been moved to the BP over the last few days, was starting prior to this. Don't think it's just a coincidence this happened right after the Rosenthal news was learned...

I don't think he'll come up here and be thrust into the closer role, but he could pitch some late innings as a possible September call-up (if we're still in it)...

I'd much rather them put Hudson in that role. I'm all for giving Alcantara a call up next month, but I really don't want him pitching in any high leverage situations, he's still developing his secondary pitches and has pretty crappy command. 

2 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I'd much rather them put Hudson in that role. I'm all for giving Alcantara a call up next month, but I really don't want him pitching in any high leverage situations, he's still developing his secondary pitches and has pretty crappy command. 

If he could harness his control for a month we might be able to get another(blast from the past) Eduardo Sanchez situation. I'd hope it plays better than little Sanchez, though. 

I'd like to see a complete overhaul of our pen for next year. Obviously we aren't going to be able to get rid of everyone but we need a shakeup. 

I was at the game last night.  We got destroyed.  The score was not indicative of how badly we got beaten.  The Rays left a ton of guys on base.

Also, was it LGBT night at the park or something? The Westboro guys were out protesting causing a scene, then later BLM and AntiFA were out protesting causing a scene.  Usually there is an excuse for those groups doing what they do, but I was completely unaware of any reason.

Edited by DavidatMIZZOU

13 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My biggest regret this season is not selling high on Gyorko

I wish I could say that's my biggest regret.  Honestly, this whole season has been misplayed.  Moving Trevor Rosenthal at the deadline was inexcusable IMO.  The market for relievers with closing history is quite valuable, and we ended up losing him to TJS a few weeks later.  That one really made my blood boil.  We went from getting a legitimate package back for a good reliever to likely non-tendering him.  Absolutely butchered.

36 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Addition by subtraction. Also, I think we definitely make a run at re-signing Lynn.

We basically have to at this point. If not then we are going into the season with 3 Rookies in the rotation, one of whom is coming off of TJS

I hope we are planning on going into the season with this rotation;

1. Carlos
  2. Waino
  3. Lynn
  4. Weaver
  5. Reyes

Assuming Reyes is being held to an innings limit, dont even really stagger him out. Let him pitch normal (other than planned rest from TJS) and when his innings are up, just replace him in the rotation. If we are out of it, just let Jack get his feet wet as a ML starter. If we are in contention, make a move for an expiring starter to sure up the back end of the rotation, or maybe shoot higher if Weaver is looking like he isnt ready to be a playoff starter.

Edited by StLunatic88

16 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

We basically have to at this point. If not then we are going into the season with 3 Rookies in the rotation, one of whom is coming off of TJS

I hope we are planning on going into the season with this rotation;

1. Carlos
  2. Waino
  3. Lynn
  4. Weaver
  5. Reyes

Assuming Reyes is being held to an innings limit, dont even really stagger him out. Let him pitch normal (other than planned rest from TJS) and when his innings are up, just replace him in the rotation. If we are out of it, just let Jack get his feet wet as a ML starter. If we are in contention, make a move for an expiring starter to sure up the back end of the rotation, or maybe shoot higher if Weaver is looking like he isnt ready to be a playoff starter.

This.  No reason not to bring back Lynn at this point.  Weaver has earned his spot.  And it'll be Reyes' time, but you're right about watching his innings.  Not that we've been great about limiting pitchers' innings...

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Addition by subtraction. Also, I think we definitely make a run at re-signing Lynn.

Really shocked to see this when I woke up this morning.  Figured he would for sure be in our rotation for 2018, just creates another hole but opens up more salary.  Definitely makes Lynn re-signing a bigger priority now though, which means no draft pick unless he signs elsewhere.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?