The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

I was just looking around at our prospects and I knew we had some really good pitching prospects, but wow we're stacked! As early as next year our rotation could have 4 young, great pitchers

Carlos - Weaver - Reyes - Flaherty

Plus a wealth of other young guys that could be solid bullpen guys. 

Hudson - Fernandez- Alcantara - Gomber- Connor Jones - John Gant

The  cupboard is definitely stocked for big moves or a young, developing pitching staff. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

How interested would you guys be in pursuing someone like Wil Myers in the offseason? Any chance he's dealt?

I thought about him as a potential option for this off-season, but I really went back and dug into him and watched him somewhat this year. While he's a good player, I don't think he's that true impact hitter we need. I think he'd be yet another good, complimentary player. He'd also be very similar to what we already have.

He's got power and can drive in runs, but strikes out a ton, isn't a huge OB guy and his OPS has never eclipsed .800 in the last 3 years. That's not an impact guy to me. Granted, he plays in a huge ballpark and on a terrible team, but still...

I don't think the prospects we'd have to give up to get him (because the most marketable thing going for him is his long-term team friendly deal) equals what you'd get back in production...

Remember when people on here thought Mike Leake was going to only get worse and never come back to the 1st half type level he pitched at?

In his 3 starts since the trade to Seattle: 3-0, 2.49 ERA and 17K to 2BB in 3 starts...

Looks like the change of scenery is what he needed. Just makes me think even more how messed up our manager and his staff is...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Looks like the change of scenery is what he needed. Just makes me think even more how messed up our manager and his staff is...

Hey! You watch it there mister, Mike is a Saint! Do you know how much he has won with this team that he has put together all by himself!? FROM SCRATCH! He was great that year he managed that High School Team, he definitely deserved this job over all of the other candidates that weren't nearly as qualified...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

On a similar stud note; how good has Luke Weaver been since his recall? Seriously, he's been pitching at 'ace' like level...

6-1 in his 7 starts, and has averaged 6IP in those 7 starts. He's down to a 1.89 ERA on the season, with a 55K/11BB ratio...

Straight dominant...

The opponents were kind weak, though. i think he'll be good.

22 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The opponents were kind weak, though. i think he'll be good.

Yeah, I don't expect his career will be at this level, but this stretch has been great for him and for the team.  Maybe his potential is better than what I expected.  I hope so.  But I also expect the rest of the league to make some adjustments to him at some point.

On 9/14/2017 at 10:36 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I was just looking around at our prospects and I knew we had some really good pitching prospects, but wow we're stacked! As early as next year our rotation could have 4 young, great pitchers

Carlos - Weaver - Reyes - Flaherty

Plus a wealth of other young guys that could be solid bullpen guys. 

Hudson - Fernandez- Alcantara - Gomber- Connor Jones - John Gant

The  cupboard is definitely stocked for big moves or a young, developing pitching staff. 

We're definitely deep in SP, at least compared to positional prospects.

On 9/14/2017 at 11:32 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Remember when people on here thought Mike Leake was going to only get worse and never come back to the 1st half type level he pitched at?

In his 3 starts since the trade to Seattle: 3-0, 2.49 ERA and 17K to 2BB in 3 starts...

I mean, he was going to come back to his career averages.  The deal was more about shedding his contract more than anything else IMO.

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

And freeing a spot for our young guys or someone we bring in.

That's probably an added bonus as well.  We've got quite a few SP in the upper minors that should be MLB-ready within the next year or so.  It's a bit of a gamble given the uncertainty with the health of Adam Wainwright and Michael Wacha as well as Alex Reyes.  Regardless, it's exciting.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?