The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

11 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

On a similar stud note; how good has Luke Weaver been since his recall? Seriously, he's been pitching at 'ace' like level...

6-1 in his 7 starts, and has averaged 6IP in those 7 starts. He's down to a 1.89 ERA on the season, with a 55K/11BB ratio...

Straight dominant...

Never anticipated him being this good, although the usual SSS concerns are there.  1.5 WAR in just 47.2 IP is impressive, but the numbers will almost certainly regress.  And based on his pitch values, he's winning almost exclusively on his FB/CU combination.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's probably an added bonus as well.  We've got quite a few SP in the upper minors that should be MLB-ready within the next year or so.  It's a bit of a gamble given the uncertainty with the health of Adam Wainwright and Michael Wacha as well as Alex Reyes.  Regardless, it's exciting.

You can also bet a few of those guys won't be here after the offseason...

They'll be trade chips...

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Id imagine he is running low, and knows his body. but I would also imagine he might be the only guy who's ego isnt too big to go toss some innings of relief

Yep, nailed it.  He's takes a lot of pride in doing what he does, but he won't put himself above the team.  If he can help them in the BP, he will.  While his body's breaking down and skills appear to be slipping, he's still such a great leader for this team.  

Just now, tttmikeb said:

Yep, nailed it.  He's takes a lot of pride in doing what he does, but he won't put himself above the team.  If he can help them in the BP, he will.  While his body's breaking down and skills appear to be slipping, he's still such a great leader for this team.  

We have talked a whole lot about the Rotation for next year. And while we have talked about Reyes/Flaherty taking that #5 spot, I actually think we need to be going into 2018 with 7 viable Starter options. Next year Waino will be another year older, and I dont know if we can count on him to be a full time starter. I think we have to look at the probability of Waino/Reyes/Flaherty giving us the innings of 2 SP, and be happy if we get that.

What is really scary, right now we are relying on Luke Weaver to be essentially our #2 starter (2nd most reliable at least)

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Flaherty will remain in the rotation and make the scheduled start on Tuesday...

Adam Wainwright will head to the BP per Mo...

Makes sense.  We get an extended look at Jack Flaherty for the rest of the season, and probably protects Adam Wainwright.  Even if they threw him into the rotation, he probably isn't going to go very deep in games.  I almost wonder if this could set up a move to make Adam Wainwright the closer for the 2018 season.  Creates more issues in the rotation, but something that could be considered.  And if they're willing to dangle Flaherty/Piscotty for Sonny Gray at the deadline, could they do it again this offseason looking for a SP upgrade?

Martinez
SP via trade
Luke Weaver
Michael Wacha
FA Signing

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Makes sense.  We get an extended look at Jack Flaherty for the rest of the season, and probably protects Adam Wainwright.  Even if they threw him into the rotation, he probably isn't going to go very deep in games.  I almost wonder if this could set up a move to make Adam Wainwright the closer for the 2018 season.  Creates more issues in the rotation, but something that could be considered.  And if they're willing to dangle Flaherty/Piscotty for Sonny Gray at the deadline, could they do it again this offseason looking for a SP upgrade?

Martinez
SP via trade
Luke Weaver
Michael Wacha
FA Signing

I've been saying this since that news came out. I fully expect us to either acquire a SP or sign one in FA this off-season...

21 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I've been saying this since that news came out. I fully expect us to either acquire a SP or sign one in FA this off-season...

Honestly, I have no idea what is in store for this offseason.  And this probably the first offseason in a while that I've been excited for the offseason.  The only time I've really gotten excited for the offseason was when David Price was a FA.

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I have no idea what is in store for this offseason.  And this probably the first offseason in a while that I've been excited for the offseason.  The only time I've really gotten excited for the offseason was when David Price was a FA.

We need a middle of the order bat, a top of the rotation arm and should be revamping most of the roster (not to mention everyone other than Ownership knows we need a new Manager). You stack that up, sounds like we are describing one of the worst teams in baseball.

Kinda worried if we dont make some drastic moves, we may be continuing in the wrong direction.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

We need a middle of the order bat, a top of the rotation arm and should be revamping most of the roster (not to mention everyone other than Ownership knows we need a new Manager). You stack that up, sounds like we are describing one of the worst teams in baseball.

Kinda worried if we dont make some drastic moves, we may be continuing in the wrong direction.

I'm not even sure we need to revamp our roster, so much as we need to put our positional players in positions that are more comfortable to him.  Paul DeJong probably shouldn't be hitting 3rd, Stephen Piscotty with a rediscovered swing probably shouldn't bat clean up, etc.  IF we could acquire a true MOTB, and slide everyone into more natural spots it'd help out tremendously.  IF we acquired Josh Donaldson...

1B Matt Carpenter
LF Tommy Pham
3B Josh Donaldson
SS Paul DeJong
RF Stephen Piscotty
CF Dexter Fowler
C Yadier Molina
2B Kolten Wong

That's not a bad lineup by any means.  We could probably move Matt Carpenter, but that creates a hole at 1B and Molina probably isn't keen playing the majority of time there.  That "fixes" our starting lineup for the time being.  But like I've said, I'm still skeptical that the Jays are willing to move him and I'd imagine that they're going to ask for Luke Weaver, whose quickly moving into the untouchable list.  Would they accept a package that starts with Jack Flaherty?  Would the Cardinals be interested in that?  That's the bigger question.

The rotation to me is the bigger question.  You need to get roughly 1000 IP out of your rotation in a given year, and right now this is my rough projection for IP.

Carlos Martinez - 200 IP
Michael Wacha - 175 IP
Luke Weaver - 175 IP
Alex Reyes - 100 IP

That right there is 650 innings, which is short about 350 innings assuming everyone hits those marks.  Does Adam Wainwright go back into the rotation, or does he stay in the bullpen?  Does Jack Flaherty become one of the starters?  Or does he become trade bait.  There's just a ton of questions here.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?