The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thats the problem. Not saying that they would just sit back and do nothing, but there is no pressure to really force the issue as long as they are still selling tickets. (because they arent filling seats).

I just dont understand how this awful trend (WS loss to not making the playoffs) is not resulting in some serious action. Its the only think that will make this culture around the change.

Exactly! We've taken a step back in every year since Matheny came on. How much longer before they realize he's not the man for the job? Firing coaches only does so much, the root of the problem is the manager. 

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thats the problem. Not saying that they would just sit back and do nothing, but there is no pressure to really force the issue as long as they are still selling tickets. (because they arent filling seats).

I just dont understand how this awful trend (WS loss to not making the playoffs) is not resulting in some serious action. Its the only think that will make this culture around the change.

Given the track for record of Mozeliak (and the rest of the FO), I think they deserve the right to prove to us as fans that they know that their current situation isn't acceptable.  If we roll into the 2018 season with a relatively similar roster, I think we're absolutely right to be upset.  But we started to see the changes late in the year, albeit probably too late to make an impact on the 2017 roster.

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Exactly! We've taken a step back in every year since Matheny came on. How much longer before they realize he's not the man for the job? Firing coaches only does so much, the root of the problem is the manager. 

Unfortunately, the Cardinals aren't a team that makes drastic changes or react quickly.  They're probably not happy with Matheny, but they're probably not nearly as convinced that he's the issue either.

52 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It seems like I only rehash ideas I've taken from VEB, but we HAVE to give Lynn the QO, right?

It seems very illogical if we don't. We get a pick if he doesn't sign, we get 200 innings or trade bait if he does. Seems like a win-win.

There is never anything wrong with big short term contracts. So youre right, there is no real downside to extending the QO. Especially now when he is unlikely to even consider taking it.

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Seems like the front office really dislikes Tommy Pham. At least, that's how I see it. Am i way off there? 

I think you're off base here. No way he would have stuck around 10 years if they didn't think he could put it all together and stay healthy eventually...

Their patience paid off...

7 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It seems like I only rehash ideas I've taken from VEB, but we HAVE to give Lynn the QO, right?

It seems very illogical if we don't. We get a pick if he doesn't sign, we get 200 innings or trade bait if he does. Seems like a win-win.

Without hesitation.  I'm not sure where the idea pushes the Cardinals to decline offering him the QO.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?