The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, Eagles27 said:

Assuming there isn't anything too concerning with his medicals.. in a heart beat. 

Reyes would be an overpay, but I think Diaz has a lot of value. Would fetch at least a similar package to what the Phillies got for Giles IMO. 

Glad to hear us Cards fans aren't the only ones who think it's an overpay. We're talking about the guy that before the injury was arguably considered the #1 pitching prospect in all of baseball. He was also coming off a great initial showing thru his 1st stint at the MLB level...

Alex Reyes had TJS, which in today's game is about the most perfected surgical repair option out there. If he was dealing with a shoulder issue, or something else I'd be concerned, but not with TJS. barring a freak occurrence/tear (which could happen to any pitcher at any time) he should come back nearly identical as prior. All reports say recovery is right on track. He already began throwing near the end of the season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Diaz in a heartbeat as our closer, but Reyes is about as untouchable as it gets with the Cardinals, and rightfully so. 

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Diaz in a heartbeat as our closer, but Reyes is about as untouchable as it gets with the Cardinals, and rightfully so.

Part of that is because the Cardinals wouldn't get anywhere near fair value for him.  Not saying the Cardinals would even entertain an offer on him anyways.

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Good article on potential external options for the late innings for 2018. Includes another foreign option Yoshihisa Hirano...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/st-louis-cardinals

I honestly can't imagine the Cardinals spending a lot of money on their bullpen. I think we resign Nicasio and maybe a guy comes in for cheap...but don't see them doing much else. I actually think Alcantara plays a huge role in the pen next year. 

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I honestly can't imagine the Cardinals spending a lot of money on their bullpen. I think we resign Nicasio and maybe a guy comes in for cheap...but don't see them doing much else. I actually think Alcantara plays a huge role in the pen next year. 

That's assuming he's still here after this off-season. I still think he's another half to full season away. He needs to refine his secondary pitch and iron out his control issues...

I think we have majority of the BP is set, but 8th and 9th inning scare me. Signing Nicasio would go a long way, but still think we need another good arm.. 

That could just be Reyes to start the year though. Maybe if/when we move him to the rotation we look to add in season...

I like the idea of swapping one cast off for another with KC. Herrera is an impending FA after 2018 and KC won't retain him. He had a down year in 2017, but has been very good prior years. Thinking we flip a Diaz straight up for him. Just like Cubs did last year for Davis...

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

That's assuming he's still here after this off-season. I still think he's another half to full season away. He needs to refine his secondary pitch and iron out his control issues...

I think we have majority of the BP is set, but 8th and 9th inning scare me. Signing Nicasio would go a long way, but still think we need another good arm.. 

That could just be Reyes to start the year though. Maybe if/when we move him to the rotation we look to add in season...

I like the idea of swapping one cast off for another with KC. Herrera is an impending FA after 2018 and KC won't retain him. He had a down year in 2017, but has been very good prior years. Thinking we flip a Diaz straight up for him. Just like Cubs did last year for Davis...

Agreed.  I don't see the Cardinals paying anything big to relievers, I think their Brett Cecil signing put a bit of a damper on their willingness to hand out big money to relievers.  Think we could re-sign Nicasio to a 2 or 3 year deal for modest money, and let him have the inside track to the closer spot.

Not sure Diaz has the value to get Herrera.

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  I don't see the Cardinals paying anything big to relievers, I think their Brett Cecil signing put a bit of a damper on their willingness to hand out big money to relievers.  Think we could re-sign Nicasio to a 2 or 3 year deal for modest money, and let him have the inside track to the closer spot.

Not sure Diaz has the value to get Herrera.

I don't think we're afraid to sign anyone at any position if the FO covets  them, no matter what happened prior....

On 10/22/2017 at 6:32 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't think we're afraid to sign anyone at any position if the FO covets  them, no matter what happened prior....

Maybe not. But I would imagine that each part of the roster has a certain salary number allocated to it. And with Cecil’s contract, if we add a Nicassio deal, there isn’t much left for the BP

Looks like the Secret Weapon will be back with the Big Cards. Hopefully he fixes some junk but I'm not too hopeful he can. Also Willie Mcgee will be with the big squad everyday in an unknown capacity. It'll be nice to see his sad face all the time again. 

EDIT:: Beat me too it @ttitansfan4life

Edited by MOSteelers56

Glad to see Jose Oquendo back in the fold.  I'm interested to see who they bring in as their pitching coach.  Sounds like Jim Hickey already interviewed with the Cardinals, but if I'm a betting man I'd assume he ends up in Chicago with Maddon.  Apparently they also interviewed former Cardinal Cal Eldred for the position.  Not sure how I feel about that.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Glad to see Jose Oquendo back in the fold.  I'm interested to see who they bring in as their pitching coach.  Sounds like Jim Hickey already interviewed with the Cardinals, but if I'm a betting man I'd assume he ends up in Chicago with Maddon.  Apparently they also interviewed former Cardinal Cal Eldred for the position.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Eldred would make absolutely zero since. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?