The STL Cardinals Thread - Is It The Offseason Yet?

CWood21

On 11/29/2021 at 3:57 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m seeing internet people talking about moving Edman to SS. I question that fit. Has anyone seen anything about that?

I think the only way you'd see Edman go to SS if they found a 2B-only type.  And I think it'd be more in the situation that Nolan Gorman broke ST with the big league club, which seems unlikely.  Gorman seems destined to start the year at Memphis until he clears S2 status.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not that he's some ultimate authority, but Buster Onley droped his Top 10 at each position, and its interesting to see where each Cardinal landed;

Arenado and Goldschmidt both ended up as the #3 3B and 1B respectively. A 40 year old Yadi snuck onto the list at #9 for Catchers. And Tommy Edman got a nod as the final Honorable Mention at 2B. As expected, no mention of a SS.

The Outfield is alittle more interesting if you ask me.

Right Field is absolutely stacked, Acuna, Soto, Harper, Judge and Betts is a stupid good Top 5. But it is interesting to see Carlson be his second Honorable Mention. Nice to see as he continues to put things together.

Even more surprising though is Center Field, behind anther stacked list (including Trout, Springer, Robert, Bellinger and Buxton) is the first Honorable Mention of Harrison Bader. I guess a 30%+ drop in Strikeouts and a Gold Glove will do that for you. 

And while I championed him for a few years, even I would say, the most surprising is in Left Field, where Tyler O'Neill is lister as the NUMBER ONE player on his list. Thats over Benintendi, Ozuna, Christian Yelich, and even every BFIB's favorite Randy. 

Again, not saying these are the definitive rankings in any way what-so-ever, its just a crazy long way from where we were with these 3 guys going into last years Spring Training time.

• Like 1

The opening of the '21/'22 IFA signing period has started and the Cardinals have signed a few interesting FA.  The Cardinals have recently opted to spread their IFA bonus money over multiple players, and this appears no different this year.  The Cardinals signed SS Jonathan Mejia (#14 IFA prospect) and C Luis Rodriguez (#26 IFA prospect) as top 30 IFA.  Mejia is a switch-hitting SS who models his game after Javier Baez while Luis Rodriguez is a power-hitting catcher with developing defensive skills.  The most interesting might be Won-Bin Cho from South Korea who is a 5 tool CF who passed up on being drafted in the KBO to go to the MLB.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The opening of the '21/'22 IFA signing period has started and the Cardinals have signed a few interesting FA.  The Cardinals have recently opted to spread their IFA bonus money over multiple players, and this appears no different this year.  The Cardinals signed SS Jonathan Mejia (#14 IFA prospect) and C Luis Rodriguez (#26 IFA prospect) as top 30 IFA.  Mejia is a switch-hitting SS who models his game after Javier Baez while Luis Rodriguez is a power-hitting catcher with developing defensive skills.  The most interesting might be Won-Bin Cho from South Korea who is a 5 tool CF who passed up on being drafted in the KBO to go to the MLB.

We’ve built a great relationship with South Korea. We’ve got a pipeline. Cho looks exciting, but he’s very young. It’s exciting to get these guys.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We’ve built a great relationship with South Korea. We’ve got a pipeline. Cho looks exciting, but he’s very young. It’s exciting to get these guys.

Don't think any of them crack our top 10 prospects, but it's always nice to get some more young talent in the pipeline.

28 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

IDK, I think Cho could on the back end of the top ten. Apparently he was a hot commodity and the scouting site guys live him.

He reportedly got a 500k bonus to sign, so I'd have to imagine that if he was that valuable that he would have signed for a bigger bonus.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He reportedly got a 500k bonus to sign, so I'd have to imagine that if he was that valuable that he would have signed for a bigger bonus.

He opted out of the KBO draft. Not many Asian amateurs, especially from the KBO have had enough talent to do that and score a deal.

The Latin players are always the focus in the international draft.

He had more than a handful of teams making offers apparently.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 11:58 PM, CWood21 said:

Nobody is going to stop watching baseball because they missed one game.

Sure maybe I’m being obtuse using 1 game as the mark. But they would never miss only just 1. If The start of the season is delayed, it’s likely going to be like 20 games. 

They have us, so pretending how any of us here feel is a real representation is false. The casual fans, don’t care about them, and all this nonsense. They survived and recovered from ‘94 but this isn’t the same world. There are so many more things to occupy time, Baseball is no longer America’s pastime and top of the sports world, and it’s unlikely they could replicate the fever of the Home Run chase that brought everyone back in. 

Not to mention that the Hot Stove is just as important to casual interest in the game. Being in the news cycle, a constant reminder is more important in 2022 than ever before. 

They miss games, they lose fans. It’s that simple. 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 11:58 PM, CWood21 said:

Nobody is going to stop watching baseball because they missed one game.

Your missing the point though. They're already loosing the casual/younger fan base and have been for a while now. A lot of the hardcore fans still remember the last labor stoppage and if they miss any games it's going to have an effect on those types.

The fact that MLB and the MLBPA have let it get this far already is already taking a massive PR hit to the game, which as we know in todays world is a huge deal for companies. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 9:05 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Your missing the point though. They're already loosing the casual/younger fan base and have been for a while now. A lot of the hardcore fans still remember the last labor stoppage and if they miss any games it's going to have an effect on those types.

The fact that MLB and the MLBPA have let it get this far already is already taking a massive PR hit to the game, which as we know in todays world is a huge deal for companies. 

Go back to the NBA lockout.  How many fans stopped watching because they missed a couple dozen games?  The casual fans are always going to be casual fans.  They'll watch it because there's nothing else really going on. That's the beauty of MLB is that it comes in a dead period between NFL seasons.  When the NFL season ends in February until the first regular season games in early September, the only thing notable the NFL has is the NFL Draft which is usually from the diehard fans and that's only a weekend long.  The NBA season usually ends in June, so from June until early September the only major sports to watch is MLB.

Until we get to the point where we are missing an entire season, fans aren't going to take it personally.