The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

After having an atrocious first few months of the season, Zack Thompson has been pretty impressive his last handful of starts

His last 4 outings….

2-0 1.64 ERA

22 IP, 16 hits, 4 ER, 17 strikeouts, 6 walks 

I heard an MIILB podcast talking about how they thought he might've been tipping his pitches and that the staff had been working on that with him over the 2nd half.

I think it might be a little of that and the fact that he's now adjusting to AAA. I still think he's going to be a viable MLB piece. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

On 8/12/2021 at 10:44 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Nolan Gorman had a rough start in AAA (4/39 .102 BA, 0 XBH, -24 wRC+) 

But since then…

33/108 .305 BA, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 6 Home runs, wRC+ up to 87. 

And a very reasonable 20.5% Strikeout rate. I take that all day with him. Would like to see him walk more though. He’s got around a 5% walk rate. 

He and Walker man, they’re going to be fun to watch. 

I wonder what the plan for Gorman is next year? 2B? 

30 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We're better than the worst teams in baseball. 

This next series is going to define what this 2020 team really is. We're facing Brewers and 3 of the best pitchers in baseball during this series.

We're also lining up our 3 best (Wainwright, Flaherty and potentially Mikolas on Thursday).

If they can take 2/3, they might change my mind on what we can do down the stretch. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We're up to 6% chance of making the playoffs, up from something like 1.8% chance a few weeks ago.

4 games back in the 2nd wildcard spot now and the Padres are really slumping. Now if we could just get the Reds to start a loosing streak.

It'll still be an uphill battle to say the least, but 4 games with 44 to go isn't out of the realm of possibility. Just gotta take of winning our series' and let the rest play out. 

If they do that and they don't make the playoffs, I'll still feel a much better sense about this team heading into 2022. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?