The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I get it.  It's an overpay, but I get why that deal got done the way it did.

Eh. It’s essentially a one year $7.5m deal, and then treating the rest like that 10 year Legends deal with the organization. 

I know it’s not really that, but kinda works out to be. 

I know I originally said we need to grab a INF bat for the bench, but as I look at the veteran Bats worth adding, Im starting to change my mind a bit.

As much as I want us to get one of the top SS, its hard to see it happening when we barely sniffed the market last year (I believe we were hoping to get one of them to take a short term/opt out deal) as I think they are committed to Winn as the SS in the next few years, so a 5-6-7 year signing doesnt really fit.

So what if we go Edman at SS, Gorman at 2B and Donovan as the Super Utility as long as we can, then that leaves us looking at a real bat for DH...

What do you all think about Charlie Blackmon? He isnt what he was 4 years ago, but still a productive hitter, another Lefty bat, and one who has already transitioned to basically full time DH. Plus he doesnt muddle up the OF and wont block Walker once hes ready

Seems like it could be a good fit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I know I originally said we need to grab a INF bat for the bench, but as I look at the veteran Bats worth adding, Im starting to change my mind a bit.

As much as I want us to get one of the top SS, its hard to see it happening when we barely sniffed the market last year (I believe we were hoping to get one of them to take a short term/opt out deal) as I think they are committed to Winn as the SS in the next few years, so a 5-6-7 year signing doesnt really fit.

So what if we go Edman at SS, Gorman at 2B and Donovan as the Super Utility as long as we can, then that leaves us looking at a real bat for DH...

What do you all think about Charlie Blackmon? He isnt what he was 4 years ago, but still a productive hitter, another Lefty bat, and one who has already transitioned to basically full time DH. Plus he doesnt muddle up the OF and wont block Walker once hes ready

Seems like it could be a good fit.

A star SS would be nice, but I agree I don't see the Cardinals ponying up for one.  But as for the MIF, I think Brendan Donovan deserves the 2B spot unless he loses it in ST.  Nolan Gorman probably starts the year as the DH, but he'll get PT at 2B, 3B, and probably the OF too.  I think Nootbar, O'Neill, and Carlson are our starting OF until Jordan Walker is ready.  Catcher really seems like the only "hole" on the roster right now.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think we're going to change our starting OF in some way. IMO, I think the FO knows they can't count on Tyler O'Neill to stay healthy for a full season, even if he rebounds with the bat. I don't think they want to be in the position that they have to thrust Walker into a prominent role on offense where he is being relied upon if others struggle/injury in his 1st potential year vs. being more of a complimentary piece and coming along slowly.  I know Nootbar had a great 2nd half, but still don't think he projects as an everyday corner OF. 

I think you could see a guy like Brandon Nimmo on a 3 year deal in FA, or a potential trade involving some of our OF's on roster. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?