The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

I'm curious to see how the infield shift ban is going to impact LH hitters this coming season. You're seeing teams (i.e. the Pirates with Carlos Santana) take risks on guys who have had extremely poor BABIP numbers against the shift in past. 

(2) names who were really affected by the shift here - Lars Nootbar (.230 BABIP) and Dylan Carlson (.215 BABIP). 

• Like 1

Rumors are heating up that were making a hard push for Contrares now.

Id like that for the Lineup, not sure what that means for the Catcher position though. Some reports were out there that teams were looking at him as a DH an part time OF, and could rotate in at C. Could we look at Contrares AND another Catching option? Someone who is more of a Devender and game manager? I wouldnt hate it.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Id like that for the Lineup, not sure what that means for the Catcher position though. Some reports were out there that teams were looking at him as a DH an part time OF, and could rotate in at C. Could we look at Contrares AND another Catching option? Someone who is more of a Devender and game manager? I wouldnt hate it.

Interesting thought. I think it would probably just be him and Knizner rotating but I wouldn't hate it either.

I'd still rather trade for Murphy and sign a SS but I think that's a pipe dream at this point. As long as we make a splash move to hang with the top dogs in the NL, I'll be happy. 

I'm not sure the Cardinals are going to be committing that much money to the C position.

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Interesting thought. I think it would probably just be him and Knizner rotating but I wouldn't hate it either.

I'd still rather trade for Murphy and sign a SS but I think that's a pipe dream at this point. As long as we make a splash move to hang with the top dogs in the NL, I'll be happy. 

I think you can stop day dreaming about a SS, we just arent going to commit the years

And trading what it sounds like the A's are going to be asking for Murphy sounds like an awful move

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure the Cardinals are going to be committing that much money to the C position.

But it wouldnt be to just the C position, and thats my point, it would me more the DH spot than anything

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Goodness. First of all, I hope Dan gets the help he needs. Second, it looks like we'll have a new Play-by-play announcer next season. 

Unfortunate. Love Danny Mac's calls. Alcoholism is indeed a disease. Only way you could even begin the somewhat rationalize why someone would ever put this type of career in jeopardy. 

He was able to survive the first (2) DUI arrests, but you'd have to think Bally and the Cardinals won't tolerate a 3rd and the PR black-eye it brings. 

Hopefully he gets the treatment he needs and it sticks, which is the most important thing here. He's got (4) young kids to support. 

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that A's catcher Sean Murphy is atop the Cardinals' list of trade targets.

Apparently we're infatuated with him. National outlets are expecting he could be dealt to a team by end of winter meetings on Thursday.

I really dont like the idea of sending Maysn Winn for him. 

Which in my mind is what the ask would be, and fully explains our reported increased interest in Swanson, as not having Winn in the pipeline would be what is needed to offer the years it would take to get one of these SS.

Not that I wouldnt want Swanson, I just dont see Murphy as worth the prospect package it will likely take

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Athletics are seeking major leaguers rather than prospects in a potential trade involving catcher Sean Murphy.

Rosenthal adds that the Athletics are telling interested clubs that they will hang onto Murphy if they don't receive a satisfactory offer and also notes that no team has separated itself in recent discussions. Despite numerous recent reports that a deal was imminent, it doesn't sound like a deal is close to done yet. Oakland may wind up hanging onto Murphy, who has three years of team control remaining, if they're unable to find a team willing to meet their asking price.

@StLunatic88 color me shocked. I too thought it was going to be significant prospect types, but sounds like they're looking for MLB proven talent or guys that are just breaking in. That is highly uncharacteristic of the A's. 

Doesn't sound like it gonna come together soon though.  

• Like 1

Which in my mind is what the ask would be, and fully explains our reported increased interest in Swanson, as not having Winn in the pipeline would be what is needed to offer the years it would take to get one of these SS.

Not that I wouldnt want Swanson, I just dont see Murphy as worth the prospect package it will likely take

Do you think we could get a deal done with a package centered around Gorman and maybe Burleson? 

43 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Do you think we could get a deal done with a package centered around Gorman and maybe Burleson? 

I mean as @kgarrett12486 just shared, sounds like that might be more of the package they are looking for

I would honestly be shocked if thats the case, to me its more likely that the package needs to include MLB ready players, but if thats all they want then I would guess its someone more on the Carlson level they are looking for rather than Gorman.

But if its Gorman they would want, Ive made my thoughts on him pretty clear (I think hes closer to Brett Wallace than most want to admit) and Id make that deal immediately, even if it also cost Burleson

But I keep going back to the Swanson interest, especially if we are in a bidding war with the Cubs over him. Id be happily surprised, but unless we have Winn earmarked for another trade (for like an Ace?) it just doesnt fit what we normally do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Masyn Winn is probably right up there with Jordan Walker in being as about as untouchable in trade talks as I think you can make him.  He's a top 50 prospect and there's no concerns about his ability to stick at shortstop.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?