The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Doesn't sound like it gonna come together soon though.  

I wouldn't put too much stock into that posturing by the A's.  They're going to take a haul for him.  As long as teams don't lowball Beane, he'll accept a deal for Murphy.

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

Do you think we could get a deal done with a package centered around Gorman and maybe Burleson? 

I think Nolan Gorman and [insert any semi-notable secondary piece] is the standard framework of a potential Murphy deal.  I think that second piece could include one of Matt Liberatore, Alec Burleson, Ivan Herrera, and Tink Hence to name a few.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean as @kgarrett12486 just shared, sounds like that might be more of the package they are looking for

I would honestly be shocked if thats the case, to me its more likely that the package needs to include MLB ready players, but if thats all they want then I would guess its someone more on the Carlson level they are looking for rather than Gorman.

But if its Gorman they would want, Ive made my thoughts on him pretty clear (I think hes closer to Brett Wallace than most want to admit) and Id make that deal immediately, even if it also cost Burleson

But I keep going back to the Swanson interest, especially if we are in a bidding war with the Cubs over him. Id be happily surprised, but unless we have Winn earmarked for another trade (for like an Ace?) it just doesnt fit what we normally do.

Moving Carlson for Murphy doesn't really make sense for St. Louis.  You're filling one hole at the expense of creating another hole.  Unless you think Nars Lootbarr or Tyler O'Neill (not likely) are capable of holding down the CF position.  Carlson isn't untouchable by any means, but if they were reluctant to part with him for Juan Soto I don't think they're going to turn around and include him in a Murphy deal.  Gorman is the obvious centerpiece.  They're dealing from an excess (MIF) and getting back a need.

Heyman reported a few hours ago that the Cardinals are the favorites to sign Contreras.

The Dansby Swanson thing is interesting.  If I were the Cardinals, Bogarts would have been the SS I would have targeted.  And I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that the Cardinals view Edman as a utility piece in the sense that he can play all over the diamond.  There's not a very long track record of him in CF, but is it possible they view him as passable in CF?

24 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

If they’re going after a SS, Bogarts should be the target. May be a mediocre defender but I’ll take his bat anyday over Swanson

Agreed, but I haven't seen anything linking us to him. If we end up with Murphy/Swanson, I'll be ecstatic. 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Moving Carlson for Murphy doesn't really make sense for St. Louis.  You're filling one hole at the expense of creating another hole.  Unless you think Nars Lootbarr or Tyler O'Neill (not likely) are capable of holding down the CF position.  Carlson isn't untouchable by any means, but if they were reluctant to part with him for Juan Soto I don't think they're going to turn around and include him in a Murphy deal.  Gorman is the obvious centerpiece.  They're dealing from an excess (MIF) and getting back a need.

Heyman reported a few hours ago that the Cardinals are the favorites to sign Contreras.

The Dansby Swanson thing is interesting.  If I were the Cardinals, Bogarts would have been the SS I would have targeted.  And I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that the Cardinals view Edman as a utility piece in the sense that he can play all over the diamond.  There's not a very long track record of him in CF, but is it possible they view him as passable in CF?

Gordon Wittenmyer of NBC Sports Chicago reports that Willson Contreras has received multi-year contract offers from three teams -- including the Cardinals and the Astros.

It's sounding like the Astros, Cardinals and potentially the Tigers are the (3) teams making major pushes in the C market. Sounding like if Murphy gets dealt, or Contreras signs (whichever comes first) the other teams will pivot to that player.

Really think Contreras or Murphy will be a Cardinal in coming weeks.

Also heard that the fallback is James McCann. Yuck.   

23 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It's sounding like the Astros, Cardinals and potentially the Tigers are the (3) teams making major pushes in the C market. Sounding like if Murphy gets dealt, or Contreras signs (whichever comes first) the other teams will pivot to that player.

Really think Contreras or Murphy will be a Cardinal in coming weeks.

Also heard that the fallback is James McCann. Yuck.   

As much as I want Murphy, I'd be fine with locking in Contreras to make sure we get one of the two. Don't want to push it and wait for Murphy if it risks losing both. 

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Oh I didnt think that we would make that move, I was saying I thought thats the level of return they are looking for, a step up from Gorman.

I would say though, I think they are a bit more bullish on Walker playing CF than most would expect. Not saying it will work, I just think they believe he can.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?