The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

A few minor league notes here…

Dakota Hudson made his 2nd rehab appearance tonight. 

2.2 ip, 2 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts 

Memphis played a double header today. Nolan Gorman went 4/5 with 2 doubles and an RBI in the first game and did not play in the 2nd game. Gorman’s BA is now at .289 which is pretty damn impressive for a guy who started his AAA career something like 3 for 29. Also, Juan Yepez continues to absolutely rake. 3/4 in the first game with a double and 3 RBIs and 1/3 in the second game with his 25th home run. 

Lastly, Nick Plummer seems to be playing well in AAA so far. Really small sample size but in his first 9 games he’s…

.348 BA, .595 OBP, 10 walks, 5 strikeouts, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 2 SB, 228 wRC+

again, small sample size. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Cardinals are considering moving in the outfield fences in 2022. Ay thoughts on this?

We've had the 2nd most pitcher friendly confides at Busch for the last 3 years on average (only SF's park has been greater).

I kind of like the big OF. We have tons of speed in our OF, so it's fun seeing them fly around. 

Focusing on the positive's from the last few days:

1. Adam wainwright announcing he will indeed pitch in 2022. It's all but inevitable with Yadi returning, that it will be with us. 

2. So cool to see Pujols do what he did last night. Would be cool to see Waino, Yadi and Pujols all reunite for 1 more year in 2022. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Focusing on the positive's from the last few days:

1. Adam wainwright announcing he will indeed pitch in 2022. It's all but inevitable with Yadi returning, that it will be with us. 

2. So cool to see Pujols do what he did last night. Would be cool to see Waino, Yadi and Pujols all reunite for 1 more year in 2022. 

I agree about #2. Of course, I think #1 is very positive too. I was thinking about Pujols coming back, and honestly, I'd love it. He's better than Carpenter. Especially if the DH comes, we should absolutely give him a contract. He can DH and play the very occasional 1B. I think we could be competitive and still have Pujols/Waino/Yadi ride off into the sunset. Waino looks as good as ever, Yadi is ageless, and Pujols can hit his 700th with us. Plus with an infusion of talent into the pitching staff, we can absolutely compete with that roster. Bring up some of the young arms, bring in a few Vets, let it ride. That would be really fun.  

I’ll admit when I’m wrong and Waino has definitely been a bright spot of very disappointing year. He’s been a stud for most of the season even by normal pitcher standards, but for someone who is 40, incredible. Nice to see an actual pitcher who can go longer than 5 or 6 innings as well. Seems like he’s the only one who can, go figure. I do like having him back as a bottom of the rotation guy next year but we should definitely be looking to add someone at the top of the rotation to go along with Flaherty.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The Cardinals plan to use Alex Reyes as a multi-inning reliever for the rest of the season.

Good, start stretching him out. Hes never had a relivers mentality, and doesnt have the pitch repertoire to be a closer. He was just our most talented thrower in the pen 

Think we can officially rule out the idea of KK being back with the Cardinals in any capacity in 2022.

He did an interview with a KBO reporter and told him he learned about being removed from the rotation only a few hours before a game and wasn't allowed to ask questions about his role. He said essentially he was frustrated by this.

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Think we can officially rule out the idea of KK being back with the Cardinals in any capacity in 2022.

He did an interview with a KBO reporter and told him he learned about being removed from the rotation only a few hours before a game and wasn't allowed to ask questions about his role. He said essentially he was frustrated by this.

I mean..... does it make Shildt look bad, maybe a bit. But it also makes KK look like a baby too

Did we really want him back though? Hes gonna be lookin for more money, and doesnt deserve it.

Im rolling with Jack, Waino, Mikolas and a upgrade Free Agent (id like Sherzer, not holding my breath) and then the mix of Reyes/Hudson/Liberatore/Thompson to fill out that 5th spot and supplement injuries

• Like 1

As much trash many fans have talked on Reyes, he just went out and threw a Gem of an inning to the top of the Reds order in a tie game in the Top of the 8th, including a very smart pitch-around of Castellanos

it was only 14 pitches (I think) with no struggles really, so I’m sure there’s no way he will stay in for another inning

• Like 1

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?