The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Does Fowler sit? I know O’Neil is going to go through some struggles, especially when pitchers make the adjustment....but I kinda hope the Cards ride or die with him in the lineup, could be this years DeJong and hit you 20-25 homers. 

Honestly, right now Id throw Ozuna jump on that 10 day DL and see if whatever is bothering him (shoulder/elbow) rest and see how he feels after some rest. Then make the choice in a week or two

7 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

Man, that was ridiculous.  Chapman had recently broken Hicks' record for the fastest pitch of the year with a 103.something.  Hicks broke that record on all 5 pitches of that AB.  Crazy!  But yes, his lack of K's is weird.  Hopefully that improves with experience.  I would have to think it would.

I would hope so, but that is his biggest knock. Even though the minors he didn't miss a ton of bats...

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Losing 2/3 to the Royals really hurts. That's one of those series you look back at in September as a potential playoff breaker... 

Hopefully Marcell Ozuna can wake up and get to the park on time while he's on the road...

Against an AL team?

What’s everyone’s feelings on Oscar Mercado? Dude stunk with the bat his first few years in the system but then had a breakout year last year and this year he’s absolutely raking. And he’s improved on his K-rate and walk-rate. 

This year in AAA..

43 games, .343 AVG, .397 OBP, 8 doubles, 6 homers, 11 stolen bases 

13% k-rate, 8.2% wall-rate, 135 wRC+ 

Seems like his fielding (he moved from SS to CF) and baserunning is ++ and his bat is just getting better. 

13 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Alex Reyes tonight in Memphis...

7.0 ip, 1 hit, 0 runs, 1 walk, 13 strikeouts 

yeah...he’s ready.  

Im glad we arent messing around with that Bullpen nonsense with Reyes. 

Thankfully Mo has said he will be inserted into the rotation

What do you all think will happen with the rotation when Reyes does arrive and when Martinez comes back? At that point, we'll have those two plus Mikolas, Flaherty, Wacha, and Weaver.  I'd be surprised to see a true six-man rotation.  Maybe they rotate some guys through the 10-day DL for rest's sake?  It's a good problem to have.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?