The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

13 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

George Springer might be the only Free Agent this year that I’d feel good about giving more than a 2 year contract to. I don’t think we will, but I was also surprised by Fowler. 

We're going to have a lot of competition for him, if we pursue...

But I agree, he's the one impact FA I see as a realistic fit/need...

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Welp... certainly didn’t see this move coming. And honestly not sure I can see a plan that makes me think it’s a smart move. 

It's a cost-cutting move, no way other to slice it.  Why pay Kolten Wong $12M when you can pay Tommy Edman peanuts?

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's a cost-cutting move, no way other to slice it.  Why pay Kolten Wong $12M when you can pay Tommy Edman peanuts?

Exactly. I think this move is telling in how much of a financial impact this FO projects in lost revenue from COVID...

They'll either try to resign Wong to a longer term deal with less AAV this year and next to offset, or they'll move forward with Edman making near league minimum...

I'm fine with it. I see Edman as an upgrade offensively at the position, with a decrease defensively. However, still think Edman can be above average defensively at 2B. The real question is now 3B. Are they going to go back to Carp (most likely), or go after a FA/trade piece, or give Gorman a true look...

I think we all need to temper our offseason expectations on FA signings (of any significance at all, not just the tier one and two guys) and even resigns...

The Wong option decline was telling to me in much ownership feels they lost...

The FO also let go most of the special assistants (Chris Carpenter, Izzy, Edmonds) yesterday too. Mo had said these guys were an intrigual piece to their ST and drawing guys here just a few months ago...

Edited by kgarrett12486

Yeah I’m honestly fine with the move. And I agree @kgarrett12486 I think we need to lower our free agent expectations. 2021 is going to be a recovery year. There’s been a ton of talk about George Springer lately and I never even thought that was a realistic possibility. I think they role with a Carp/Miller combo at 3B and I’m not even as sure as I was 24 hours ago that Yadier Molina comes back. A lot of talk that Larussa could go hard after him if he gets the Whitesox gig. 

Hopefully were in a better position after the 2021 season to improve this team. Got some big contracts coming off the books with some Huge Free Agents hitting the market. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm fine with it. I see Edman as an upgrade offensively at the position, with a decrease defensively. However, still think Edman can be above average defensively at 2B. The real question is now 3B. Are they going to go back to Carp (most likely), or go after a FA/trade piece, or give Gorman a true look...

I mean, it's not even that.  By declining his option, the Cardinals are basically saying that they don't believe they can pure salary dump him.  Does anyone think that there wouldn't be a team who was willing to gamble on him for 1 year at $12M?  I get there's going to be a cash shortage this offseason, but I don't think it's that tight.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's not even that.  By declining his option, the Cardinals are basically saying that they don't believe they can pure salary dump him.  Does anyone think that there wouldn't be a team who was willing to gamble on him for 1 year at $12M?  I get there's going to be a cash shortage this offseason, but I don't think it's that tight.

IDK, if you would've asked me a few months ago, I would've said yah they'll be some teams out there that would take him at his option price or even slightly higher. Fast forward to now, I'm not so sure. We've seen a lot of mid to small market teams looking to cut salary and declining options already. We're not just talking about has beens, there are guys like Brad Hand who had really good years and had a reasonable option being turned away. I mean, MLB came out and said they took a 200 million loss over the season...

Kolten Wong has elite defense, but his bat has been below average outside of 2019. I mean you're talking about a guy who had a .061 ISO last year. The grading scale has .080 as absolutely awful...

I'm not so sure he's going to have an easy time finding anymore than a 1 year 5-9 million prove it deal in this market...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

IDK, if you would've asked me a few months ago, I would've said yah they'll be some teams out there that would take him at his option price or even slightly higher. Fast forward to now, I'm not so sure. We've seen a lot of mid to small market teams looking to cut salary and declining options already. We're not just talking about has beens, there are guys like Brad Hand who had really good years and had a reasonable option being turned away. I mean, MLB came out and said they took a 200 million loss over the season...

Kolten Wong has elite defense, but his bat has been below average outside of 2019. I mean you're talking about a guy who had a .061 ISO last year. The grading scale has .080 as absolutely awful...

I'm not so sure he's going to have an easy time finding anymore than a 1 year 5-9 million prove it deal in this market...

I mean to me, by the Cardinals not picking up the $12.5 million dollar option tells me he’s not getting that on the open market. IMO the cardinals would of signed and traded if that was a possibility. 

Bill DeWitt III was on radio today and asked about this upcoming offseason:

- Team is already committed to about $135-$150 million in payroll. They will not be increasing from last years mark. 

-Didn't come right out and say it, but hinted that they're focus is on resigning Yadi and Waino. If they do both of those, don't expect anything else in FA or trade market that would increase payroll. Don't expect any significant FA or trade adds either way...

-Say they lost approximately $130-$150 million in gate revenue and sponsorship revenue from the past season. Said Cardinals were actually one of the middle teams when it came top loosing money; said a big market team he spoke with took albatross loss... 

-Thinks we may see FA's deals being pushed out even further than the last few years due to the unknown and teams not being able to forecast; thinks there could be significant FA's that remain unsigned into February or beyond...

On 11/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, CWood21 said:

Not surprised.  Best case scenario, they were going to freeze payroll.

If that number were true (not sure I believe that it is) then we have $20-35m to spend

If you were going to be able to keep Yadi/Waino I feel like you had to know that before Free Agency hits, and them being linked elsewhere makes it feel like they arent coming back.

Which is what makes the Wong situation puzzling to me. 

I dont think we are adding anything of substance, maybe a aging vet or two later in the FA period as so many of them will be sitting out there without the big contracts they were hoping for this year

• 2 weeks later...
  • CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?