The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not to doubt Rosenthal in anyway.  But I would just let everyone know that Goold is reporting from the Cardinals side that the deal isn’t done at this point

Framework is now in place for the opt outs and Arenado agreed to waive the NTC, so barring it being declined by the league/union it should happen...

Hats off to Mo and company on this one, as this trade had a lot of hurdles to clear on both sides to get done, but they found a way in an offseason that is anything but normal...

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yadi and Waino I’m kind of eh on... Wish we had a WS level roster to give them a big send off but still not seeing it with this team even after getting Arenado. Some players would have to make huge leaps in their development(Carlson) and require players like Fowler, Bader, and Carpenter to not suck. Plus I don’t see a strong enough rotation or bullpen. Not sure what else we could do to add to this roster either.

I disagree with the roster being weak as a whole. We now have as legit a MOTO lineup as most anyone in the NL outside of the Dodgers...

We have the best defensive infield in baseball. We have a bonafide ace in Flaherty and our rotation as a whole can matchup with most any (Waino, Mikolas, KK)...

Bullpen is still very strong and gains back one of the most electric and effective arms out there in Hicks...

Agree that the biggest question mark on paper remains the OF, but I saw enough in Carlson last year to make me think he'll continue to progress and project to be another impact bat. Not worried about him. Bader wasn't great, but wasn't terrible in 2020 (he needs to pick it back up defensively though, as that was where his primary regression lied). If he maintains that level of play, or even slightly improved he's a more than serviceable CF. The other corner OF spot is the problem, but we have 3 guys that will battle for that spot. You would like to think one of them will ascend, or if not you can at least get a serviceable platoon out of them...

Matt Carpenter now being pushed to a utility player is the best thing for him and this club...

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Hats off to Mo and company on this one, as this trade had a lot of hurdles to clear on both sides to get done, but they found a way in an offseason that is anything but normal...

Have to give credit to everyone on this deal.  For as much as Dewitt has consistently talked about wanting payroll flexibility, it wasn't always prevalent those words meant anything.  But to add a $25M/year player after the money that the Rockies tossed in is nothing to slouch about.

9 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I disagree with the roster being weak as a whole. We now have as legit a MOTO lineup as most anyone in the NL outside of the Dodgers...

We have the best defensive infield in baseball. We have a bonafide ace in Flaherty and our rotation as a whole can matchup with most any (Waino, Mikolas, KK)...

Bullpen is still very strong and gains back one of the most electric and effective arms out there in Hicks...

I'm still a bit leery of the rotation.  Carlos Martinez hasn't been an effective starter in about 3 years now, and Mikolas missed the entire year with injury so we really don't know what he's going to be in 2021.

2B Tommy Edman
RF Dylan Carslon
1B Paul Goldschmidt
3B Nolan Arenado
SS Paul DeJong
C Yadier Molina
LF Dexter Fowler
CF Harrison Bader

That's a pretty good lineup right there.  You'll probably run Marp out in LF, and there's always the Kolten Wong variable.  I think it's inevitable that Yadier Molina returns now.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm still a bit leery of the rotation.  Carlos Martinez hasn't been an effective starter in about 3 years now, and Mikolas missed the entire year with injury so we really don't know what he's going to be in 2021.

Fair assessment. I'm not counting on anything from Martinez. I'm not sure he even stays in the rotation. If he gives us anything more than middle relief it'll be a positive. Could be the year we see Reyes inserted back into the rotation, or a Ponce claim the role, or even Helsley stretched out...

If there is one thing I know, we always have an innate ability to find/develop quality starting pitching...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Fair assessment. I'm not counting on anything from Martinez. I'm not sure he even stays in the rotation. If he gives us anything more than middle relief it'll be a positive. Could be the year we see Reyes inserted back into the rotation, or a Ponce claim the role, or even Helsley stretched out...

If there is one thing I know, we always have an innate ability to find/develop quality starting pitching...

If we get anything out of Alex Reyes, I'm stoked.  He hasn't thrown over 50 IP since 2016.  And his control has gone backwards in the last two seasons.  Hoping (or even expecting) him to be anything more than a reliever is a dream IMO.  He's a reliever at this point in his career.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If we get anything out of Alex Reyes, I'm stoked.  He hasn't thrown over 50 IP since 2016.  And his control has gone backwards in the last two seasons.  Hoping (or even expecting) him to be anything more than a reliever is a dream IMO.  He's a reliever at this point in his career.

I don’t agree that they look at him that way. He is for sure going into Spring Training as a Starter. If he gets beat out from there then fine. 

Starting to be able to piece this together.  Sounds like Austin Gomber and Jake Woodford are the two primary pieces.  Let's see what else comes out.

EDIT: Ken Rosenthal said Luken Baker ISN'T part of the deal, so that leaves Angel Rondon and Jhon Torres as the other guys mentioned.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They planned to stretch him into a starter going into ST. Obviously, with the pandemic, no minor leagues and shortened season, it changed that plan...

Agree with @StLunatic88. He's still viewed as a potential starter if you listen to Mo or Girsch talking about how he fits in...

1 minute ago, kgarrett12486 said:

They planned to stretch him into a starter going into ST. Obviously, with the pandemic, no minor leagues and shortened season, it changed that plan...

Agree with @StLunatic88. He's still viewed as a potential starter if you listen to Mo or Girsch talking about how he fits in...

I mean, you can hope for it to happen but do you really think he's going to give us 150+ innings?

Just now, CWood21 said:

Has anyone notable reported Yadi potential re-sign?  Or is it just connecting the dots?

Goold reported Yadi has been telling teammates he's coming back and was just waiting to formalize it until after the Dominican series, so Cardinals couldn't put kebosh on him playing in it...

Waino pretty much gave it away in his presser the other day too. Wore a Molina mask and said he's been in contact with Molina every few days to see his thoughts, as he didn't want to leave if Yadi was staying...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?