The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you can hope for it to happen but do you really think he's going to give us 150+ innings?

I think he's capable of getting 150 innings with a true ST and off season regimen being prepped to start. 

Honestly though, I dont think whoever is in that 5th spot is getting to that mark. I think you're going to see a group of guys getting starts there throughout the year, or even piggy backing each other...

1 minute ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think he's capable of getting 150 innings with a true ST and off season regimen being prepped to start. 

Honestly though, I dont think whoever is in that 5th spot is getting to that mark. I think you're going to see a group of guys getting starts there throughout the year, or even piggy backing each other...

He hasn't gone over 100 innings since 2016.  I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong, but that's an injury to happen.

Just now, CWood21 said:

He hasn't gone over 100 innings since 2016.  I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong, but that's an injury to happen.

He's been an injury waiting to happen his whole MLB career. At some point, they have to unleash the reigns and see if he can fit the mold...

Like I said, I don't think he gets to that mark with how this year is still going and will likely be in more than a few piggy back starts if he's the #5...

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

He's been an injury waiting to happen his whole MLB career. At some point, they have to unleash the reigns and see if he can fit the mold...

Like I said, I don't think he gets to that mark with how this year is still going and will likely be in more than a few piggy back starts if he's the #5...

Best case scenario, they start the year with him as one of their SPs, shut him down around June-ish for a few weeks, and then bring him back in the bullpen.  Aim for 120 innings out of him.  If they get 120 innings, that's a success IMO.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Best case scenario, they start the year with him as one of their SPs, shut him down around June-ish for a few weeks, and then bring him back in the bullpen.  Aim for 120 innings out of him.  If they get 120 innings, that's a success IMO.

F that. I want 200+ innings and a Flaherty-Reyes combo dominating the Dodgers in the NLCS like we all predicted 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you can hope for it to happen but do you really think he's going to give us 150+ innings?

I do think he can. That’s what he is, and was on track to be part of the rotation at some point in 2020 before COVID happened. 

It’s obviously Flaherty, KK, and Waino locking down 3 spots, and then the mix of Reyes, Carlos and Mikolas rotating as the 4/5 guys depending on their health. Not to mention Gant, Helsly, Ponce, and Fernandez as factors there throughout the year.

If things don’t look great at the dawn of camp, there are still going to be vets out there that we can grab on 1 year deals. We shouldn’t have to lean on the starting pitching as much anymore

So if Gomber, Woodford and Rondon are indeed involved in the Arenado trade, where does that leave our pitching depth? I think there are going to be some guys to keep and eye on in Spring training to see if they can take that next step. Not a step into the rotation but steps toward being a valuable 26th or 27th piece on a roster. Shuttling back and forth from Memphis to St. Louis.

Would be nice to see Johan Oviedo and Evan Krucynski fill those spots. 

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So if Gomber, Woodford and Rondon are indeed involved in the Arenado trade, where does that leave our pitching depth? I think there are going to be some guys to keep and eye on in Spring training to see if they can take that next step. Not a step into the rotation but steps toward being a valuable 26th or 27th piece on a roster. Shuttling back and forth from Memphis to St. Louis.

Would be nice to see Johan Oviedo and Evan Krucynski fill those spots. 

I think Liberatore is someone they're projecting to be helping out the big league roster at some point this upcoming season.

27 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Kinda sucks to lose Montero but it's still an A+ trade for the Cardinals. And I'm kind of glad we didn't give away all of our pitching depth. 

I'm good with it! Would rather have lost Montero than Torres anyway. I think Montero won't stick at 3rd and he really got exposed at double A with his free swinging approach to the breaking ball...

Plus, we keep Woodford who could be valuable piece to the BP this year...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?