The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Kinda sucks to lose Montero but it's still an A+ trade for the Cardinals. And I'm kind of glad we didn't give away all of our pitching depth. 

Honestly, I think Mateo Gil is the bigger loss here.  Montero is blocked by Nolan Arenado in this deal, and he's got Nolan Gorman and Jordan Walker behind him as well.  While I don't think Gil is more than a utility MIF, I love the bloodlines connection.  Really think Montero at best gives them league-average production while playing a passable defense at 3rd early in his career before moving over across the diamond.  Locey is probably at best a 7th/8th inning arm.  Sommers is a non-prospect, and IIRC he was a senior who was drafted to save money.

Derrick Goold reported yesterday that Cards were in talk with OF Joc Pederson prior to him signing with the Cubs. Still thinks we're in the market to add a LH hitter. Thinks we may shift attention to trying to bring back Brad Miller...

He also said he doesn't think Wong is of interest to the Cards. Can't say I disagree with that, especially after seeing Wong's tweet after the Waino signing...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Derrick Goold reported yesterday that Cards were in talk with OF Joc Pederson prior to him signing with the Cubs. Still thinks we're in the market to add a LH hitter. Thinks we may shift attention to trying to bring back Brad Miller...

He also said he doesn't think Wong is of interest to the Cards. Can't say I disagree with that, especially after seeing Wong's tweet after the Waino signing...

Goold also tweeted that they could be looking for Middle infield depth. Bringing Brad Miller back makes a lot of sense. Just as long as he doesn’t hit clean up anymore! 

And what about Jonathan Schoop? That would be a nice bat off the bench and good insurance at 2B. 

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Kolten Wong just signed a 2-year deal with the Brewers. 

It is what it is.  There's only so much money to spend, and if it comes down to Arenado or Wong the answer is pretty damn easy by just about every metric.  It would have been nice to have him back, but the money wasn't going to be right and I'm with the Cardinals on this one.

9 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’m assuming big moves are out the window now after the Arenado trade. Would love to bring back Ozuna. That lineup goes from good to elite.

Probably.  There's probably some money leftover even after re-signing Yadier Molina.  Unless someone is willing to take a bargain deal, they're probably done but I think there's room to spend.

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Tommy Edman
SS - Paul DeJong
3B - Nolan Arenado
LF - Dexter Fowler
CF - Harrison Bader
RF - Dylan Carlson

SP - Jack Flaherty
SP - Adam Wainwright
SP - Kwang-Hyun Kim
SP - Miles Mikolas
SP - Carlos Martinez
CL - Jordan Hicks

11 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Interesting tidbit I heard today indicating we may be looking into the SP market:

'According to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, free agent James Paxton is "in the range" of starters that the Phillies and Cardinals are considering. Feinsand also puts Jake Odorizzi and Taijuan Walker in that same range.' 

Not sure if the Cardinals are actually considering it, but there has been 2 guys here in the St. Louis media pushing the idea that a 6-man rotation wouldn’t be a bad idea. 

Would love Odorizzi. 

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Interesting tidbit I heard today indicating we may be looking into the SP market:

'According to MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, free agent James Paxton is "in the range" of starters that the Phillies and Cardinals are considering. Feinsand also puts Jake Odorizzi and Taijuan Walker in that same range.' 

Paxton would be an interesting buy-low candidate, but the BOR is already muddled as it is.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?