The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I can’t remember where I saw It but someone had suggested Carlson in the 3-hole and honestly the more I think About it, the more I’m a fan of it. 

1. Tommy Edman 2B
2. Paul Goldschmidt 1B 
3. Dylan Carlson RF
4. Nolan Arenado 3B
5. Tyler O’Neil  LF
6. Paul DeJong SS
7. Yadier Molina C
8. Harrison Bader CF 

Only problem I see with that is then outside of the top of your order, its RH heavy 4-8...

I like the idea of Carlson being in the middle (5-7 range) to break that up...

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I can’t remember where I saw It but someone had suggested Carlson in the 3-hole and honestly the more I think About it, the more I’m a fan of it. 

Guys, Nolan is our best hitter, he should NEVER hit lower than 3rd. He needs to hit every single first inning and get as many at bats as possible.

Now if you would say to move Goldy to 4th and Nolan to 2nd and squeeze Carlson between the two, then maybe. But Id rather we not mess around and just keep our two best hitters at the top of the order and fill in the rest behind him. 

Assuming this is the ONeill we are getting, the he is a great fit for the Cleanup Spot. And while I really do like the idea of Carlson sandwiched between TON and DeJong, I really dont think I can see Tadi being OK hitting as low as 7th in this lineup. He's gotten more and more prickly though the years, and he has always seen that 5th/6th spot as his, and if we have to work around that, it throws a wrench in the lineup.

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Tommy Edman 2B
2. Paul Goldschmidt 1B 
3. Dylan Carlson RF
4. Nolan Arenado 3B
5. Tyler O’Neil  LF
6. Paul DeJong SS
7. Yadier Molina C
8. Harrison Bader CF 

Flip Goldy and Carlson, and O'Neill and DeJong and I think that's the right lineup.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:36 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

If O'Neill can continue this kind of hitting into the season, personally, I'd like to see our line-up eventually looking like this in- season:

1. Edman 2. Goldy 3. Arenado 4. O'Neill 5. Carlson 6. DeJong 7. Molina 8. SP spot 9. Bader

-New school thought of having Goldy and Arenado get as many AB's as possible. Schildt subscribed to this last year and had Goldy in the 2 hole several times. 

-O'Neill has the thump to be a clean-up hitter. 

-Putting Carlson between O'Neill and DeJong (both of whom are high strikeout rate guys) gives us a switch hitter to break-up the RH hitters and a contact guy between them. 

_Like the idea of Bader as that 2nd leadoff guy at bottom of line-up, but probably not as feasible now that DH isn't instituted this year...

After looking through everyone's thoughts, I still think this is the best line-up option to open. Gets our two best hitters the most AB's, lengthens the lineup and breaks up the RH dominance in the middle-later part of the order. 

1. Edman

2. Goldy

3. Arenado

4. TON

5. Carlson

6. DeJong

7. Molina

8. Bader

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

After looking through everyone's thoughts, I still think this is the best line-up option to open. Gets our two best hitters the most AB's, lengthens the lineup and breaks up the RH dominance in the middle-later part of the order. 

For sure the Optimum lineup for what we currently have. Like Ive said though, Im worried about Molina

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

John Nogowski and Jose Rondon should both make this team out of ST, but they won't...

The Bader injury opened the door for Nogowski.  You've got Lane Thomas as your defensive replacement, 5th OFer type.  Rondon and Sosa are competing for the same spot IMO.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The Bader injury opened the door for Nogowski.  You've got Lane Thomas as your defensive replacement, 5th OFer type.  Rondon and Sosa are competing for the same spot IMO.

True, forgot they're going to put Bader on the IL to start year. I heard they might keep 3 reserve outfielders though (Williams, Thomas and Dean).

Rondon has looked much more capable than Sosa this ST, but Sosa will make the club as he's out of options..

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

True, forgot they're going to put Bader on the IL to start year. I heard they might keep 3 reserve outfielders though (Williams, Thomas and Dean).

Rondon has looked much more capable than Sosa this ST, but Sosa will make the club as he's out of options..

God I hope Dean doesn’t make the team. 

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Before yesterday, I would have said Nogowski had zero shot, even with the Bader IL stint. But now that we got an extra option for Williams, they can keep whoever they best feel deserves it out of ST.

• Like 1

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?